Author Topic: October 2005 - Jack (Spicoli)  (Read 4780 times)

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
October 2005 - Jack (Spicoli)
« on: October 03, 2005, 02:18:54 PM »
MOTM, not sure I deserve it, but hey I'm not going to say no to attention!  I originally joined the RMCB5 guys because of things like track days and the maturatity of the group.  I find myself the kid of the crew.

My basic history starts when I was 12 and my dad had me drive a rental car around some race track (I think it was in Florida - but definately not at Sebring).  My father was always involved with racing.  I think he was teaching at Skip Barber when I drove the rental car.   At 13 he taught me to drive a stick and got me a 2-stroke go-kart.  I raced that for a year until I really got into being a teenager.  At 15 he had to reteach me how to use the clutch and from then on I was a car guy.

Started my driving carrier in my dad's S6 and got pulled over for 60 in a 45... oops.  Luckily I had a cool cop who just told me to keep it at the speed limit and gave me a virbal warning.  At 16 my parents gave me their 1977 F-150 and by the time I sold it 3 years later it ran on 6 of 8 cylinders.  Around 17 I had saved enough money that I got an 1996 Integra GS-R... man was that a fun car.  I was too young to truly appreciate it though.  I had plans to mod this car once the warranty was up.  I had 100,000 mile warranty on it.  It was totalled from hitting a giant 30ftx30ft 2 feet deep puddle at 90mph with 96k on it.  I had $3k saved to mod it and had a plan to make it cool and quick.  Insurance gave me some money and with what I had I bought a new 2001 Ford Ranger 2wd.  It wasn't that I didn't like the truck, just didn't care about it.

January 2003 is where my VW story begins.  I traded in the ranger and took payments on my VW.  I couldn't believe I could afford it.  Plus I couldn't believe my father thought it was a good idea.  I was really expecting him to disown me for taking a loan on a car at that point in my life.  I have always desired for a GTI, and I finally could get one.  I had the car for about 4 months before I started mod'ing it.  I wasn't going to wait for warranty this time.  And did I go full out.  I got my first suspension (including swaybars, etc) right after I finished my semester.  My father helped me install it.  By august I had a chip and exhaust...  and so it began.  

I never planned on going as far as I have with this car.  I planned on doing simple engine mods, good suspension and maybe a body kit.  When I got really injured in July/August of 2004 things changed.  I was in a really bad bicycle accident.  I was going about 50mph downhill into Vail when another rider (1 of 7 I was passing - the only 1 that didn't hear me "On your left") went to go pass his friends and cut right into me and our handlebars locked.  I ended up breaking my pelvis in 3 spots, 4 ribs, scapula, a shoulder bone and lots of nasty abrations.  I was off meds and started working short days a week later.  I am proud of that.  I only spent one night in the hospital.  3-4 weeks after my accident and I was working 40-50hr weeks again.  But it took me 7 weeks before I could drive a stick again.  DATR was going on when I was all beaten up.  I really wanted to go to it and my father drove my GTI down to the springs with me and my crutch.  I was so excited about going to the show, and I wasn't going to miss it.  I stopped caring so much about future, etc. and started just living life up fully (I lived life up before, but was more conservitive).  I started spending my saved money and just made sure I always had a couple months expenses behind me.  I wrote what happened to me when I was all doped up: http://www.jackham.net/hospital

My accident was pretty bad and I was super lucky to come out as well as I did.  Subconsiously this changed me and changed my attitude towards my car.  I planned on having the GTI for a few years and then getting something nicer.  Instead I have decided to keep it and put tons of money into that I will never get back.  

In a years time I have spent a lot more on my car.  I have changed things slightly on performance (5+ suspension kits), but my plan has always been pretty focused.  Since the 337 (before I got my car) I liked what it offered.  When the 20th came out I would have traded my car in for one if it came in silverstone.  Instead I took the stupidier way and built my own.  I found out about the european 25th (337) and had to do it's shorter more agressive body kit.  The only thing I haven't been 100% happy with is the suspension, but I feel a lot of that is just the mk4 chassis isn't that great to start with.  

My favorite mods are my OEM HIDs painted to look like the 20th headlights.  Switching my DRLs to my city lights, which took me all night to figure out how to do.  And now my APR Stage 3+ kit.  I plan on keeping this car for a long time.  I don't plan on stopping the mod'ing until I feel like I have reached and end or make enough that I can start a new project on something like an M3 or RS6.  I had this warning sticker made when I first got that car, and it used to be my favorite mod until eveyone had to have one... it has lost its fun over time.  

My style has definately been OEM+.  Until I recently had the hood notch and bumper notch filled in, my car's exterior was 100% OEM, even the wheels.  Now the grill isn't and soon the wheels won't be either.  Personally I like the suttle, but sporty look OEM gives you... power and performancer are a different story with OEM though.

