Author Topic: *New pics of the problem added. weird rubbing sound. Ideas?  (Read 2761 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
*New pics of the problem added. weird rubbing sound. Ideas?
« on: October 20, 2005, 11:27:22 PM »
my setup is:

STaSIS SS Coilovers set at 25.5" f &r
H-Sport Rear bar 22mm set on stiff

The problem only started after we raised the suspension after it originally settled, 1.5 months ago.

On a hard left turn (usually 90 degrees or more) when the passenger suspension is under load. The passenger side of the car has a rubbing sound (not constant rubbing sound, just like it hits 5-6 times) as i straighten the wheel and go forward it completly goes away. It seems to come from the front, but it is hard to tell. I pulled the passenger side wheels and i cannot see any rubbing in the wheel wells or on the suspension. My wheel wells are covered in dry grime so i should be easy to see if there is any rubbing.

The problem exists on both my summer 17" wheels and my winter 17" wheels. It appears everything is tight on the suspension, and the springs appear to be properly seated. The bolts are tight on the rear sway bar.

Any ideas on what to look at? Thanks.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 11:39:16 PM »
Eric, Mark said that if you can make the above happen everytime you drive the car, to come by the shop for a test drive.  He would be happy to do what he can to help figure it out.

We will be there all day tomorrow, so call me if there is a time that works for you.

As we did the install, we are more then willing to help figure this out.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 11:39:16 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:42:18 PM »
Well I would...

...first look to see if the tire has clearance between the spring perch (needs about 3-4mm minimum)
...second I would look at the fender liner for any rub marks to see if it might be sagging or if you are hitting it anywhere
...third I would look at the stancions of the shock to see if I can see any wear places, maybe something is wrong with the shock, etc
...forth, if you have a front swaybar, check that to see if the bushings are dry
Life's too short to be taken seriously

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:45:10 PM »
when under a corner load, the wheel slightly adjusts camber...not intentional, but as a result of force from the corner.  It might be possible that the dust shield on front, or rear, is hitting the rotor while going through the corner.  This happened to my MINI, both front and rear, even at low speeds, just a fact of how the suspension flexed while in the corner.  Without underbracing, suspensions are made to flex a little.  Suspension's fixed components flex under acceleration, braking and cornering.

That being said, check the dust shields, front and rear, see if they are clear of the rotor.  The other thing to check is to see if there is a slight tire rub on the coilover races....the tire might be hitting it ever so slightly when turned as the geometry changes with orientation.

With the coilover suspenion on the MINI, there was a slight inside tire rub on the race locking nut for the lower part of the spring...but also only on corners.  Happened on the driver side, not passenger...not sure why, everything looked and felt the same.  I ended up running a set of 5mm spacers, that solved the issue.  Of note, I ran a wider tire than stock, a 215 v a 205...so that may have been part of the issue.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:56:12 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"
Eric, Mark said that if you can make the above happen everytime you drive the car, to come by the shop for a test drive.  He would be happy to do what he can to help figure it out.

We will be there all day tomorrow, so call me if there is a time that works for you.

As we did the install, we are more then willing to help figure this out.

Thanks. I might have to do that. I went by the dealer and as soon as they saw it was not the stock suspension they would not look at the noise. The car is going in for it's 35k service tommarow so i will try again. Randy I was trying to keep from having to have you deal with this retarded B6 suspension again.  :wink:

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 03:58:03 PM »
jon & Jack -  Thanks for the ideas. I am going to check out the brake sheilds as suggested. Maybe they are flexing or are really close. There is plenty of room between the shock/spring and the tire (~1.5") There is also plenty of clearance between the outer fender and the tire (~2").  The sway bar bushing have been lubed.  I have tried 2 different offset wheels and the problem still exists (17x8 w/ 35mm offset & 17x7.5 w/ 43mm offset).

dealership thinks something is loose with my suspension somewhere. They will NOT pull it apart under warranty since it is aftermarket, but was willing to take it apart for 4hrs of labor (didn't even ask how much). I am going to let Mark  at Autobahn drive it and get his opinion. Maybe he will see something that i missed.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 08:20:56 PM »
ok. I figured out what is rubbing. Now i just need to figure out why:

This is the big picture of the suspension. I covered the suspension peice in grease to see if that was what was rubbing. Now i see that it is rubbing.  

you can see the marks in the grease from it rubbing. Now what would cause this? Did raising the car .25" throw the alignment off that much to cause it to rub on just the passenger side? I raised it back to the position that 'i recall' it was at when i had the alignement done. Or is something else wrong? Keep in mind this is just on the passenger side, when making left turns. Happens with and without passengers.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 09:42:30 PM »
do you have camber plates?  are they off, or uneven?

Maybe the adjustments have tossed the camber off to a very negative position on the passenger side, and with a corner, it only get's worse.

try an alignment to see what happens.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 09:52:45 PM »
jon-  i am going to have Mark check everything to make sure everything is snug, then i guess i am off to get another alignment.  It just seems so odd that raising the suspension .25" would throw it off that much.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 04:37:18 PM »
Per Mark looking at the pictures here is what he said:

Because of the location of the rubbing, the allignment is not the problem.  The possible causes of the problem are a bad wheel bearing or the control arms may be rusted in to place and not allowing the correct movement of the entire suspension components.

One last, but unlikely, possibility is that the suspension is bent, or slowly flexing and sagging.

We will see exactly what the issue is on Friday.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 05:23:04 PM »
ok. we will see on friday. The wheel bearings feel ok and there in NO movement in the suspension.  So maybe the control arms are rusted solid. I hope the suspension is not bent seeing as i only have a couple thousand miles on it.  guess we will find out. thanks again randy.