Author Topic: Technology gets the best of gietl....  (Read 2992 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Technology gets the best of gietl....
« on: September 27, 2005, 07:10:25 PM »
So this weekend I got a Parking Brake Fault message on my MFD for my B6 passat. Luckily this happened when I disengaged the p-brake.

Yesterday I added to my already scheduled appt the need to correct this fault.

Today I go to lunch and am sitting at a light, I decide I need my handsfree stuff for my phone so instinctively I reach over and push teh faulty P-brake button...bgbgggrrrrr....the brakes engage, bing, p-brake fault. Me, OH SHIT.  I am stuck, the p-brake is engaged and wont disengage.

On go the hazards and I call McDonald VW, they put ,me through to VW RSA and they call Jeffco Sherrif and a towtruck since I am blocking traffic :)

So I am sitting there waiting, it had been a half hour, no popo, no tow tow. So I start teh car again, p-brake still wont disengage. Turn teh car off. I realize that when I started the car last the fault was cleared, albeit temprarily, so I start cycling the fob from off to on. Nothing, still shows the fault.  Give it one last try, no light, step on the brake, hit the button, bgbgggrrrrr...the brake disengages, bing, p-brake fault message in the MFD.

I start the car and drive my ass to osborn since they are closest to my work. They were waiting on me hand and foot, of course this was after Mr Concescending Salesman came out and told me my problem was that I left auto hold on and the p-brake auto engaged.

I said, oh really, then why does it say PARKING BRAKE FAUL PLEASE READ OWNERS MANUAL in my MFD.  He shut up after that and was very cordial. Oh, and this weekend I read the owners manual, it says to take it in for sevice, LOL.

Now I have this dope Chevy Impala rental from the Budget rent-a-car place next to Osborn. Some old guy picked me up and drove me across the street, but decided to take colfax and almost killed us. I could have walked in 1/4 of the time it took us to drive there. At least it's a free rental. I looked forward to abusing the hell out of it until the guy that helped me (franchise owner) is a guy I went to high school with.

Whew....

September 27, 2005

Technology 1 - Jay 0

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 07:44:54 PM »
LOL nice job troubleshooting! All it needed was a reboot :lol:

Ok so the B6 Passat has a parking brake BUTTON? That is too cool -I want pictures... :D
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 07:44:54 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 07:50:48 PM »
Well when I get it back

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:25:03 PM »
you should sell it and get a subaru,  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 12:00:12 AM »
........ o no here we go.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 01:11:35 AM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
you should sell it and get a subaru,  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jay, you can "fix" that, right?!.....to say SUBARU's make the world go round, and round, and round...only teh fastar!!!! ;)
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:46:08 AM »
Sounds like they are running the ECU with MicroSoft products.
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 12:41:39 PM »
LOL, that's what I was thinking. It sounds like it's just a bad switch. I'l already tired of driving this Chevy...MALIBU. The thing sucks at stopping and accelerating. Or and cornering, no way.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 01:43:39 PM »
Quote from: "ianacole"

Jay, you can "fix" that, right?!.....to say VOLKSWAGEN ARE THE BESTEST ;)

Oh, snap!   :lol:  :lol:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 03:42:16 PM »

you darn subaru people are going to ruin the world..

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 03:47:49 PM »
Well, they do seem to have very few issues out of the box, unlike Jay's B6 and my GLI...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 04:21:51 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I'm already tired of driving this Chevy...MALIBU. The thing sucks at stopping and accelerating. Or and cornering, no way.

No wonder the german auto companies give you rentals when your car is in the shop....makes you think..."well, my car is better than this american float a boat, I would rather have my german car EVEN if it is in the shop all the time.."

I had the same rental when I had a bizzilion issues with the allroad suspension, my rentals included the same Chevy Malibu, a Toyota Camry...sold, but the most un-inspired car EVER, and I think there was also a Ford Taurus...but tried to block it from memory.

Hopefully you get it back soon so you can enjoy it some more.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 04:22:28 PM »
Well I have one issue, other than a rattle of a mirror, so I wouldn't say it has a lot of issues.  In my opinion, that's what warranties are for. If cars were perfect there would be no need for warranties. :)

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 05:22:42 PM »
How was the brake  pedal feel?  I felt my brakes needed bleeding on my new 04 Passat, and the loaner Jetta TDi was even scarier.  The dealer bled the Passat brakes and improved them quite a bit.  Not 4-pot Brembo good, but not 'air in the lines' spongy anymore.  Since the loaner cars also had spongy brakes I thought it was an assembly problem of some sort.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 06:15:24 PM »
The brakes are fine, great in fact. Now the brakes in this rental are teh suck.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 07:13:52 PM »
just be careful jay. we don't need you getting injured when driving the malibo.. I am not sure how safe that car is.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 07:37:31 PM »
Yeah, I tore through the business park in it this morning and thought I was going to die :)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 01:14:14 PM »
I got a call this morning, they replaced the switch, it works, but the light doesn't go out on it (like it should when you disengage the EPB). I had the option to get it and wait for them to stock the switch and have it replaced at a future date or to leave the car for another day until they can overnight a new part.

I told them I don't want it back unless it is 100%, so now I don't get it until tomorrow.

If theres a positive spin on this, no extra miles on my car and no fuel costs. :)