Author Topic: Need the Master Mountain Bike wheel tuner!  (Read 2394 times)

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Need the Master Mountain Bike wheel tuner!
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:37:04 PM »
Ran over my buddies mountain bike with the wrangler. 8O  :D  Need to get the front wheel straight again. :D

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:38:03 PM »
"Jeep: Go anywhere"  :P

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:38:03 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 12:40:01 PM »
What'd that bike ever to do you???  :lol: Did he pack to close and ding your paint?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 12:51:55 PM »
We sold our condo and the new house won't be finished until late November. So in the mean time we are living with a friend. He made space in his garage for the Jeep and motorcycle. Thinking that I don't drive either one of them right now he set his mountain bike down next to the passenger front wheel of the Jeep.(totally blocked from view since the Jeep is backed into the garage to make space)  Since I took the Audi back over to 3zero3 I decided it would be fun to take the TJ. Jumped in it and drove off never seeing the mountain bike.  8O  (made a cool sound through) :D

Just one of those things that is not really anyones fault, just a series of unfortunate events :wink: .

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 12:59:52 PM »
bummer Cole.  What type of rim and hub?  I have a ton of spare rims at the house that I will need to unload and get rid of.  They are rims that are a bit older, but minimal use, just spares from when I was wicked crazy into my mountain biking days.

As for wheel tuners, depends on how bent it is, most times, when it is that out of true, the aluminum is not good anymore, and not strong enough to hold another impact.

Let me know if you need a new rim, I can sport you one as I need to clean stuff out of the garage.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:13:55 PM »
Jack is your man in this department.  PM him and see what he can do for you.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 02:51:29 PM »
Like said above, if the rim is too bent you will need to do a new rim and rebuild it... which when cars run over wheels it typically is what you have to do.

I can true wheels fine, I have even built my own a couple times... but assessing if the wheel can be fixed or not I would have to leave that to someone I trust.  At my shop there is a guy Doug Bittle, master wheel builder.  I actually pay him to build my personal wheels because he can do a much better job than I can.

If you need help getting a rim or other parts, LMK.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 04:20:07 PM »
i will be glad to true your wheel for you if it is salvagable. But by the sound of it, you might be looking to get him a new wheel.  I have build 100+ wheels and trued many more over the years and many wheels that have been hit/runover by a vehicle are usually toast.  It might be nice to just pick him up a  new basic wheel as a nice jesture since he is letting you store the jeep in the garage. If it is a basic front wheel i am sure Jack can find you something in the ~$50-75 range.  Or maybe you can pick up the used one from Jon.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 04:30:28 PM »
The rims I have for the front are
Matrix Ceramic with an XTR hub
Avenir with something like a DX hub...nothing special, but it has held up over the years, and is still true.

The Avenir one I will let you have, but the Matrix one I would sell.

JR...there is the info for you, i know you were wondering if I had a Mavic, but I do not....sorry.  Most of my other rims are rears.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 06:16:47 PM »
Thanks guys. It does not seem SUPER bent. (rubs just enough to not really be rideable.

I would love to get him a new wheel too, just to be nice.

It is kind of one of those "no ones totally at fault" deals.  

If we were going to assign blame, it really is more his doing than mine. He laid the bike under my tires and out of view of the approach and entry to the Jeep. (it was under my passenger front tire. So I walked up to and got into the Jeep from the drivers rear side, which was the only way you could walk up to it the way it was parked)So while I want to help him with it a lot I am not sure I want to shell out $75.  :D  But will shell out a bit to help him out since I did ultimately kill the wheel.  :wink:

I would love to take the free wheel and see if his can be fixed. Seems I only tagged it enough to make it not true enough to roll through the brakes well.  

When and where can I meet up with you guys?
303-359-7469

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 06:27:43 PM »
Quote from: "Cole"
He laid the bike under my tires and out of view of the approach and entry to the Jeep. (it was under my passenger front tire. So I walked up to and got into the Jeep from the drivers rear side, which was the only way you could walk up to it the way it was parked)...

That sounds like a police report  :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »
Cole.   What rim, hub etc is it?  can you take a picture of it for me and, and one up close of the hub too and I will see what I can get you a replacement for?  Not sure if you know, but I work for a bike shop... mmmm, discount!
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 09:57:32 PM »
Okay, when and where to meet up with either one of you guys.

I will have the wheel with me shortly.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 11:53:05 PM »
Cole, I am working all weekend, and staying at my parents due to having to have showings during the day on the weekends.  But I can be down your way next week sometime and drop the wheel off if  you want.  Gives me an excuse to go look at my new house.