Author Topic: C&D tests the GLI  (Read 3430 times)

TurboDub

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« on: September 04, 2005, 03:23:24 PM »
I got the new Car and Driver issue the other day. In it they tested the new GLI, so I thought I'd share...

Comparisons to the "old" GLI and A3 were inevitable I guess. It seems like they were impressed with the overall package though...

Once the scan opens in a new window, click on it to enlarge it! (so it's more readable)

Sorry the images are in the wrong order... :roll:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

kutarkvalidus

• Stock
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 03:58:42 PM »
damn 7.1 to 60?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 03:58:42 PM »

Scuba2001

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:43:06 PM »
Quote from: "kutarkvalidus"
damn 7.1 to 60?

People on Vortex were asking the same question.  1st gear is REALLY short.  You're at 5500-6000 rpms before you know it.  In most cars, you can keep it in 2nd gear until 60.  In the GLI, since the gears are a little shorter, there is a second shift into 3rd.  That shift delays the car slightly.

I didnt read the article at all, but the results would depend on if the 0-60 was done in a DSG, or manual transmission.  DSG is shorter time from what I recall.

And, when would a car like this be used in a straight line?  In most cases, it wouldnt.  Just not made for straight line stuff.  The GLI is made to shine in the twisties.  And it does so flawlessly so far.  IMO, of course.

Im still loving my GLI.  And every magazine has had great things to say about it so far.

Steve

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 09:50:20 PM »
I find it interesting they compared it to a WRX.  The numbers they show for the WRX are more like the LGT numbers for price, etc.  You can get a LGT non limited for the price of the GLI, etc...so they must have tested a very expensive Rex.

Also, the MPG rating of the Rex is like 20mpg.  Well, I have a bigger motor in the outback, more power, and much heavier, but I get about 24mpg on average, and that is with spirited driving.  I bet if I baby this next tank, I can push in the 26 range.

I wonder where they get their comparison numbers from, most likely old tests, but still, numbers seem a little skewed to me.  That being the case, I bet the acceleration time for the GLI is different, depends on driver and conditions.

Auto week posted that the LGT can do 0-60 in under 5.4 seconds.  others say it is over 6.0 seconds.

So, depending on where the numbers come from and how it was officially tested.....numbers can be off.  I bet the GLI has better numbers than the 7.1 quoted in the article.

I think they did a nice job on it overall....still really trying to get used to the rims though...they may work for some, but they kinda remind me of some gangstah rapper spinner looking things...A better set of rims would do wonders for the GLI...like a BBS or something, like they used to do.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 10:00:25 PM »
Steve's rims are much better, hopefully most of the USDM ones come with the ones he has, because if they come with those that are posted in the article, I am gonna lose even more faith in VAG cars.

Scuba2001

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 10:27:30 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
Steve's rims are much better, hopefully most of the USDM ones come with the ones he has, because if they come with those that are posted in the article, I am gonna lose even more faith in VAG cars.

People call those wheels the cheese grater wheels.  They are some polished finish, and just dont appeal to the lines of the rest of the car.

Im sure once wheels become available in the correct offset, they will be looking a whole lot better.  54mm offset wheels arent easy to find.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 05:01:46 AM »
I'm disappointed that the Jetta V and GIT V no longer offers BBS wheels.

I actually like the "cheese grater" wheels, though I think they look more like film reels, but that's because they are very Alfa Romeo looking (which they have been using for years on all of their models in Europe).

The Jetta GLI really needs a more agressive and lower suspension -- I can't believe the huge wheel gap.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Scuba2001

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 01:33:33 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
I'm disappointed that the Jetta V and GIT V no longer offers BBS wheels.

The Jetta GLI really needs a more agressive and lower suspension -- I can't believe the huge wheel gap.

Im disappointed as well.  I would have liked to see some nice CH's or something on the GLI.  But hey, you have to do what you have to do to keep costs down, and I think that was a major concern.  BBS wheels arent cheap, and $28k sticker for the GLI as it is without the BBS' is a pretty price already.

There is TONS of discussion about the GTI/GLI ride height.  Why is it high?  To meet USDOT "5 Star" crash ratings, the height had to be "X" amount to be able to withstand the new SUV crash barrier.  Here's what Jamie had to say about it.

