Author Topic: Who's got HD?  (Read 4576 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« on: October 20, 2005, 07:58:27 PM »
I'm watching Incubus live at Red Rocks right now on HD. I love HD. I need to my other dish hooked up so I can get the VOOM! package. I'll  probably do that tomorrow.

Anybody watching the game tonight on HDNet? Hockey in HD is better than live. I swear....

The only reason for this post is that I like HD. I have to add though, that statement only applies to when the video is actually shot in HD from the start.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
Who's got HD?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 08:09:38 PM »
HD is great.  need more channels with it though.  comcast's HD lineup is still pretty thin.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Who's got HD?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 08:09:38 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 08:33:09 PM »
So does Dish's lineup. We did score the Voom! package and I hope to be checking that out tomorrow. It's still really expensive to produce so hopefully the price'll come down soon.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 09:03:25 PM »
HD is great.  Getting a signal however is somewhat troublesome.  I thought Voom went bankrupt and was dead?  DirecTV would be OK but I have too many TVs to easily work with satellite (cable is good for that at least.)  I am not paying for the HD package (or digital cable for that matter) and was getting a bunch of digital channels over the regular cable, some of which were HD, but they have scrambled most of them now.  To get an HD signal from Comcast I need digital cable _and_ the $5 /mo HD package for probably $60 more per month.  $720 bucks per year?  OW!
That also involves another set-top box.  I only have one HDMI input and it goes to my digital tuner/upconverting DVD player so one or the other would have to go to the component video input at 720p.

I might try OTA HD just to see what I can get.  I fooled around with an antenna but have not tried mounting one up high on the roof where it might work decently.  I gave up when I realized I could get most channels just by plugging the cable into my tuner, but many of those channels are now gone.  DVDs look great though.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:30:51 PM »
i'm too cheap for HD. I will only pay for basic cable. $13.90/month. Nothing fancy here.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Who's got HD?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 02:30:55 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
i'm too cheap for HD. I will only pay for basic cable. $13.90/month. Nothing fancy here.

Yup. Same here. Plus $17 netflix and torrents for whatever I can't get off of there. Commercial-free for about 8 months now and loving it. :)

On a related note.... considering the price of HD ($1500+), has anyone thought about going with a projector? There is this one on newegg for about $1000 and I think it would be way cooler than just another TV. Plus I could get rid of my entertainment center and just put in some shelves there or something. This is of course when my current TV dies (why... won't... it... DIE!?  :twisted: ).
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 06:01:23 PM »
I knew a guy that put in an HD projector. It was a 100"+ screen. But it was around $7k for his projector.
My LCD's corners are turning white. I got the four year plan, but I don't want to have to take it in every two weeks. I may be returning it.

On another note, I just found out today that the government is going force an all-digital conversion on TVs by the end of 2008. If you still want to keep your analogue, you're going to need a D/A converter.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 06:17:28 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

On another note, I just found out today that the government is going force an all-digital conversion on TVs by the end of 2008. If you still want to keep your analogue, you're going to need a D/A converter.

Are you serious? So my regular TV will be of no use, i will need to buy a LCD/Plasma with a digital box?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Who's got HD?
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 06:31:17 PM »
Eric, he is talking about NEW TVs sold will need to meet the requirments. This has also been mandated for a handful of years now. TVs sold must support the technology and stations must broadcast that technology. It's a win/win situation.

In the end, it is my understanding that stations will broadcast in both signals for some time. Can't really force consumers to go out and spend money on to get something that should be "free."

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 07:57:38 PM »
Mmmm...according to the council program thing in Europe this past week that our President went to, all TV's and Programming will be all digital by the end of 2008.
Nobody's going to force you to go out and buy a new TV, but if you're still using an analogue/tube TV, you'll need to get a converter box.  
Evidently though, we're behind the Europeans in regards to the amount of digital broadcasting we do. Dish is all digital already, but nobody's forced anything on the consumer as they have in a few countries in Europe.
This was the essence of my department meeting today. Now you've been to work with me.  :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Who's got HD?
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 08:27:01 PM »
I quit! :P

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 08:40:24 PM »
:lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 09:34:50 PM »
guess we will no longer watch TV when this happens. :x

Will my radio still work or will i need to get some crazy satalite  gps radio device that is integrated into my esspresso machine to get some news? :wink:

this world is getting to techno fangled for a old guy like me to keep up.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »
Wow, two words...Internal Confidential.
Look officer, I really do own it......

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 09:53:09 PM »
Quote from: "Wyaka"
Wow, two words...Internal Confidential.

Nope.  It's public info.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

TurboDub

• Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 02:51:58 PM »
So this is kinda off topic, but not really...I thought about creating a new thread, but aww hell I'm over analyzing...anyway....

Those of you with HD...

What type? LCD/DLP/Plasma etc.
What size?
What brand?
Rating 1-10

I'm in the market, and I'm not really sure what to go for. Dell has a new 50" plasma that looks awesome, but I've been to BestBuy etc where the Samsung/Panasonic/Sony/Mitsu's all look good too...I'm pretty sure I want at least a 50" -Most likely DLP because they are cheaper...But any advice/feedback would be very much appreciated.

Al
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Who's got HD?
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 03:16:44 PM »
I have been looking into the same things. I am probably going to go with DLP, but I have to pick wisely on the size as I have limited space (depth wise) to put the tv.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 03:31:32 PM »
Flat Panels are great for space. I have a Westinghouse 27" LCD Flat Panel bought at Best Buy.

We were walking up and down the isles and this one just popped out at us. The picture was better than the Sony's and Samsungs on the same isle, the price was good so we picked it up.

It's weird though. When there's no signal, the corners of mine are light, almost like pressure points, but don't know why that would be the case. When there is signal in the TV, I notice no change in brightness between the corners and the rest of the screen. I'm happy with it overall. It's physically attractive, the picture's fantastic. I have to work hard to see a pixel on HD....

The cons are the fact that when I select a different input, I have to do it menu style instead of the TV just changing inputs without showing the menu. I will recommened and so will just about everyone else that if you purchase an LCD or Plasma to get the extended service plan. as the technology's longetivity of usage hasn't been determined. Mine's good for 4 years of service or replacement.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 07:32:13 PM »
Plasma prices are dropping, but the loss of brightness over time is a problem with them.  They need to get down closer to $1000 for a 40" before I would consider them.

Projectors are a bit noisy and the bulbs are expensive.  Not a bad thing to have for movie night but not an everyday TV replacement.   Then you either mount the projector to the ceiling or set it up on the coffee table when you want to use it, and do something with the screen too.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Who's got HD?
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 07:42:25 PM »
my master plan for my projector would be to have it permanently mounted to the ceiling, then treat the wall rather than have a screen. Not sure if I would do the whole wall or just a strip.

Still, I'd bag the whole idea if I could find a nice 40" DLP/LCD/wtf-ever for less than $1k.

gragravar

• Supercar
Who's got HD?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 02:41:47 PM »
Our new house came with a 42" plasma, but it was too small to really fit the wall it was going on, so I wanted to pay some extra to trade up to a 50".  when I saw the price gap though I almost had a heart attack.  so we traded it for a 52" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV instead.  It is awesome.  

Oh yeah, and a couple of months back I did pick up a nice 24" dell widescreen computer monitor.  Except for the lack of a tuner, it would practically make a nice HDTV too!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Who's got HD?
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 02:45:47 PM »
Well we just ruled out DLP this weekend after measuring the space we want to use. It will be LCD or Plasma. On a side note, I got a Crutchfield magazine in the mail and it had a great little write up n HDTV (confirming what JR mentioned before) and the different options in TVs as well as what to look for.

We went and looked at come Plasma's and LCDs. I think we may go the LCD route as I could not immediately see any real loss like what is usually described. Plus they are a bit cheaper. :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2005, 03:34:49 PM »
Cool! LCD's rule. I love mine...even though there are a few issues with mine, I can't bring myself to give it up :P

Quote from: "gragravar"
Our new house came with a 42" plasma, but it was too small to really fit the wall it was going on...

Too small... :roll:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
Who's got HD?
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »
It is a big wall.   :?  What can I say.    :D

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 10:08:19 PM »
I went with a Toshiba 46" HD rear projection. It has the TALEN lamp technology and has a faster refresh / scan time than the LCD or Plasma. It's only 15" deep so it sits up on my mantel, total weight is 80 lbs. I also went with the Yamaha 720W 5.1 DSS system which KICKS!!!!
All this happened after my separtation... go figure  :roll:

Really though, I went from a 10 year old 27" Sharp to this. I couldn't ne happier. Wathced my first HD program the other night... WOW....

paid $3K for the TOTAL setup including the 1000 series Monster Cables, HD and DSS System. All in all a really good deal I think. The guy at Best Buy really knew what he was talking about, I went right to the manager of that section and he apparently has the same set-up, and he wasn't getting any spiffs so I thought I couldn't go wrong.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Who's got HD?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 12:11:02 AM »
Wow! That's a killer setup! Nice. Sorry to hear about the separation though. That sucks.

I don't know who you have but Dish Network has the Voom! programming under thier HD package in case you need more HD. I can't get enough. I love HD.

Hockey every Thursday night at 9ish on HDNet. I don't care about the teams most of the time, it's just absolutely amazing to see individual flakes off ice off the skates :twisted:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Who's got HD?
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 01:28:18 AM »
Quote from: "hotani"
my master plan for my projector would be to have it permanently mounted to the ceiling, then treat the wall rather than have a screen. Not sure if I would do the whole wall or just a strip.

Still, I'd bag the whole idea if I could find a nice 40" DLP/LCD/wtf-ever for less than $1k.

I know a couple people that have done that and liked it.  Sounds like the walls in Farenheit 451, with the lady complaining about only having screens on 3 walls.  

You could some cool virtual tours on a future version of Google Earth.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 01:00:03 PM »
Yeah this system really kicks. The audio is mind boggling. Especially when you get a true 5.1 DSS movie and crank it up! Shakes the seats! It has a 10" self powered sub that really booms. I'm also going to bridge that with my Sansui AU-717 and hook up my Polk monitors to it, then it will be true theatre 8 speaker running on a 4 ohm system. Can't wait for Super Bowl this year!
My only real complaint is not with the system, but with Comcast. When they brought the HD box over the tech. said that the signal from the box was really weak. That in turn degrades the HD quality (a lot ). Mind you, it is 10 times better than reular digital cable but still, I can tell the difference. I may call Comcast and tell them that I am not happy with the signal, usually they will run a new line for you if you tell them the current one sucks. Anyone ever run into this with them before?
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Who's got HD?
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 01:06:06 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"

You could some cool virtual tours on a future version of Google Earth.

Now there's an idea!

I was thinking more along the lines of playing Halo on a 60" screen. 8O

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Who's got HD?
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 01:06:46 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
Well we just ruled out DLP this weekend after measuring the space we want to use. It will be LCD or Plasma. On a side note, I got a Crutchfield magazine in the mail and it had a great little write up n HDTV (confirming what JR mentioned before) and the different options in TVs as well as what to look for.

We went and looked at come Plasma's and LCDs. I think we may go the LCD route as I could not immediately see any real loss like what is usually described. Plus they are a bit cheaper. :)

Jay:

If you want, go to Best Buy. I can give you a contact name of the guy I dealt with, he was great. They have the Pioneer units on sale for 57% off or more! $7000 TV for $3000!!!! It's an amazing unit! Very highly rated in Sound and Vision magazine.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.