Author Topic: I can't tell if I got owned or...  (Read 5093 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
I can't tell if I got owned or...
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:43:11 PM »
...the New Jetta's just really sad. So retail on my 04 GLI VR6 is $21K. The new Jetta is $21K. Of course, prices are all over the place generally, but my banker buddies use NADA values for loans.

But they are two completely different cars for the most part...so I'm going to pretend the New Jetta's just really sad even if you disagree with me. It'll make me feel better.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 01:48:21 PM »
It depends what you get, some of the new Jetta's are priced in the Passat range. Both cars are unique and nothing beats the hotness of a MKIV GLI. :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 01:48:21 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 01:58:56 PM »
except the superior chassis on the mk5.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 02:19:42 PM »
I doubt a new jetta with all the 'fixins' you have on yours would be comparable in price. IE: leather seats, sport suspension, 17" wheels, VR6 (not available!), etc....
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 02:24:03 PM »
Yup. As I said, prices just seem to be all over the place. And most of the stuff isn't even available ie: cloth seats, VR6 sport anything etc. When we were looking at trading it in, I got $4k difference in all the "pricing" sites. Most are bunk. I know from experience that most banks use NADA to value cars for loans and such.
Anyway...I posted it for $2K over retail on craigslist because I'm like that :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 02:44:55 PM »
So are you guys wanting to get a MKV then?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 03:15:33 PM »
Nope...we're going to go with death to all SUV. We have it picked out too...just waiting patiently for the right time...maybe now, maybe later. We're not in any rush.
But with two dogs, the Colorado mountains...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

sediahaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 04:26:49 PM »
SUV huh...I hope you picked out the V10 bi-Turbo TDI Touareg. :wink:

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 05:28:50 PM »
Quote from: "337dub"

I drove one of those... they are so amazing.  I don't care much for the looks, but the "suv" drives awesome.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 05:46:59 PM »
Quote from: "337dub"

*snicker* How'd you guess??  :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 06:06:13 PM »
Trade-in on my 04 Passat with 8500 miles on it  was $22K or so, but I could not sell it for that.  I sold it for $18,500.  I saw some used 04 Passats on dealer lots for $25K or so, no idea if they could have possibly sold the car for that.  Seems hard to believe.  Selling my car for $19K seemed impossible.

Edmunds says an 05 New Jetta with 8500 miles on it is worth $17-20K with no options.  I think part of the problem is that these guides are off for very 'new' used cars.  They seem to indicate that you can sell them used for what you'd pay for new.  That is either due to salesmanship or stupidity, or it simply is not happening.  

My guess is that the high blue book is a tool to lure people into trading lightly used cars in and then paying a more for a newer car.  Salesman can wave the book at you and say "bring in that 04 Jetta, I'll give you (about what you paid for it) if you buy a new Jetta with a bunch of options that works out to $27K.  Getting you into a loan with higher principal  is a big win even if they lose a couple grand (on paper) when they sell or wholesale the trade-in.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 06:26:08 PM »
Oh man. Don't EVEN get me started on trading-in. They're a bunch of crack smokers. The lot of them.

The one thing that bugs me about Edmunds.com is that every consumer states that as being the actual price of the car. And notice there that without options, the price for an 05 on Edmunds is equal to that of a new one or maybe a thousand less. But the cost of a car will change $300 by adding a $20 amp and calling it "monsoon".

It is in fact the lowest price you'll find. Anywhere. Every banker I've ever known uses NADA to price their cars which generally are the highest, but if the bank places the cars value there, then so will I. Will I sell it for that? That's an entirely different discussion. With the answer probably being "no." My post on Craigslist was simply out of the enjoyment of knowing people are looking at it and saying, "Is this guy for real??" hehe.

But all that aside. We're not itching to sell the car. It's more of a convenience factor than anything that we don't have to have so yeah...cars and prices are dumb.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 10:14:30 PM »
>slips into nomex underwear<

SUV? How 'bout an Outback XT? I'm pretty sure it can hold 2 dogs and do "pretty well" in the mountains...

Then you can easily mod it to push about 300hp and slap on some dope coilovers  8)  :lol:

It'll prolly be cheaper, do better on gas, and be less likely to roll in an emergency than most SUV's...Plus you can smoke the mommy who paid twice as much for her Cayenne S

>ducks< :twisted:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 01:22:07 AM »
Quote from: "TurboDub"
Then you can easily mod it to push about 300hp and slap on some dope coilovers  8)

who would do such a crazy thing?  That is just nutz..... :wink:

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 12:30:53 AM »
Hey JR, why don't you go the sport wagon route?  Aside from the Allroad, you can probably pick up a used A6 Avant for a decent price.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 01:49:16 AM »
No matter what you say, I love my Mk5 GLI with a passion.

