Author Topic: Scoobie winter rims and tires  (Read 2680 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Scoobie winter rims and tires
« on: October 06, 2005, 04:51:22 PM »
got a killer deal on these new 17" rims/Winter Tires:

Sport Edition (Kosei) D5s, 17x7", 19lbs.
Hankook IceBear W300, 225-55-VR17, load rating 101.  (highest load rating for a tire in this range, fits the allroad, Volvo Cross Country, Outback, and other cars with the bigger tire set.)

First impressions with a 10 mile drive around the Westminster area and highway.  They are very quiet, track esceptionally well, decent dry grip, and strong side walls.  Minimal roll compared to the other winter tires I have had, including the WS-50, M2, Graspics, and others.  For the money, I think this is a great winter option that has a high load rating as well as a high traction/speed rating.

on to the pics.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 05:18:13 PM »
Nice Jon!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 05:18:13 PM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 06:25:08 PM »
looks good. Are you going to stay in snow tire mode for the rest of the season now? i think i have decided due to financial reasons that those tires are what i will end up with year. Looks like they will work really well.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 06:34:02 PM »
Eric, I'd love to point you to my review of Hankook's W404 and my very happy results, but it does seem the 'reviews' section of the site is rather hosed.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 06:53:01 PM »
Yes it is. One of about 200 reasons I am trying to move us to a better setup.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 07:55:30 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"
Eric, I'd love to point you to my review of Hankook's W404 and my very happy results, but it does seem the 'reviews' section of the site is rather hosed.

thanks. I read several reviews of the icebear 300 in europe and they seem pretty good. I think they will do everything i need and with having quattro i am not that concerned. plus the price is great. they are abotu 40% cheaper than the nokians and i don't think the nokians are going to be twice as good..

nice setup Jon..

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
Yes it is. One of about 200 reasons I am trying to move us to a better setup.

You do good work. I'm sure we'll find something. And to keep it on track...just like snow tires :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 03:11:42 AM »
Nice Jon... I am now on my way over for your other wheels  :twisted:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 09:11:10 AM »
Nice looking set-up Jon.  With a load rating of 101 I could use those puppies on my Eurovan!  (although I'll stick to my 106 load rated Nokian CS's)

On a side note Jon - I might have talked a friend in portland OR into a Legacy GT like yours.  Someone tboned his 4 runner and he wanted something different and i steered him towards the GT.  Just another convert for Scoobies!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:25:54 AM »
Eric...yeah, I think I am just gonna keep the winter set up on at this point, not worth another 3-4 weeks of summer tires.

Jer....you can grab my rims, but with the rubber that is on them, they won't fit in your pesky LGT wheel wells ;)  Especially after the spring install.

Rob....yeah, the load rating is pretty high, so I was excited about them, and for the cost, sheesh, they are down right inexpensive compared to the other options in that load rating.

Drove about 130 miles on them yesterday with all the house stuff going on, they are awesome tires...I pushed them a bit, and I am surprised how sticky they are in dry conditions.  None of my other winter tires handled this good.  Now we just need a snow so I can see how they perform in the white stuff.....afterall, that is the true judge of a winter tire.  BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!