Author Topic: 1987 Mk2 GTI 16 Valve Build Up Thread 56k die  (Read 5835 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Re: 1987 Mk2 GTI 16 Valve Build Up Thread 56k die
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2006, 03:14:12 PM »
Thank you.  It has cleaned up nicely, but with alot of work.  I cant tell you how much weight Ive shaved off just in cleaning things.   :lol:  I hope to have the motor all back together here pretty soon.  I'd love to order the cams, and the rest of the rebuild kit this week if at all possible.  But being that the 18th will be my final day at work (closing my call center down) funds are going to be slim if I dont have a job here pretty soon.   :cry:

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2006, 11:22:10 PM »
Some more things to drool, or laugh about... your choice.  But on with the pictures as of recent times.

As far as the timing belt covers and head is concerned, everything is going to be cleaned up, replaced, and rebuilt.  I just have to get the part numbers for the timing belt covers so I can go ahead and order those and hope that there are still a few at the US warehouses to get stuff from.

As far as the head is concerned, I've gone ahead and ordered a set of TechTonics 268 degree camshafts, AutoTech sport tuned valve springs, new lifters, valve stem seals, timing chain for the new cams, and other items needed to rebuild the head.  Once I get all of the needed nuts, bolts, and other items, I'm going to ship the head out to a guy on Vortex to have the 2.0L head ported, polished, and fully assembled and ready to scream and lope.

Once I get it back, I'll get some fully assembled pictures.

Enjoy for now,
Steve

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2006, 11:22:10 PM »

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 11:56:15 AM »
Nice job so far Steve! Looking forward to the pics with the new head on it! I take it you're just working on drivetrain right now. When is the interior stripping going to start? Are you staying with stock interior other than rollcage?
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2006, 04:02:29 PM »
Sup Al...

I think Ive decided not to do a cage.  Im going to keep the OE interior for now, and may just remove the rear seats when I race.  Its not hard to do and good for about 50-75 lbs I'd say.

Yes, Im working purely on the driveline at this point.  Getting the engine and such taken care of now while its all out is key.  Why work on just rebuilding the head and then have to go in and clean everything up a few months from now anyway?  Easier to do it all now while its all apart.  Atleast with the red paint, Ill be able to see any major leaks.

I got some goodies from UPS this week.

New OE lightweight lifters
Seals for the head
Timing chain
Windage tray and new oil pan
Magnetic drain plug and misc washers
TechTonics Tuning heavy duty valve springs
TechTonics Tuning 268 degree camshafts

Im still waiting on some exhaust studs and some other misc nuts and bolts for the head.  Once I get those items, Im going to be sending the head and everything else over to a guy on Vortex, 16vCorey to have the head ported and polished, along with new valve guides, valve stem seals, and a complete rebuild with all of the new parts Ive bought.  Once its all done, this car is going to look like a terd, but it'll run strong enough to put some basic Hondas in their place.   :twisted:

Steve