Author Topic: I may put the Passat up for sale  (Read 1824 times)

jfrahm

• Modded
I may put the Passat up for sale
« on: August 30, 2005, 03:37:31 PM »
I hate FS feeler posts, in general.  However this has been a tough decision for me and I suppose I'll really know if I'm serious if I can or cannot actually post the ad.  Maybe posting on the subject will help, and getting some advice wrt price and desireability.

I have a 2004 Passat GLS 1.8T 4motion, five speed manual, black exterior with gray cloth interior.  Stability package, cold weather package. 8200 miles on it so far. It currently has A6 wheels on it (that I was going to use for winter tires) but I have a set of Vancouver wheels and OEM Contis I would put on it to sell.  It also has an aux-in cable for the OEM stereo.

I like the car a lot, but I can live without it.  I feel like I'd rather spend the money on a used car (probably with more miles and out of warranty) or invest the money I currently spend on the Passat and use my beater Park Avenue as a daily driver for a couple of years.  As dorky as the Buick is, it has been 100% relaible over the summer (I had a houseguest who drove it) and I have done the maintenance on it so it should be trouble-free for a couple of years.

I plan to ask $19K for the Passat.  I see a lot of cars like mine for sale for more money, but they are either at a dealership or they do not seem to be selling.

Do you think my car would be desireable (at a reasonable price) with the 4motion/1.8T/5speed combo?  Personally I think it is a great combo but I had a dealer tell me they cannot sell the 5-speeds.

Here is a pic of the car with the A6 wheels:

And the Vancouver wheels that are going on:

Thanks for any input,
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »
I think it is a really nice car, Joel.  I wouldn't buy it, because I'm looking more at niche cars, but if we were back to the days when I was looking for an A4, I would definitely heavily consider yours. Black cars are almost always cool.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 05:09:06 PM »
I think that is a low price... We got more than that for trade in value when we bought the '3'.  I think someone will snatch that up fast... IMO.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 05:43:11 PM »
Thanks!  I don't think the price is overly low, but I might be wrong.  There is a silver or gray car just like mine on Craigslist, although his has leather.  Similar mileage, same year.  He was asking $22K.  I emailed him to see how it was going.  He had gotten a couple of emails but no one had looked at it.  There is also a gray Passat just like mine that has been for sale in Denver for over a month.  I think he started at $22K and is now at $21K.  I do not think I could get $20K for the car in this market.  Maybe I'll ask $19,5 and hope for $19K.  I'd be happy with $19K.

Dealers can get more for a car than a private owner can, they can work the financing, etc.  People are also more comfortable buying from a dealer, generally (although I personally think you learn a lot more actually meeting the person who has owned and maintained the car.)   Dealerships advertise cars like mine for $24k-$25K, I do not know what they sell for, and that would be somewhat meaningless with financing and add-ons taken into consideration anyway.

I do not want to try to get every last nickel out of the car either, I'd rather the buyer get a good deal and feel good about the car from the get-go.
It's a great car and I think the perfect Passat for the enthusiast driver.  If I replaced it, I'd get an inexpensive A4, A6 or maybe a 90 Quattro Sport.  It'd be smarter to bank the money (at least for a year) and see how it goes living without a great AWD car.  In a year the Passat and A3 quattros should be out too.

-Joel.

kutarkvalidus

• Stock
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 05:51:16 PM »
Let me know if you really plan on selling it, i have a friend who is looking for this exact vehicle.  He really likes the passat's, but we can't seem to find any with the 5speed.  4motion is awesome and would definitely be a bonus.  Please IM me, and i'll get with my buddy Joe and see what he wants to do.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:30:56 PM »
I sent you a PM, I'm not much of an IM-er.  

I'm pretty serious about selling it.  It's hard 'cause it's such a great car, and hard to think about dealing with all the lowballers and flakey people I'll have to deal with.  I will try to get the other wheels on it tomorrow.  I need to detail the car and take more pictures, maybe I can get it on Craigslist for the weekend.

Worst case: I have a clean car with good all-season tires on it and an inbox full of offers to buy the car with counterfeit cashier's cheques.

-Joel.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 03:30:07 PM »
Charles came over last night while I was swapping wheels, washing the car, etc.  and we got the car closer to being ready to show.  This morning I put it up on Craigslist and listed it for sale here.  The car looks really good today even though I have only done two of the three steps of the Meguiars polish/wax process.

On Friday or Sat AM I will shampoo the carpets, clean the interior and wax the car.  Even if no one buys it, it could use the detail, and I alreadly like the car more with the Vancouver wheels and shiny paint.  

Next I have to decide (before bedtime) if I want to run an ad in the paper, which gets it into cars.com.  I think I will see if I get interest from CL and here and decide at the end of the day.

Thanks for the input,
-Joel.