The Mods list:

Exterior:
OEM HID (painted like 20AE w/rheostat) (currently being redone)
--- 4300k HID bulb, Osram Silverstar H7, yellow H6W
Rewired the City lights as my DRLs
OEM Lexan headlight covers (use sometimes)
OEM euro R32 tails
Rear fog light
Bonrath Grill
Hood and bumper notch filled
European front & rear rebars
European front & rear bumpers
Euro 25th Anniversary front lip (like 20AE, but for euro bumpers)
Euro 25th Anniversary hatch spoiler
Euro 25th Anniversary side skirts
20AE rear valence
20AE black side mirrors
OEM Blue tinted, heated Aspherical (blind spot) mirrors
Black rear VW emblem with housing color matched
Aero wipers w/ Polo rear wiper
Temp sensor
15% tint
Enfig 'perfect fit' S2000 antenna

Interior:
Black headliner (OEM parts)
OEM black leather stubby middle headrest
VW Racing brushed aluminum shift knob & boot
VWR (R32) steering wheel
Euro high pixel MFA (R32 needles) - still need to install
20AE pedals & dead pedal
20AE brushed Al dashtrim (#1903) w/ashtray
20AE brushed Al interior door handles, door triggers & lock pins
20AE brushed Al handbrake button
20AE door sills (red GTI w/dots)
Center Console w/cup holders between the seats
AWE/Omori perfect match boost gauge w/New South column pod
Jetta dash vents (wired to light up)
R floor mats (upgraded to new oval lock downs) - still need to install
Euro Light Switch (rear fog only) w/ LED mod for fog ON

:::::::::: Stereo ::::::::
Alpine 9835 deck
Alpine Sirius receiver
Alpine iPod adapter
Alpine Type-R 10" Subs (2 Qty)
Infinity Kappa 6.5" Speakers w/ Tweeters
Rockford Fosgate 4-channel amp (T5002)
Rockford Fosgate mono amp (T10001BD)
Monster Cable capasitor, XLN speaker cable, 2 & 4 channel RCA (410XLN)
2 layer false floor

Engine, Trans & Exhaust:
APR Stage 3+ kit (91/93/100/104)
APR turbo-back 3" exhaust 20AE tip (cat & muffler)
Forge Race diverter valve (black)
ECS Tuning N75 "Race" valve
Dual side mount intercooler setup, w/ Forge SMIC
Audi TT fender liner vents
Carbonio CAI w/ 3" MAF coupler - In transit
Carbonio carbon fiber engine cover
VF-Engineering engine mount (dogbone)
VF-Engineering transmission mount (driver side)
VF-Engineering engine mount (passenger side)
O2M (6 speed) transmission
R32 short shifter linkage
Quaife LSD 02M
disabled ASR/EDL

Suspension, Wheel & Tire:
__________ Coilovers (on order) - I think I am going back to Bilstein PSS9s
__________ camber plates (on order) - Most likely Ground Control
VW Racing Upper Strut Mount w/bearing
ECS Tuning Polyurethane Control Arm bushings
ECS Tuning Polyurethane Rear Spring Perches
Autotech 25mm front swaybar (soft setting)
Neuspeed 28mm adjustable rear swaybar (stiff setting)
Autotech adjustable endlink for front swaybar
Autotech front upper & lower strut tie-bar
20AE front & rear calipers (red) w/splash guards
Crossdilled and Slotted Rotors w/Ferodo 2500 pads (ECS Floating F & Brembo R)
Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines
Motul 600 brake fluid
BBS RCs (18x7.5)
Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 (225/40-18) - favorite tire I have tried so far

::::::::::::::::::::::::: Coming this Soon, Very Soon :::::::::::::::::::::::::
APR Motorsports Intake manifold, honed/polished (coming November)
17" racing wheels/tires (Superleggeras?)
BBS RS-GT or Kinesis K18R -Spring
Shaved door bumper thingys -Spring
Alcon, ECS or Stoptech Brakes

I feel like I have done a good job making a 25th/20th: 25th mixed with 20th body kit, HIDs done like the 25th/20th headlights (OEM+), Black headliner (OEM Parts), R32 steering wheel (OEM+), R32 FIS cluster (OEM plus), 20th brushed aluminum dash kit (#1903), BBS RCs from a GLI and even did the 6 speed O2M transmission.  Okay, so I went way overboard.  The one thing I really want to do that i can't find yet,  is a # plate from a real 25th in europe.  they made 1800 (IIRC) and it was a badge that went under the side blinker (like the wolfsburg jetta).

Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 02:39:57 PM »
Nice right up.  Congrats.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Rocky Mountain Club B5