Author Topic: New to Colorado Springs, need a repair shop - help!  (Read 3097 times)

Fishrule

• n00balicious
New to Colorado Springs, need a repair shop - help!
« on: August 30, 2005, 07:40:46 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm a newbie, but I tried to do my "due diligence" (searched these forums for a repair shop in the Springs), but no luck.  So, I need some work done on my 2000 Passat Wagon V6, and I need a good shop in Colorado Springs.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:50:10 PM »
First of all, welcome! The V6 30v owners are a minority on this board, but some of us are fairly knowledgeable. If you have any repair or modification questions, some of us (e.g. me) can help you extensively, so don't feel afraid to ask!

Second, there was a recent post, but since you were duly diligent we won't hold it against you, that might be on topic, here is the link:

When due diligence fails, just ask!

So, what's wrong with the Passat?

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:50:10 PM »

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 08:27:27 PM »
Hey, welcome to the boards!

Another sugeston is to ask the fellows at www.edition719.com since they are based out of the springs. While they aren't a Passat specific (not like we are anymore either) club, they are very VW centric and can probably help.

Good luck!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Fishrule

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 10:58:44 PM »
Thanks to both respondents so far.

Ben, the following items are currently on my radar screen: driver's side rear window regulator just broke (following the driver's and passenger's front regulator replacement - is this a common problem?), I'm hearing a rattling from the driver's front wheel - hope it's not the CV's - both of those were replaced ~35K ago, and finally, and most annoyingly, the VW dealer in FL where I bought the car diagnosed two bad catalytic converters - get this, at 82K, just after the emmisions warranty ran out.  Their quote for replacement? Over three grand.  The Service Manager was visibly embarrassed when delivering that figure.

That last item is most dear to my wallet and heart because I've put off attempting to register my car in CO because I don't believe I can pass the emmisions test.  I'm really at a loss on this one.  Any thoughts?

Andrew, I've put a similar post up on the Edition719 website.  Thanks for the recommendation.

-Kyle

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 02:09:36 AM »
Audi's and VW's do have a habit of eating window regulators.  pretty common.

CV joint will be a clicking or clunking sound, and usually only when the wheel is turned

as for the cats there is likely a difference between being faulty enough to make noise vs not working enough to pass emissions.  also, aftermarket cats should be MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper than the 3K quoted.

Oh, and if you are living here even if you don't need to register the car, you will still need emissions.  you need emissions test for plates, but no plates does not mean no emissions.  you might just get a test to see if it really is a problem that needs to be fixed or if it is merely an annoyance for you to deal with when you can.

good luck.

oh, and welcome to the club.   :D
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 02:37:47 AM »
On the catalytic convertors, here's what I'm saying.  Okay, so you can go to an Audi/VW dealership and get yourself some OEM catalytic convertors and pay a ton of money for them, or...

My cats are also going out, even though I had them both replaced by the dealer under warranty at around 50,000 miles.  I'm going the performance route this time.

The catalytic convertors I am looking at buying are $170 apiece, so $340 total.  With the welding/fitting work required, I'm assuming I'll be paying around $500 for the cats with the install.  Significant performance upgrade? Probably not. As environmentally friendly? No, they are 200-cell cats compared to the OEM 400-cell.  

But if you're looking maybe for performance, or maybe just for some replacements cats, the aftermarket alternative is much cheaper.  If you want the information I have, I can send it to you.  I have four current sources willing to manufacture them for the 2.8 30v A4 (I'm sure yours would be the same).

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 01:29:19 PM »
Oh and ECS Tuning has cats for the 30V V6 for $89-99 dollarsdepending on whether you're looking for a 2.25, 2.5 or 3" openings.

ECS Tuning Web Site

I second Andrew's(gragravar) suggestion about the emissions. Just go get it done and find out where you are. No need worrying about it til there's something to worry about.

Good luck!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 06:28:08 PM »
Here are the links shared with me by a fellow 2.8 tuner on another forum.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/powercat.htm
http://www.performancepeddler.com/
http://www.metalsubstrate.com/
http://www.omnitekcorp.com/cata.htm

He has the cats sold through performancepeddler.com, and seems to have been fairly pleased with them.  They come in sizes similar to those offered by ECS Tuning as OEM.

I will also note that I have a failing catalytic convertor, and I passed emissions a few weeks ago under the "second chance criteria." I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably won't have any major problems.

Ben

Soar07

• n00balicious
Import Specialty Auto or Aspen Coachworks
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 12:36:23 AM »
A friend recommend Import Specialty Auto, they have already helped me avoid a tire blow out that was waiting to happen on my passat that I recently bought.  I just got an oil change today, at Aspen Coachworks. They seemed pretty professional also. They only charged $56 including tax for full synthetic.

Soar07

• n00balicious
Import Specialty Auto or Aspen Coachworks
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 01:14:30 AM »
A friend recommend Import Specialty Auto, they have already helped me avoid a tire blow out that was waiting to happen on my passat that I recently bought.  I just got an oil change today, at Aspen Coachworks. They seemed pretty professional also. They only charged $56 including tax for full synthetic.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 03:29:25 PM »
If you have questions on pricing, labor time or need advise, please fell free to call me or PM me here.

My shop is a little far for you to drive to for work, but if you can not find someone in the Springs, we would be happy to help you.

BTW - Welcome to the club!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Kelly

• Stock
    • http://www.llewsirc.com
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 07:39:10 PM »
Quote from: "Fishrule"

That last item is most dear to my wallet and heart because I've put off attempting to register my car in CO because I don't believe I can pass the emmisions test.  I'm really at a loss on this one.  Any thoughts?
-Kyle

if you still need help gettin 'around' the emissions part of registering you r car let me know.
i may be able to help ;)

im also looking for a general vw maint shop in the springs, for my 01 1.8t.
URL=http://www.llewsirc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=251]I HAVE A TOWNHOUSE FOR SALE IN COLORADO SPRINGS.. BUY IT!![/URL]