Jamie VWVortex:
"I don't know yet how the final U.S. spec GTI will sit, but it is a safe bet that it will be similar to the GLI. The reason being that here in the U.S. there is a newer SUV side impact standard (see photo below). In the photo below you can see the outline of the "older" car side impact crash barrier that hit quite a bit lower on the vehicle. The larger grey barrier with IIHS written on it is the new "SUV" side impact standard that is a lot larger and impacts higher on the vehicle.

In order for the Golf/Jetta to get a five-start side impact rating the ride height needs to be higher to ensure the vehicle gets a five-star rating. Since the regular Jetta and Golf V are getting a five-star rating, VW can't risk the liability of having GTI and GLI have a lesser side impact rating.

So.... Yes, the european suspension will still bolt right on the car and I expect that those that don't want to slam their car will put the euro suspension on the car since it is damn-near perfect.

I've gone to bat on this ride-height issue the entire time I've been involved in planning and working on the U.S. spec GTI/GLI models. I won some battles (DSG with launch control, most aggressive "sport" mode transmission programming for DSG in the GTI/GLI, ensuring white and tartan cloth for the U.S. market, and more...) and some battle like ride height are just out of my or VWoA's product planners control. Sorry gang, I tried... =)

-jamie"

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 02:58:56 PM »
Damn SUVs!

I'm sure many will look to Eibach or H&R to make their GLIs sit a little better.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Scuba2001

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 03:46:13 PM »
Yes, most are.  Vogtland makes a nice "Race" setup right now.  Personally, Im looking forward to the release of the Koni/Vogtland coilovers.

evil_O

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 04:00:47 PM »
I think it is a kickback/ploy....  :wink:

VW keeps their ride height high and aftermarket (SEMA folks and alike) get to continue playing....
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

kutarkvalidus

• Stock
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 10:26:44 PM »
I heavily doubt under any circumstance that the new GLI would do 5.4 to 60mph, my S4 won't do that stock.  Not to mention that the GLI is almost as heavy, and has ~50 less HP (and a lot less area under the curve as well).

Either way, the car can still handle great around a track, it can still post slow lap times due to a lack of power.

Scuba2001

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 11:26:35 PM »
Quote from: "kutarkvalidus"
I heavily doubt under any circumstance that the new GLI would do 5.4 to 60mph, my S4 won't do that stock.

I dont believe anyone said that it could.  C&D has it as 7.1.  Others are 7.4.  It really all depends on current conditions.  Official weight of the car is 3353, and 197hp.  Still not a bad weight combo imo.

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 11:46:39 PM »
I can testify to what Jamie said about the European suspension being damn near perfect... the rides they were giving at Waterwagens were just simply.... ORGASMIC...  

They were using right hand drive UK spec GTI's and it was just flat out amazing how well they held the road. They also had a US spec GLI out there and it could not hang. All of these were driven by professional drivers, and yes they did switch cars... the UK spec cars were just outpacing the US spec GLI in an incredible fashion, but the GLI was still holding it's own and it was still a very impressive ride.

Scuba2001

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 12:44:35 AM »
Euro spec and US Spec cars have different setups and ride heights.  All due to DOT's "great" suv testing.   :roll:

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 01:02:01 AM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
Euro spec and US Spec cars have different setups and ride heights.  All due to DOT's "great" suv testing.   :roll:

Yeah I got that part... I was just saying that getting the euro suspension is probably the cheapest option for most and it is probably not going to get much better handling wise... possibly some sway bar tweaks, but it does the job more than adequately. The ones I was riding in were on a road course (Pacific Raceway) at speed with a professional driver pushing the car as hard it I have ever seen a car pushed!!

Scuba2001

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 02:03:55 AM »
A rear sway wouldnt hurt.  A buddy mad mine "tested" Saturday night and he said the same thing.  Rear end kicked out a little much, but other then that, he was pretty impressed.

kutarkvalidus

• Stock
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 12:50:09 AM »
My bad, i misread a post, person was referring to an LGT.

BHase

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 06:36:05 PM »
If I ever need to prepare a fondue, I'll give you a call. You can bring your wheels and grate some Gouda for me.  :twisted:

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Scuba2001

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 01:40:39 AM »
This is how the GLI should have looked from the factory.

TurboDub

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 12:03:42 PM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
This is how the GLI should have looked from the factory.

+1!!!!
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

BHase

• Modded
C&D tests the GLI
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 01:58:18 PM »
That is awesome. +2

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay