Author Topic: Fender Roller - rolling  (Read 3023 times)

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Fender Roller - rolling
« on: September 21, 2005, 12:08:20 AM »
I am looking at potentially rolling my fenders to put a little wider tire/wheel set up on my car.  

I have seen them online used once for $200, and tire rack sells one for $300.

Does anyone know about the process or has done it to their car?  Also anyone know of a place to rent them locally?  I know avalon used to have one, but I heard it was stolen.

Thanks.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:24:11 AM »
There was talk of Tire Source in Boulder having one. I need to roll mine pretty bad  (fronts) and would be wiling to spit the rental cost with you if you're interested.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:24:11 AM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:54:37 AM »
someone on Audiworld has one I believe.  I think Van recently rolled his fenders, so you might want to check with him, or see who did this recently on Audiworld.

gragravar

• Supercar
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 02:24:34 AM »
I think Van got (rented) the one from tire source.  IIRC it is rented for $15-25 per day.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:48:19 PM »
pat, van  and cole just did theirs a few weeks ago. You can rent the roller from TireSource in boulder.  I am sure pat, cole, or van can provide you some tips and suggestions if needed.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 01:41:35 PM »
Yep, Cole and I did ours together.  Rented it from Tire Source.
Two tips:
1.  Heat up the fender with a hair drier until it is a little too hot to touch.
2.  Increase pressure on the fender VERY gradually.  I'm guessing you should roll towards the back of the car, then back towards the front a total of about 150-200 times.  At first you may feel like you're not accomplishing anything.  Be patient.  An extra five mintes spent doing each one could mean the difference between cracking your paint and not cracking it.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 02:42:42 PM »
i have a heat gun packed away somewhere if someone needs it to heat up your fender.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 02:44:36 PM »
I would not recommend using a heat gun.  It might save time, but it's way easier to damage your paint with that than a hair drier.  Patience is key here.  Be sure you allocate more time than you think you'll need.  An extra hour or two is well spent if it prevents you from cracking your paint.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

SivNiz

• Stock
    • http://
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 02:47:27 PM »
I have a heat gun with a digital heat control if you want to borrow it.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 02:53:37 PM »
ooh, I think I want to debadge my Passat, still debating, good to know you have a heat gun.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 03:10:27 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
ooh, I think I want to debadge my Passat, still debating, good to know you have a heat gun.

I just used Dental Floss and they came right off. Then a little goo gone to take off the residual.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 03:36:32 PM »
I just wanted to warm em up a little to make it easier, I suppose a little effort wont hurt ;)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Fender Roller - rolling
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 03:54:10 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I just wanted to warm em up a little to make it easier, I suppose a little effort wont hurt ;)

Jay -  now that i think about it, my car was parked outside in the sun before i took the badge off. So i guess they were warm. I suppose a hairdryer would help loosen the adhesive.