The seats, the fit and finish, the engine, the transmission, and everything else.  Its just a great car.  Compareable interior size to the Passat, yet more sporty, more rigid, and comparable weights.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 12:47:08 PM »
Steve, I think you have the prettiest MKV I've ever seen  :wink:

Winston, my wife hates wagons and I want something BEEFY. We've got 'em picked out now and things should start changing just after the first of the year. :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 03:14:50 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

Winston, my wife hates wagons and I want something BEEFY. We've got 'em picked out now and things should start changing just after the first of the year. :P

Isn't an SUV just an overgrown wagon?   :D
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 03:30:43 PM »
Not when it's built on a truck platform instead of a car platform like most are.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 04:01:10 PM »
Actually, most small and midsize SUVS are built on car-like platforms. Which is why many handle like...cars. The larger SUVs are on truck-like platforms. Part of the old danger of SUVs is that they were built on truck platforms. Like the Pathfinder used to be on the same platform as their pickup.  Was a dangerous combination.

The idea behind Sport Utility is that is is more car-like than it is truck-like. If it were really truck-like, like the older full size blazers, broncos, Scouts, Ram Chargers, Suburbans and so on, well they get branded Utility Vehicles.

I'm not sure how things like the current Suburbans, Excursions and ginormous "SUV"s get the name SUV when there is clearly no "Sport" in them. Just bohemoth gas guzzling road hog. :)

I think on the market right now, the most rugged SUVs are more utility than anything, Jeep wrangelrs (regular and unlimited), XTerra, and I think that's about it. Everything else focuses on luxury and car like driving abilities. You either are buying a truck, or you buy a really sporty looking minivan in my opinion. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 04:38:39 PM »
We've got 'em picked out now and things should start changing just after the first of the year. :P

so, you gonna tell us what you got "picked out"..... :wink:

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 05:15:23 PM »
Not when it's built on a truck platform instead of a car platform like most are.

Are you picking up a Hummer H1?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 06:49:39 PM »
Haha! Jay, you crack me up...sporty minivan...isn't that the new Tribeca? SUV my a$$! That thing is for the dogs.
You're totally right and we are definately going with the utility part. Luxury is not something we're interested in. And that will be my wife's ride.

Mine new ride on the other hand....let's just say it won't be impressive but that *hopefully* won't last too terrible long. A couple know what I have in mind and I hope they don't say anything until it actually comes through...Like I said, first of the year or so.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 06:53:14 PM »
I fear our next car may be closer to a mini-van.   :?

this however is as close to that as I care to get.  kind of minivan like from the profile (no sliding doors though).

It is the announced at Frankfurt autoshow  mercedes AMG R63.

6.3L v8 510bhp, 465 lb-ft of torque.  seating for 6.  0-60 in under 6 seconds.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 07:59:52 PM »
Andrew, that car is a good looking car.  I have spotted pics of those here and there.  I think Mercedes and VW may be onto something with this and the Touareg.  Tres chic.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 08:35:23 PM »
Not bad, but it still they still just seem to be following the SUV/mini-van morph fad with everyone else.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 09:44:25 PM »
Steve,

The GLI is looking great.  I really like those a lot too.  I sat in one and chatted it up with a guy showing it at a fair here this fall.  

JR, now if you are wanting an SUV, you might as well do it right...

Nothing like 13 MPG to make your heart go pitter patter...

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 11:47:41 PM »
Andrew, Andrew, Andrew.....<shakes head>    That thing is f'n hideous.

That said, it'd kick the crap out of my car and would kill anything in it's class in any category...except maybe value.
So....can I get a ride? 8)
What can I say?  You can't argue with performance, right?  I guess that's why I like STis.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 12:35:03 AM »
If I buy one, sure you and 5 other forum members can all have a ride at once!  hehe.  Before I get one, They have to actually put them into production, import them to the us and set a 1/2 way reasonable price.  I fear that may be the equivalent of a 75K minivan.  

Anyway, you are right it is ugly.  just not sure how else to transport kids in kid seats plus any additional adults besides the wife and I.  only other options are the Suburban/excursion family, or the minivan.  ouch.  I'd buy an ugly car to avoid that!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 10:42:08 AM »
You could sell a kid or your wife...or not take any other adults anywhere. I grew up in Suburbans...they were great. As a kid, we all had a place to stretch out on any of our 20+hr family road trips.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner