Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 2972 times)

capncrunch5177

• n00balicious
Newbie here
« on: October 19, 2005, 05:20:46 PM »
Hello everyone, not only I'm a newbie at this site but soon I will be moving in the Denver/Boulder area soon... Currently in process applying a new job in that area and would appreciate to learn any interesting things about Colorado before I move there.. Cross my fingers that I should go through the process successfully and be able to move there by December!

I have been a member on clubb5.com, and own a Indigo Blue 2000 GLS Passat 1.8T. No mods, but would like to know if any tips on driving in the snow as I am originally from Houston, Texas.

Glad to be on board!  :)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 05:56:13 PM »
welcome and if you need any info on denver i am sure everyone here will be willing to help out.

best advise for driving in the snow, is to watch out for the SUV's.   Those people in SUV's think they can speed and cut you off no matter what the weather is. They are especially funny in the snow/ice. Also get some snowtires and be careful. Our winters are mild it is great.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 05:56:13 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Newbie here
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:24:57 PM »
Welcome aboard, quite a different climate here than Houston, get ready for dry skin and nosebleeds ;)

Winter dirving is a skill set that comes with experience, the winter is fairly mild in the metro area. We only get a couple storms during the season that really snarl things up in terms of traffic.

You would be a good candidate for a nice set of snow tires. The Passat does amazingly well with just all seasons in the snow, but if you aren't used to it, it is a good idea to have the better tires.

I also just realized Eric said hte exact same thing in less words. :)

Regardless, welcome, let us know when you are in town and we can try and round up some folks.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Newbie here
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:42:30 PM »
welcome, Boulder and the north side of Denver is a wonderful part of town.  You will easily adjust and fall in love with the mountains in that area.

There are a bunch of members that live on the north side, and there are always gatherings in Central Denver and other parts of town....and even South of Denver ;)

Again, Welcome.

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.johnwilker.com
Newbie here
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 06:58:24 PM »
as a recent transplant....

Watch out for some of these colorado peeps. They drive like they have the receipt for the freeway (highway here) in their pocket. Also watch out in parking lots. Looking both ways when pulling out, not a thing that happens a lot here. :)

Where are you moving from? TX?

That's about all I can offer so far. Oh yeah! They like to wear crocs here! Avert the eyes!
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Newbie here
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 07:03:45 PM »
Quote from: "jwilker"
They drive like they have the receipt for the freeway (highway here) in their pocket.

freeway =  from cali. do you also drive on 'the 36' or 'the 25'?   :lol:

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Newbie here
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 07:16:46 PM »
LOL. trying to break myself of "freeway"

ok you lost me on teh 25 or 26 part. We say it different? I do call it the 25, I take it that's not the norm? :)
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Newbie here
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 07:18:43 PM »
No, it's referred to as:

I-25
or
the valley highway

We don't use "the" in front of the highway name (except in the instance of the valley highway). :) If we have anywhere near as many highways as Cali then maybe we might change it up. ;)

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Newbie here
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 07:20:29 PM »
ah interesting. Another thing I've noticed is that major streets have a name and a number, State route I assume?

That'll take some getting used to.

"just take 25 South to so and so..." hhmm interesting. :)
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

capncrunch5177

• n00balicious
Newbie here
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 07:21:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice, yeah here everyone also drive like they own the road, can't expect everything perfect...

I am due for new set of tires, but I don't want to invest in new set of wheels right now, so as long as its mild in the city area I should be able to get a set of all seasons... Plus I got my wife the Saab 92x (GM employee deal) so when she come over in a few months, that awd will come plenty handy!

How about in deeper snow? Long time ago I remember taking a ski trip to Breckenridge, before I could drive, and my folks had to hook up snow chains since our car was a RWD... Does anyone local would use those or much preferably use  a second set wheels w/snow tires?

gragravar

• Supercar
Newbie here
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 07:33:39 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
No, it's referred to as:

I-25
or
the valley highway

We don't use "the" in front of the highway name (except in the instance of the valley highway). :) If we have anywhere near as many highways as Cali then maybe we might change it up. ;)

don't forget, 36 is also "the" turnpike (even though it hasn't been a toll road in forever)

oh, and welcome to the club and to the area.   I will join the bandwagon and suggest a second set of rims with snow tires.    In the snow, you are only as good as your traction, so get the best traction you can.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Newbie here
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »
Second set...although I've not bought new rims yet for my snows...I may just tough it out.

Another thing to watch out for here that I hate is a) Hampden St. is different from Hampden Ave., Way, Lane, etc. although you will have all of them, b) SUV drivers here suck and c) Chadwick from Highlands Ranch- it's a fad that needs to die  :lol:  :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Newbie here
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 08:19:02 PM »
I really hate a) OMG I hate a)

I am so used to not looking at the end of a street name, that it drives me nuts when broadway intersects broadway. ARG that is lame. I hate that.

On a side not I was on Hampden (285?) today going to lunch. J's Noodle, yummy stuff.
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Newbie here
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 09:58:24 PM »
Quote from: "jwilker"
LOL. trying to break myself of "freeway"

ok you lost me on teh 25 or 26 part. We say it different? I do call it the 25, I take it that's not the norm? :)

just jokin with ya. everyone i have met from Cali always drives on a 'the' road. They always put a 'the' infront of the highway they are getting on.

I think it is these regional slangs that make things so fun. It is kinda like when you are at the supermarket and they ask you "what kind of  sack?"  First time i heard that i was kind of caught off guard, but she was cute so i played along only to find out she was really asking paper or plastic... I guess i had different things on my mind that day..  :wink: