Author Topic: Hacienda Colorado: tequila bar, good. food, meh.  (Read 953 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Hacienda Colorado: tequila bar, good. food, meh.
« on: November 18, 2005, 02:28:29 PM »
Tried the new Hacienda Colorado restaurant in Westy last night. I would rate the food just slightly above crapplebees, but I wasn't really expecting much. They have a LOOOOONG way to go before de-throning Three Margaritas. I ordered a "CHICKAchanga" and it was filled with something resembling kraft macaroni and cheese sauce with chicken chunks in it. There was a side of rice that looked like an Uncle Ben's "Mexican rice" mix.

Obviously the emphasis is not on food, but rather the image. And it was a very attractive place, nicely decorated, good atmosphere for a family restaurant, and basically all marketing with no content. Give me a dive restaurant tucked in a dark corner of a strip mall with *excellent* and *authentic* Mexican food and I'm happy. If you can survive without being smothered by in-your-face-suburban-style atmosphere, go to La Gunas at Huron and 120th instead. Get the fish tacos (or any number of items on the menu - I always get the fish tacos), a tall glass of horchatta and a Negra Modelo. Welcome to Mexico.

Now, where Hacienda Colorado shined was in the tequila bar. My advice: Eat somewhere else, then go there to try some tequilas. They have an amazing selection. Three Margaritas in Broomfield has a lot too, but Hacienda has more bar space and I believe a larger spread of the sacred agave juice. Now I have to admit, the *display* was nice. It was multi-tiered, and backlit allowing you to see all the bottles from about anywhere in there which is really important to us tequila nerds. My only complaint was that the bartender was not a tequila fan herself. If you own a restaurant with such a nice tequila bar, you don't staff it with just anyone. You put someone in there that has an appreciation for the drink, knows the history and production methods and at least has a few favorites to suggest. I'd give the bar 7 out of 10 agave plants. With a knowledgeable bartender it would easily be a 9.

The restaurant itself gets an A in marketing and atmosphere, and a D+ for food. Granted, I didn't try any of the 'popular favorites' and really, what was I thinking when I ordered the CHICKAchanga? sheesh. I'd like to try it again to give it another chance, but I'm not going to. :P
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

dubitup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »
I totally agree on the food, I really hate it...we used to eat at the one down south, it was good, then something changed and every time we ate there we would get horrible heart burn, we stopped going, several of my coworkers have had the same experience.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »