Dunlop (Alpen)
1 (11.1%)
Conti (Winter Contact)
1 (11.1%)
Michelin (X-Ice)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 11, 2005, 10:49:33 AM

Author Topic: Winter Tire stories?  (Read 6631 times)

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« on: October 01, 2005, 03:49:33 PM »
I'm a bit of a newbit to the RMCB5, did a search, may have missed it. Flame on if I messed up!!!

I want to put some winter rubber on my B6. If any of you have any experience with Blizzaks, Dunlops etc.. let me know what you think.

My last was a B5.5 w 4MO but I'm now in a 2.0T B6 front wheel only. Could be interesting to say the least. and no, I am not a Colorado native but I am from Canada so driving in snow is not an issue. When it gets to bad back home we just use our sled dogs( kidding). I wonder if they could pull my B6 down I-25 in a storm? hmmmmmmm
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 03:54:20 PM »
Blizzaks LM-50s are great in snow, but if you get the LM-22 they are almost as good but last a lot longer with all our dry roads in the winter time.

YOu can get a set in 16" with 16" wheels are cheap as $700 + shipping from tirerack.  There is a guy Justin there I have been super happy with (ext 387).  Crystal did this, but got a little nicer wheel (Borbet Type E?) that has a lip and 5 spoke, which ran her just under a grand shipped
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 03:54:20 PM »

evil_O

• Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 03:54:51 PM »
LM-25s get my vote... and welcome!
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

gragravar

• Supercar
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 08:05:10 PM »
My favorites are the Dunlop winterport M2's and M3's.  

they provide often grip in the dry (Really, how many days are there with snow on the roads in Denver?) and in the snow.  in the snow, they manage to keep my wife's RWD BMW 330i going on snow days.  on the allroad they made possible an 1100 mile journey through 4 states in the middle of a blizzard (the winter storm warning was out in all 4 states of the drive).  they provided enough traction to have control passing trucks while bouncing off snow banks at 80 mph.   8O
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 12:40:08 AM »
awesome, a fellow Canuck!  Where in Canada are you from?

I have been really impressed with my Blizzaks LM22.
I don't have 4-mo, but on slick roads it held up extremely well, just as good as having AWD.  I remember Road & Track doing a test a few years ago comparing AWD cars with all season tires verses FWD cars with Blizzaks, and the FWD cars with Blizzaks did even better than the AWD.

AWD will not make a difference in breaking, but a good snow tire will really save you in a sticky situation.

I really want to try the Green Diamond Tires as they provide traction like a studded tire without the loud noise and with excellent durability (and supposedly better traction than the Blizzaks), but they offer limited sizes.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 01:38:40 AM »
Another Canuck?! We're slowly and secretly taking over eh? hehehe I'm originally from hicksville Sask. but lived in Calgary fro 14 years before I moved here. My first day in the USA was 9-11-2001. That was a bit disturbing but hey. I'm still here!

I was looking at those Green Diamonds too and they seem like a great idea, but as you said, very limited on sizes.

Thanks for the input on the Blizzaks. I think that's the way I'll go this winter, maybe with some 16" steelies as I don't want to mess up my 17" rims.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 05:01:55 AM »
I am going to run Hankook Ice Bear W300's this winter.  They are a V rated snow tire...we will see how they do.  Mounting them on my 17" winter rims, and save the 18" rims for the summer tires.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »
I'm actually selling a set of 16" OEM B5.5 GLX rims with Blizzak LM-22 on them (at least one more season left) for $350.

check this thread: http://www.rmcb5.com/ftopic-3414.html

BTW, I'm having a Canadian Thanksgiving dinner at my loft (Monday, Oct. 10) for my follow Canucks in Denver.  PM or e-mail me if you would like to come.

jfrahm

• Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 05:44:13 PM »
I am curious about the Green Diamond tires.  The scary thing about them is that they are recapped tires.  yeah, I know, how could that be good?  Well they claim they have a new technology that makes for good recaps rather than the delaminating garbage one normally associates with that sort of product.

The cool thing about them is that they have deposited granules of Silicon Carbide in the tread compound such that new granules are exposed by wear.  These granules supposedly give stud-like ice traction.

http://greendiamondtire.com/index.html

Interesting tire.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 07:03:04 PM »
here's a thread a few months back on Green Diamond:
http://www.rmcb5.com/ftopic-3203.html

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 11:43:21 AM »
i am just waiting for my Dunlop M3's (17's) to come in for my A4. Another good option is the Toyo Observe G03's. I have them on the wifes golf and they are great.  They are wearing amazing too and the price is good. They are somewhat limited in sized though.

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
No Nokian???
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 01:34:48 PM »
What? No Nokian??? I love my RSi's, I think it's the best winter tire on the market.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 01:47:37 PM »
I also run the Blizzak tires in the winter.  I have had nothing but good luck in the ice and snow.

I have had Nokian in the past and remember them being good also.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

s4josh

• Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 02:39:35 PM »
Vredestein makes excelent winter tires! They are a Dutch company thats been making winter tires since 1946 :D  
Vredestein Website

I run the WinTrac XL 225/45 R 17 XL 91 H on my S4 and I am on my second set of them.  I am buying a set of IceTrac 205/55 R 16 91 Q for my B5.5 Passat Wagon here shortly.  I will be doing alot of mountain driving this winter so I am going with the studded tires.

Some good selling points for the Vredestein WinTrac XL:

- 40,000 mile free replacement warranty from Vredestein
- Free road hazard for 40,000 miles from Vredestein
- Perfect front range tires where you only drive in the snow/ice ocasionally
- 130 mph speed rating
- Excelent handling!!
- Very Quiet
- Self clearing tread design in deep snow (its fun watching the rooster tails the rear tires make as you drive when on snow)

If your intrested in getting some Call Jeremy at Premier Tire Terminal and tell him Josh with the Blue Audi S4 sent you.  He will more then likey give you pricing lower than what they sell the tires to Discount T*** for! :D
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 03:00:12 PM »
Something to consider:

We really don't get much if any ice here. Mostly soft snow and slush.

While many of the "ICE" tires are great on ICE they only do "okay" in deep snow.  There may only be 5-10 days total here per year with snow on the ground and only 1 of those will be "icy".

A good all season or "snow" tire may be better for our weather. (now that I have said that we will get a solid winter of ice, 90 days in a row 8O )

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 03:12:31 PM »
Another factor to safe (and Fun) winter driving is the person behind the wheel.

I grew up in Steamboat and took the Bridgestone Winter Driving School there when I was 16.  It really made me realize all the $h!t that can go wrong and how to avoid or prevent it.  They also teach you how to slide the car on ice and snow and still keep the car under control.

I am planning on doing the school again this winter, because you can now use your own car on the track. :D
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jfrahm

• Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 03:45:31 PM »
IMO, ice may not be common but it is the dangerous bit.  Sliding through intersections and  going wide on icy corners have been the biggest problems I've had in the snow.  One of my techniques on corners is to put two wheels in the snow to get some traction.  And of course the old adage comes into play:

"ditches don't sue"

People polishing the intersections like crazed, road-going Zambonis are the big problem around town.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

BHase

• Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 05:04:08 PM »
Yeah look up the Green Diamond tires. Those are hot.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 05:34:49 PM »
i was planning on getting the Dunlop M3's... But it looks like i might end up some some Nokian WR's :)

TurboDub

• Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 06:56:47 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"
Another factor to safe (and Fun) winter driving is the person behind the wheel.

I grew up in Steamboat and took the Bridgestone Winter Driving School there when I was 16.  It really made me realize all the $h!t that can go wrong and how to avoid or prevent it.  They also teach you how to slide the car on ice and snow and still keep the car under control.

I am planning on doing the school again this winter, because you can now use your own car on the track. :D

This sounds like some serious fun!

As far as tires...I may go with the Dunlop M3's or the Blizzaks LM-25's- Not too sure yet :?

