Author Topic: Introduction and Help!  (Read 2000 times)

cardinal

• n00balicious
Introduction and Help!
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:07:24 PM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Kevin, I just bought a 1995 audi A6 quattro after owning other german cars and just my luck it needs a new engine!

I posted in the wanted section, but if anyone can maybe point me towards some place on the net other than here where I can find some useful information I would appreciate it!

much thanks!

:D
ah damnit

jfrahm

• Modded
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 03:21:38 PM »
So what's the story behind the A6 with the bad engine?

As for a motor, try car-part.com.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Introduction and Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 03:21:38 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 03:26:40 PM »
Well if you haven't found it already, http://www.audiworld.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 03:28:29 PM »
to be more exact, her eis the 100/a6 forum:

http://www.audiworld.com/forum/a6100.html

and if you want to look into doing the 5cyl turbo this forum might help, the s-car forum:

http://www.audiworld.com/forum/s4s6.html

jfrahm

• Modded
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:53:30 PM »
You can fit a 5 cyl turbo in place of the 2.8v6?

cardinal

• n00balicious
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 04:05:28 PM »
we think the car was driven into a river or lake...

my problem is that it was MAD clean when I bought it, my audi buddy even checked it off as clean and a safe buy. Apparently when we got in there, there were some rusted bolts and some other clues that it was flooded. At this point we think the head is cracked and rather than spend the money to fix it, I estimate I can save money and time just getting a new engine...

I'd like to find a 5cyl turbo but as I am being told, most of those are way high mileage...

that and the cops have been rabid on I-25 this month :(
ah damnit

cardinal

• n00balicious
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 04:07:14 PM »
ya I am bein told the 5cyl will fit, but as it has been said I am worried about a new tranny too... kinda negates the "broke college student needing a ride" theory  :?
ah damnit

BHase

• Modded
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 05:21:58 PM »
I don't think replacing it with another 2.8 12-valve engine is a bad idea. That engine also has some solid tuning options (though no forced induction that I am aware), and you should be able to buy one through any of the online parts finders that will do engines.  Just put in an inquiry. I recommend Shokan (http://www.shokan.com).

EDIT: If you look at Shokan, they also have quite a few 20v 5cyl turbo engines available. Just click on the cars to see what condition that stuff is in. I've used them several times, and have always been happy. They're not the absolute cheapest reseller/refurbisher available, but they're easy to work with and quick to respond.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

BHase

• Modded
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 05:25:07 PM »
Where are you going to school anyhow?

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

jfrahm

• Modded
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 06:16:16 PM »
Head gaskets are more likely than a cracked head, unless it was drowned maybe.  I would check the compression and see if it's using coolant, maybe check for one very clean plug.  You could just toss in another engine and do the timing belt, water pump, etc. but it might be cheaper to fix the one you have.  A used motor will probably cost $2K plus exchange, probably a bit more labor with a head gasket R&R than a motor swap but still it'd come out cheaper.

What are the symptoms?

-Joel.

cardinal

• n00balicious
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 06:18:02 PM »
CU Denver
ah damnit

cardinal

• n00balicious
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 06:20:23 PM »
well I found an engine for 500 bucks then I need to ship it...

to fix it I am looking at giving it to a shop cause I am not able to do that kind of work unfortunately. Also I am working under a time restraint as well, git r done asap :wink:
ah damnit

BHase

• Modded
Introduction and Help!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 12:00:21 AM »
Quote from: "cardinal"
CU Denver

I have a couple of friends who go to UCD right now; one of them in his last semester before med school, the other just started this semester (it is his second year).  Good luck with that!

As for the engine, I'd really consider my options if I were you before investing any time and money into it.  Another engine may possibly be the simplest way of doing things, but in my opinion you should get the one you have looked at. You never know, it may just be some sort of minor problem (especially if you had the car checked out beforehand and it seemed fine).

Ben