Author Topic: Go or No-Go Possible new(to me) Purchase  (Read 2932 times)

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
Go or No-Go Possible new(to me) Purchase
« on: November 02, 2005, 06:50:47 PM »
I can't decide whether I should do this.  KBB is $22,940, sale price is $16995.  Discuss among yourselves.

If anyone has a CARFAX account, can you run this number: SALTW15401A299412
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 06:53:28 PM »
While I love Discos, I just couldn;t bring my heart to buying one because of the potential problems. Do a little research and look for consumer reviews of reliability and service before jumping into one of these.

I looked at a few some months back and got all hot and heavy over them until I read more into reliability and service costs.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 06:53:28 PM »

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 06:54:10 PM »
We didn't like our 2000...traded it in for another 4runner.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 06:54:45 PM »
I had a Disco about 2.5 years ago.  Loved it.  Leaked a ton of oil and the power stearing box leaked as well.  But outside of that, the car was a blast.  I think that is a decent price, but remember, when you need repairs on them, they are EXPENSIVE.  for example, a tail light brush guard is something like $100, per side I think. 8O

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 06:57:52 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
...for example, a tail light brush guard is something like $100, per side I think. 8O

Metal grating + rivets from home depot: $4 :lol:
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 06:59:40 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
I had a Disco about 2.5 years ago.  Loved it.  Leaked a ton of oil and the power stearing box leaked as well.  But outside of that, the car was a blast.  I think that is a decent price, but remember, when you need repairs on them, they are EXPENSIVE.  for example, a tail light brush guard is something like $100, per side I think. 8O

Like our cars are not expensive when it comes to repairs.....
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 07:24:34 PM »
one of the guys i ride with has a 2002 and loves it. He has a had a few small things go wrong, but nothing major. His wife drives it 75% of the time and she has never had a problem. He was able to buy a extended warranty on it so that made him feel a little better about buying one since you hear all the horror stories.

Is there a way to buy an extended warranty on it if you buy it? If so i don;t think i would be too worried.

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 07:30:02 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
one of the guys i ride with has a 2002 and loves it. He has a had a few small things go wrong, but nothing major. His wife drives it 75% of the time and she has never had a problem. He was able to buy a extended warranty on it so that made him feel a little better about buying one since you hear all the horror stories.

Is there a way to buy an extended warranty on it if you buy it? If so i don;t think i would be too worried.

From what I have read elsewhere this is the conclusion I get.  I will probably get a Warranty.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 07:44:57 PM »
Quote from: "PasSoup"

Like our cars are not expensive when it comes to repairs.....

compared to what I drive now (subaru and MINI), it is very expensive to repair.  I believe the costs are more than even Audi or VW at the moment.  Everything I wanted to get for the Disco was cost prohibitive...mods were not on the moderate side.  I spend a lot of money on cars, but the Disco seemed to be the most expensive to maintain, fix, or modify.  Just my thoughts.  Price out some repairs, and you will see what I mean.  Oil seals, power stearing, tranny repairs, etc.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 07:48:16 PM »
I say "no" but then I'm biased towards what I'm going to be picking up in the near future :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 07:56:25 PM »
A good friend of mine just picked one up as a project vehicle (he says his 540i was too fast and got too good gas mileage, hehe  :lol: )  the one he found had a salvage title (although it showed no signs of why) and it only cost him 3K!  

I wouldn't pick one up as a daily driver, but for some fun off roading, if you know what you are getting into repair and cost wise, go for it.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 08:11:57 PM »
Remember, with the extended Rover warranty there is a $100 copay every time you take the vehicle in, and the warranty doesn't extend to wearable parts (this bit us pretty good).
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 08:19:57 PM »
Engilish automobiles always have a parts supply issue for what ever reason here in the US.  There are about five people that I work with that have or had disco's while I have worked here and most of them liked them, but hate/hated the cost of ownership and waiting weeks and weeks for parts.

I know one of our director's just traded his in after paying 3k+ for a trans repair and he had to wait a month and a half to get it back.  Now he drives a Toyota Matrix.
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 08:20:41 PM »
Well I think it will be a no-go.  Considering the problems I had when I bought my Passat used i.e the clutch, I will steer in another direction.  I am still looking for an SUV around the same price if anyone has suggestions, perhaps a Jeep of some sort.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 08:25:59 PM »
I would look at 4Runners, Grand Cherokees (can't believe I am saying that), Xterra, Pathfinder.

Of course we all have opinions on each of these vehocles, but could give a place to start looking. I would probably recommend the 4Runner above all others, good track record, even with the potential problems there are a lot of owners, readily available parts and so on.

So really, depending on what size, engine, and requirements like that, it's a starting point. I spent A LOT of time researching 4Runners not to long ago, but at a lower price point. There is a lot of information out there.

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 08:33:10 PM »
My suggestion would be a 1995 - 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser (Series 80).  They are tough as hell, very solid engine and driveterain, they last forever, easy to get parts for, nice interior, and have solid axles.  What more could you want :P
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 08:50:59 PM »
what about buying a CPO VWToureg or Porsche Cayenne?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 09:10:48 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
what about buying a CPO VWToureg or Porsche Cayenne?

Big bucks!

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005, 11:10:00 PM »
British cars are no stop maintainance.  Don't do it.  Get something else instead.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 02:37:24 AM »
I had rented a Disco while my Passat was in the shop.
In the week I had it I was not impressed.
It is definately not a modern car let alone a SUV, sure it's stellar off road, but I had no fun driving it on the road.  It felt sluggish and jittery, I had to be extremely cautious around corners as you could really feel it lean, and eventhough it looks and feels large the cargo capacity was very disappointing -- in my Passat I could fit four people and all of our ski and snowboarding gear inside, but when I went on a weekend of skiing I could barely fit the same amount of cargo and no one was comfortable in it at all. The amount of usable space was not as big as the size of SUV would suggest.
The wipers were too small to be that effective and they actually failed while on the highway which I could barely see out of.  The quality of the interior and ergonomics were ancient as well.

Range Rovers and Land Rovers have spotty reliability and quality issues especially if it's 2001 or older.  Not only will you be pretty much spending another car payment's worth of gas but maintanence would take a beating on your wallet.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50