Author Topic: n00b question: what tyres for a b5.5 in colo  (Read 2985 times)

lucaq

• n00balicious
n00b question: what tyres for a b5.5 in colo
« on: August 25, 2005, 08:01:46 PM »
I figured that it was about time for me to join this forum since my parents just bought a 2004 passat v6.  It is Siver Metalic Grey and is a really nice car.

The rear rotors are warped and it needs some tyres.  I am thinking that it would be best to get all season tyres here, what do the rest of you think?  What tyres have you used in the past, liked, disliked... esp in colorado.  Colorado has snow, but i really don't know if it is engough to warrant buying a seperate set of snow tires considering my mother's driving habits and where she usually drives (highways only really).

Thanks in advance for the welcome, I know alot of you already from vortex and GTGs. (PS I used to have a B4 passat... i loved it to death... B5ers never really seem to care about them though).

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Nokian
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 10:04:19 PM »
Best All-Season tire I've ever owned is the Nokian WR. It is All-Season but very winter oriented yet it is rated @ 50000 miles. If you are looking something sportier I would suggest the Dunlop SP 5000 (the asymmetric one), also very good but more on the summer side, yet it does have above average snow grip, but no-where near the Nokian.

Alex

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Nokian
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 10:04:19 PM »

Gutz

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 01:31:04 AM »
hey all i work at a big o tires and the nokians are a good bet my girlfriend has them on her 2.7t a6 there great. Im running vicking snow techs there good in the snow and ok on pavement but not that good. I would say go with two different sets.

lucaq

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:34:06 AM »
Quote from: "Gutz"
hey all i work at a big o tires and the nokians are a good bet my girlfriend has them on her 2.7t a6 there great. Im running vicking snow techs there good in the snow and ok on pavement but not that good. I would say go with two different sets.

I just don't know if her driving style and enviorment warrant dedicated seasonal sets of tyres...

Gutz

• Stock
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 01:55:05 AM »
an all season tire will most likely due 4 those mainly hwy miles

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 02:04:22 AM »
I think the concensus is the Nokian WR is the best snow-oriented all-season tire available right now.  I'm also willing to bet the ContiExtremeContact is the best snow-oriented all-season tire dollar for dollar right now.
I used to run dedicated snows every winter, but found it to be unnecessary as Denver winters are usually fairly mild.  Keep in mind I ski nearly every weekend, so I drive in deep snow once in a while.  I've had Blizzak LM-22s and Yoko snows, and the Contis get me through just fine.  That said, if I didn't have quattro, I might get dedicated snows.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 02:25:10 AM »
If you do a lot of highway driving far north or south of the city (towards Boulder or Colorado Springs) and heading up to the mountains in the winter, I suggest getting a dedicated set of winter tires especially if you don't have 4-motion.  If you live in a more isolated or rural part of Colorado, snow tires will also be ideal too.

My Blizzaks performed flawlessly for the past few winters, just as good as any AWD with all season tires.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 02:35:29 AM »
conti extreme contact for sure, had them on 2 different cars, going to be getting them for the outback for winter.  I don't need a dedicated winter tire with those on.

so, that is a another vote for them.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 04:17:02 PM »
Here's another thread you can check out...
 :wink:
http://www.rmcb5.com/ftopicp-34803.html#34803
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

lucaq

• n00balicious
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 04:37:44 PM »
Quote from: "TurboDub"
Here's another thread you can check out...
 :wink:
http://www.rmcb5.com/ftopicp-34803.html#34803

I saw it before i posted, but I decided to post anyways since i have a different question since i am not looking for a performance oriented tyre.  Thanks for the link though (plus i thought that that thread was in the wrong forum)

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 12:26:53 AM »
I love my Nokian WR's.  They are better than the Conti's, but you pay A LOT more for them.  Wear so far last winter was very very good.  Even drove a few laps at SCR on them... mildly.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

kutarkvalidus

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 08:26:24 PM »
I have a set of Toyo Proxes 4 on my b5 s4 and i absolutely love them, they are a bit on the pricey side, but, i had absolutely squat traction issues last winter.  Now bottoming out on snow is another story...

(i drove a lifted 97 cherokee for 6 years, bottoming out wasnt an issue, i learned to pay attn to that type of thing the hard way when i got the s4 hehehe)

lucaq

• n00balicious
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 04:08:27 AM »
Well my parents went out and got tyres without me, so I guess we have what we have.  They bought a new set of Michelin Pilot XGT H4, anyone used those on a b5.5 v6 sedan?

Any reviews?