Author Topic: Test drove an APR chip  (Read 1704 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Test drove an APR chip
« on: November 19, 2005, 06:43:17 PM »
As mentioned in my previous post, I found somebody here in Broomfield wanting to trade out his APR chipped ECU for a stock one plus $300. Figuring now was as good a time as any, and since that seems like a really good deal for the chip I decided to go for it.

First, we put the APR ECU in my car and took it for a drive. First thing I noticed was that the torque curve seemed MORE linear. I could hear the turbo spooling much louder than stock, but honestly didn't feel much difference in pull. After driving around for a bit I did start to notice more change. Boost was coming on sooner and stronger and lasting longer which was a good thing, so I was convinced that it was worth the $300.

However.... then we took his car out for a drive and first thing he noticed was that the ABS light wasn't going off. Then I noticed his ESP button, something I'm lacking in my car - in spite of the ECUs having the exact same model #, I guess the ECU contains the programming for the ESP system. Although it drove fine, he didn't want to go trade it in of there was a chance the new ECU had crippled his ESP system, or worse, the ABS. So he decided to bag it and switch back - and I don't blame him one bit, I would have done the same.

So now I've test drove the chip and would like to get one someday, but am not really in a big hurry -- maybe I'll just keep my eyes open for another $300 chip. :)
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 11:44:45 PM »
I can use VAG and reprogram his for ESP, deprogram your ECU for no ESP.   It is a simple thing to do.  What car is it?  

I did it on my golf when I got the quaife... I turned off the ASR/EDL so I only had ABS.

It is seriously a 5 minute fix all on the computer.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 11:44:45 PM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 02:29:38 AM »
I thought so, and I mentioned it but he was on his way to trade in the car this weekend.

Both are 2001.5 A4s with quattro and 5 speed.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 08:28:32 PM »
don't worry. APR will have a holiday sale here in a couple weeks. And maybe  GIAC will throw out some holiday specials this year.. :wink:

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:45:48 AM »
FWIW, MTM (hoppenmotorsport.com) is having a sale on their chips.  I've never heard of anything MTM on sale, and they've discounted them around $200.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 02:30:54 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I question wheather or not the chip is really worth it. I honestly didn't feel any more torque, but we're talking butt-dyno here. Maybe I needed to have it in the car longer, or maybe it wasn't doing what it should, but I swear my car is just fine as it is, and the difference in power is hardly worth the $500 or so of a new chip.

It was the same thing when I had the UPsolute chip done on the Passat. I almost drove back to the shop and asked for my money back. The difference was, well, anti-climactic. Over time it seemed to adapt or whatever, and provide a bit more 'umph.' I had done 0-60 tests on my own before and after (it was a tip), and there was NO DIFFERENCE!

So WTF? Am I missing it? I read posts all the time, some n00b gets chipped and titles the thread "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!111!! OMG@!!!!!11" but my experience has been a bit different; more of a: "chipped. out $500. whee."

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 02:40:02 PM »
When i had my Passat chipped by Upsolute I noticed right away. It took some time for everything to adapt and it only got better.  It was really easy to spin my wheels and and the boost was held a lot longer and like you said, at about 11psi.

My investment was minimal in that chip and the way it drive afterwards made me feel that I really did get a great bargain on mine.

Now, I'm not certain, but I think when you get chipped you have to do a TBA? At least I recall that needing to be done on my B5.

I mean the ECU is still going to learn driving habits and all that, so there is the possibility that just throwing in the ECu you weren't really getting the benefit of the chip?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 02:47:47 PM »
It takes about 100 miles of driving to really get the most out of the chip.  It takes a few days for the car to "learn" it.
If you want torque, go MTM.  If you want high-rev HP, go GIAC...or maybe APR.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 02:52:20 PM »
I think 3zero3 Morotsports can give you the Revo "test" flash for free. That gives you the Revo software for about 5 hours of driving.  Now that you have tested one, might be worth testing another.  :twisted:

Say "Hi" to my car while you are there....I miss it :cry:

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Test drove an APR chip
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 03:11:50 PM »
awww - poor S4. :(

Yeah, I think time makes a difference. I know with the UPsolute in my passat it took a really long time before I could really feel the change. Like I said, the APR did change the behavior of the engine, but not enough -- maybe after a month or so it would have 'kicked in.'

Quote from: "DenverPat"
It takes about 100 miles of driving to really get the most out of the chip.  It takes a few days for the car to "learn" it.
If you want torque, go MTM.  If you want high-rev HP, go GIAC...or maybe APR.

Yes. This is where I noticed it the most, coming up the big hill on 287 heading south into Broomfield. The torque just kept going longer, which, don't get me wrong, was a VERY good thing - I suppose I was just expecting more 'punch' rather than a different torque curve which is what it turned out to be.