Al
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 07:02:37 PM »
nice thing i was seeing about the Nokian WR's is they are great in the snow, and good in the dry and have a 50k mile warranty.

problem is they cost so much..

s4josh

• Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 07:57:07 PM »
Quote from: "TurboDub"

As far as tires...I may go with the Dunlop M3's or the Blizzaks LM-25's- Not too sure yet :?
Al

The Dunlop M3's are rated very well on tirerack.com.  

I would check out the ratings on those sites and read some reviews with people with similar cars.  Thats always a good way to do some research.
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 08:20:16 PM »
I picked up a set of these for the A4. They do really well on ice.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 08:27:56 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
i was planning on getting the Dunlop M3's... But it looks like i might end up some some Nokian WR's :)

I have the WR's on my wife's 2.slow Golf and I like them. Of coarse I run Falken Azenis Sport on the Passat as a summer tire, so it's definitely not a fair comparison, but the WR's perform decent if you don't push them too hard. Even if you have to push them hard they break away gradually and the sidewall does roll under a little. It's a nice all-season tire that is very winter oriented and still has a 50000 miles wear. Not nearly as good as the RSi's in the snow, but much better than any other all-season tire including the Conti Extreme Contact (this seems to be the alternative).
If you are looking for something sporty that can handle occasional snow, check out the Dunlop 5000 SP. I've used them before and think that it's one of the sportiest and best performing all-season tires.

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 09:10:55 PM »
I was also thinking of a 12" lift on the B6 with a full track system from Catepillar. hehehe

Actually, I amy look at the Nokian as well. Never heard of them before.

I should also open up a Candian Tire store here. That way I can sell a set of those tires like hotani posted ;-)  Buy a set of tires and recieve 12 Sher-Wood Sakic replica sticks for free.

Al #11
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 12:50:43 AM »
Quote from: "hotani"
I picked up a set of these for the A4. They do really well on ice.

What is funny about this... I have actually done this to a tire.

One winter commuting on my bike, the ice was bad, so I took an old mtn bike tire, screwed some small screws into it (all over, put a couple layers of duct tape to line the inside of the tire and put a tube into it.  It actually worked really well.  The little tap screws were pretty expensive, but it was fun.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Soar07

• n00balicious
Just ordered Continental TS810s from Tire Rack
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 01:53:48 AM »
Based on research of the German ADAC website, I ordered the Continental TS810s. I'll keep you all posted on how they do.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 01:58:55 AM »
Sounds like a fun project. :)

Those pictured are "cheaters" for a specially built jeep for ice racing. My snow tires are a little more tame. They're Gislaved EuroFrost 2. Looks like the 3s are already out and mine aren't listed anymore. They seem to do really well and were fairly inexpensive, well, free (had them thrown in as part of the deal when I bought the car). I think they retail for around $70 for the 205/60/15s I have.

Since the hostname of the site is 'conti-online' I guess they are made by Conti.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

RobD

• Modded
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 09:39:25 AM »
I found a used set of Nokian Wr's on Audiworld for my 17" Ronal R28's (thanks JR).  The seller had a rubbing problem and wanted to go with a smaller size.  Got a good deal on them.  You might want to check that forum since there always seems to be a few deals on there.

The Hankooks can be had pretty cheap from Discount tire and for a winter tire they do pretty well once you compare the price to performance of other tires.

I think one has to ask themselves how much snow will you truly be driving in to determine how much you want to spend on a snow tire. We mostly have dry roads here in CO but all it takes is one good snow to make you realize you need something better then the basic all season tire.

Good luck

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Winter Tire stories?
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 12:48:43 PM »
And another vote for the Hankooks. I have used the W404 studless (or studded if you like) for the last two seasons with great results. I have no clue what I'm going to do this winter though.

Rob, I didn't have the problem, Sarah did :wink: I never mounted them though. Got any pics? How do they look??

BTW: Know any Friesen's up in that thar Sask area? That's my dad's side, my mom's side is from New Brunswick

'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner