Author Topic: A look at the Hankook Ice Bear 300 Snow tire.  (Read 7025 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
A look at the Hankook Ice Bear 300 Snow tire.
« on: October 09, 2005, 06:37:58 PM »
The ice bear 300 is a V-Rated snow tire that is very similar in design to the new Contintal T810, and the Pirelli SottoZero 210 & 240.  While it is not the same as the above listed 'big name' tire companies it comes in a better price and for many of us it is worth exploring. It is not designed as a deep snow tire or a hard core ice tire. It was designed as a tire for central european drivers that experice some snow, ice and roads that get cleaned fairly efficiently. So i figured that sounds just like Denver :wink:. Well sort of.

The tire features 3 different tread shapes accross the width of the tread. All of the tread is siped for ice traction.

By looking at the tread it appears it will evacuate water decent, and still has nice big blocks on the edge for snow and a solid rib all the way around it for ice traction.

The dry handling is not great, but heck it's a snow tire. I think it is on par with a basic all-season tire.  So how does it compare to my last snow tires on the dry? It definitly is stiffer sidewalled and handles better. My wife is running the Toyo Observe GO-3's and those are alot softer sidewall than this hankook.  In the rain this tire is alot quieter than my old Pilot sport snow tires. There is no whining from the tread. They are pretty quiet on the drive.  I didn't really push them since after i got them on the car it started raining. But i am stoked to see snow in the forcast for tommarrow.

This tires are also very affordable. They were $126/ each at Discount Tire for a 235-45-17XL in a V rating.  Yep my car is a fat ass so i went with the XL's.  The cheapest i could find the Dunlop M3 locally for was $167, and the Pirelli Sottozero was $187. So to me these are a bargin. Now lets just see how they do in the snow.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:35:19 PM »
I am glad to read this.  I have been leaning myself to these tires and my neighbor Wade has them on his GTI (17" as well) and seems to be happy with them.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:35:19 PM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 11:13:55 PM »
Nice write-up, just in time too:

Quote from: "weather.com"

Tonight: Windy with rain...mixing with and changing to snow overnight. Snow possibly heavy at times. Cold. Low around 30F. Winds NNW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 90%. 2 to 4 inches of snow expected.

Tomorrow: Windy. Snow during the morning will give way to a mixture of rain and wet snow during the afternoon. Cold. High 37F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 80%. 4 to 7 inches of snow expected.

8O
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 11:25:38 PM »
Quote from: "hotani"
Nice write-up, just in time too:

Quote from: "weather.com"

Tonight: Windy with rain...mixing with and changing to snow overnight. Snow possibly heavy at times. Cold. Low around 30F. Winds NNW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 90%. 2 to 4 inches of snow expected.

Tomorrow: Windy. Snow during the morning will give way to a mixture of rain and wet snow during the afternoon. Cold. High 37F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 80%. 4 to 7 inches of snow expected.

8O

I'm hoping for snow.. I really want to try these tires out..

Starlightb5 -  i don't think there will be a better bang for the buck snow tire than this one for Denver and the local mtns.  Again this is just my opinion. I know Indigo03 is running these now on his subie too, so you can get feedback from him also.  With both of us being AWD opinions will be skewed. But definitly worth a try for the money.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 12:11:58 AM »
I totally agree.  For their intended use, quality, comfort, and performance, ....the price makes up for the differences.  Sure, there are other tires that are "better",  but the decision on how much better and what that is worth is up to the buyer.  For me,   The performance for every day driving and great reported snow traction is well good enough to justify the extra $240 saved in my wallet.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 03:42:41 AM »
nICE! Can't wait to hear how they do tomorrow...

With those tires and AWD you should pretty much own the road. Even if you are piloting a >cough< SUBARU >cough< :lol:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 06:27:09 AM »
well, it is 230am, still no snow gathering on the ground in Denver.  looking out the window of the hospital, does not look like the drive home will afford me a chance to see how they perform in the snow.

Maybe the drive back into work Monday night will be snow packed.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 11:37:15 AM »
well i left a few minutes early today to go play in the snow. Up north east of denver we had about 3-4" of snow on the grass and maybe 2" on the roads.  Well the tires were good on the snow, the road i live on had only seem one other car pass down it so i decided to go play. I did some quick accelerations and a couple hard brakes and the car hooked up great.  I did a quick hard left turn with light throttle and the car pulled right thru.

After playing on my road  little i had to head off to work. The closer i got to denver the more slushy the roads became. In the slush the tires were fine. Transitioning between lanes over those slush piles that accumulate on the road was interesting. The car did not like those at all. But i think that was due to the width of the tire i am running. I am running a 235-45-17 and it is a pretty wide foot print for winter. You can feel the resistance when cutting thru those between lane slush piles.

Other than that they seem good. I had to take a hard right turn onto the road to the park and ride. It was hard to see in the snow and the street lights were out so i almost missed the turn. Thru the slush and snow the car tracked right thru it.  Not once did i see the traction lights flash on the dash. I was pleased by that.

Now to see how they do on the way home.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 11:50:17 AM »
the roads were just wet on my way home, so no snow traction to speak of...:(

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »
as i got closer to denver the roads went from snow to slush to wet.. just raining here downtown now.

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 02:33:04 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
well i left a few minutes early today to go play in the snow. Up north east of denver we had about 3-4" of snow on the grass and maybe 2" on the roads.  Well the tires were good on the snow, the road i live on had only seem one other car pass down it so i decided to go play. I did some quick accelerations and a couple hard brakes and the car hooked up great.  I did a quick hard left turn with light throttle and the car pulled right thru.

After playing on my road  little i had to head off to work. The closer i got to denver the more slushy the roads became. In the slush the tires were fine. Transitioning between lanes over those slush piles that accumulate on the road was interesting. The car did not like those at all. But i think that was due to the width of the tire i am running. I am running a 235-45-17 and it is a pretty wide foot print for winter. You can feel the resistance when cutting thru those between lane slush piles.

Other than that they seem good. I had to take a hard right turn onto the road to the park and ride. It was hard to see in the snow and the street lights were out so i almost missed the turn. Thru the slush and snow the car tracked right thru it.  Not once did i see the traction lights flash on the dash. I was pleased by that.

Now to see how they do on the way home.

Thanks Eric! Great review! I am in the market for winter tires too and was looking at the Ice Bear 300's. For the price I don't think one can go wrong. I've also been looking at the Dunlop 3's, Mich. Winter Alpins and the Bridgestone MWW Blizzaks. Since Denver winters aren't like what I had to deal with in Canada I think the Ice Bears may handle it just fine. After all, if there's 2-3' of snow I'm taking my Jeep to "play"! :)
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 03:04:58 PM »
Jon and i talked about this also. I was considering the Dunlop M3 and a Bridgestone Blizzaks, but there were just soo expensive. I saved quite abit of money getting these instead and i think they will do just fine for Denver.

If i lived in the mountains i would have looked for a more 'hardcore' snow tire. For the amount of snow we get, and with the addition of Quattro i am more than confident with the traction i will have from this set.

From the reviews i read online many european drivers have been very happy with the W300 and several magazines in europe gave it good reviews. I really don't think there was a 'better bang for the buck' high performance snow tire for cars like ours.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 03:10:49 PM »
don't forget the load rating, stiffer side walls than just about any snow tire, and the V speed rating.  For most of the winter, this will still allow you some spirited driving ability.  I punched my 300hp in the rain and I just took off....sticky, sticky, sticky.  Held real well on the on-ramps as well.  Not like a summer tire, but for a snow tire, it feels more like an UHPAS tire...about as sticky and firm as the ContiExtremeContacts.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 03:41:09 PM »
true jon. my car is kinda fat and overweight. So i needed the XL load rating.  Makes for a stiffer sidewall and handle in the dry a little better.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 05:10:21 PM »
So I'm about to order the Hankook w300's for the Legacy (Thanks for the reviews guys!! -$460 shipped from tires.com!)

Only they seem to only have 225 width instead of the stock 215 for my rim size.  :roll:

I know "snows" ideally should be same width or thinner for best snow performance. But are there any technical problems I should be concerned about with upping the width to 225 in this case?

I'll be going from 215/45 17 (stock) to 225/45 17 (snow) on a 7 inch wide rim

As always, thanks in advance...
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 05:38:09 PM »
no, you will be fine

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 05:42:04 PM »
what about a 205/50?

Little thinner, slightly better gas mileage and better snow traction (in theory).

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 07:13:45 PM »
I just ordered the 225/45 17! I think the 205's would put too much a hurtin' on my dry weather fun :lol:

Thanks again guys!
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 07:17:09 PM »
Just had 235 45 R 17 WS300's put on. We'll see how it goes.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 07:41:24 PM »
cool, that makes for Hankook ownin members :)  time will tell.  Is there snow expected later in the week?

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 07:51:37 PM »
says rain right now but it'll change 4 or 5 times before the end of the week.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 08:01:28 PM »
Quote from: "givebloodplayhockey"

Are you driving a B6 A4?

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 08:05:33 PM »
Sunny with cloudy and overcast periods. Chance of rain and snow, maybe a stray tornado or two. Hail may happen. May be up to three feet of snow, highs from -20 to +80. Watch for flash flooding. Winds from the N, S, E and W gusting from 0 to 2,000 MPH. Severe UV index in effect.
Typical SAFE Denver forecast.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 08:33:09 PM »
Sunny with cloudy and overcast periods. Chance of rain and snow, maybe a stray tornado or two. Hail may happen. May be up to three feet of snow, highs from -20 to +80. Watch for flash flooding. Winds from the N, S, E and W gusting from 0 to 2,000 MPH. Severe UV index in effect.

"so what you are saying is scariest environment imaginable....that's all you had to say....scariest environment imaginable!!!"

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 08:39:16 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"

"so what you are saying is scariest environment imaginable....that's all you had to say....scariest environment imaginable!!!"

Welcome to hell, I mean Denver... drive safe! :lol:

In all honesty, no El Nino this winter so we could be in for a beating.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 08:41:56 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"

Are you driving a B6 A4?

Driving a B6. First Denver winter without 4Mo. Traded in my b5.5 this fall. Maybe I can put some studded steelies on my '70 Chevelle!
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 03:30:18 PM »
Well I got these my Hankook's mounted Wed. They cost me $112 each (shipping was FREE!) and $54 bucks to mount so about $500 in total...I am SUPER happy with them!!!

Like others have said, they are suprisingly sticky in the dry and in the wet stuff. I can definitely feel how much stiffer the sidewall is compared to the stock Bridgestone RE92's (which were WAYYY too soft for an UHPAS tire).

I plan to take the car up to the mountains this weekend so hopefully I will find some messy road conditions. :twisted: As far as road noise, I can't tell any difference from the RE92's...

I'm glad you guys suggested that I try these...I post more when I actually find some snow... 8)
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 05:11:58 PM »
congrads on joining the cool kids club. i am glad you ahve the same feeling about the dry/wet performance as us. I can;t wait for the first big dump to go out and play.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 05:20:04 PM »
So, I am starting to get old, and change my opinion about things. I have always been anti-snow tire in Colorado in even the worst conditions, but now that I drive 470 every day for my commute and I know it tends to get pretty nasty in the winter I am contemplating snows for the Passat.

This would be my first winter tire....EVER, so I'm glad people are chiming in.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 05:30:31 PM »
Yesterday I ordered Winterforce M+S 195/65/15 tires on 15" steel rims from Tirerack for $500 delivered.  They should be here Monday or Tuesday.  This will be my second set of winter only tires and the first on the GTI.  Last winter was so horrible on the stock Michelins I decided to get dedicated snows.

I'll post some pics of the super pimp 15" steelies after there on to make you jealous :lol: .

Here's a link to the tires for anyone who cares.  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M%2BS&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=965SR5WFORCE&fromCompare1=yes

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T