Author Topic: Looking for a new car  (Read 4648 times)

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« on: November 28, 2005, 02:33:18 PM »
Well, I've had my Gti for 2 1/2 years now and have left it relatively untouched.  So now comes the big debate: finally start modding the Gti, or buy a new car.  The reason I'm debating this is that it'll cost me around $7-8K to get the Gti the way I want it.  And there are cars out there that can get me the same power I want, but from the factory, and still have enough aftermarket support for down the road.

I've norrowed my search down to these:
A3, Sport Package w/ 6sp
WRX Sport Wagon
Dodge SRT-4
New Jetta 2.0T

Any input or thoughts on any of these vehicles would be appreciated.  The A3 would be my top choice, but it is the most expensive on the list.  The SRT-4 is the best bang for the buck and the Jetta and WRX sit somewhere in between.  So far I've driven an A3 Base model and the SRT-4, although it wat wehn they first came out.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 02:52:02 PM »
If you wait and get the A3 with Quattro that would be my choice #1.

I am not a big fan of the new Jetta styling, it just don't jive for me.

I will never buy a DaimlerChrysler product, so i can't give the nod to the neon.

But i do like the WRX. I think the WRX is the best overall bang for the buck. Or even get the Saab 9-2x and get the nice GM incentives, ecentially it is a WRX with GM incentives.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Looking for a new car
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 02:52:02 PM »

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 02:56:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure if I got an A3 Quattro it would definitly throw it out because of what I want to spend.  Also I saw some of the new V6 A3's, nicely equipped, but cost around $38K.

I thought of the 9-2x, but not a big fan of the styling.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Looking for a new car
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:04:32 PM »
get the Rex....WRX :woohoo:

New front end style, better refinement and sound insulation, 227hp all wheel drive, and you can get them for under $20 new if you look around and do your shopping.  Like Eric said, biggest bang for the buck, bullet proof engine, and I believe they are all the 2.5 liter now, just de-tuned STi block....so there is a TON of aftermarket support for them, suspension, engine, interior, exterior...what ever you want, and the modifications are MUCH cheaper than the european options.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Looking for a new car
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:16:28 PM »
When I was out shopping, the WRX was at the top of my list. After driving it, it just fell off because of fit and finish. It is not a smaller Legacy GT (which would be frikkin sweet), but a little stripped down rally car. If that is what you want then awesome. I'll just say this much about my A4: I like the 'whump' when I close the door (the rex went *bang!*), the interior, heated seats... all those cushy things matter. Maybe they have refined it a bit for the latest model?

Which brings up the saabaru; a WRX with nice fit and finish. A couple of months ago they were *giving* them away. Aeros with the 227hp engine were going for less than $20k. Not sure how the aftermarket crosses over from subaru to saab, but I would think most of the engine mods would work.

Personally I'm a big fan of the A3, but only if it's quattro. Maybe that is not as much of an issue to you. I don't know if there will be a quattro 2.0T option later, but that would be very cool -- especially with DSG.

As for the money... spending $5k or so on mods is less than $30k on a new car. But you don't get to spread it out (unless you save and plan... HA!), and warranty can be a very good thing.

If I had all my time to mess with cars and plenty of disposable income, I'd probably do the modding route. However, seeing as how I'm usually a bit too busy and broke nowadays, the more I can get that i want from the factory, the better.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 03:20:01 PM »
Any ideas of where to start looking?  The new WRX Wagons have an MSRP of around $25K, so if you know where I may be able to get them down below $20 that would be awesome.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 03:22:30 PM »
after having subaru's for many years, goign to a FWD VW for a few years and now having Quattro again i highly recommend the AWD.. The WRX is the best bang for the buck in the AWD good HP marketplace. Almost all of the WRX parts are fully transferable to the Saab-aru. The Saab-aru is made in Japan just like the rest of the Subies.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Looking for a new car
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 03:38:45 PM »
King Subaru in Loveland.  Ask for Joe Cooley.  He is the internet guy there, he will give you bottom line right up front.  My Outback, fully loaded, was almost $4000 below sticker.

If you go to www.cars.com, and look up Impreza wagons, he always lists his new cars as if they were used, and he has a decent starting price, but once you start talking to him through the internet, he will drop his price fast.  He gave me a great price on my trade in as well.

Hope that helps.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 03:54:25 PM »
Thanks, that's great.  I have yet to drive a WRX though.  I plan to drive all the cars on the list at least once ot twice before I make a concrete decision.  I'll just need to convince the sales person to let me have it for longer than the 15 minutes you usually get.

I love my VW because of the fit and finish, so that's high on my list.  I could give up the heated seats, but they are extremely nice to have.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Looking for a new car
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 04:00:48 PM »
hehe - my heated seats just stay on during the winter months, typically at the highest setting! No, I could not live without the butt warmers! :lol:
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jfrahm

• Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 04:03:06 PM »
The WRX is a bargain, but once you drive one you can see why.  Compared to a Legacy the WRX is a cheap econobox with lots of upgrades, but still very tinny and cheap in the fit an finish department.  The 9-2x is better in this regard and also not as common as the WRX, which is nice.  WRX's are everywhere.

The cost of cars being what it is, and taking into account your interest in owning for only a couple-three years, I'd suggest a CPO used car.  Good warranty coverage and a lot less taxes and depreciation.  Taxes are cut almost in half by the third year, they start out a 2.1%, then 1.5%, 1.2%, .9% and then .45% for years 5-9.

One car I really, really liked that can be found CPO is the 2002 Audi A4 3.0 M6.  Maybe $22-25K but an awesome car.  Maybe an R32 can be found as a CPO also.  I also liked were the Saab 9-3 sports sedan.  I'd much rather have a CPO A4 than a new Jetta.

I recall doing the math on this and finding that a CPO car was going to cost about $4k per year to own while a new car cost about $5k per year.  An older used car out of warranty cost a lot less but you have to be ready to pay for some unexpected repairs (figuring them in they are still cheaper as long as you don't blow an engine or tranny.)

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 04:03:35 PM »
It's funny how certain things you can live without for many years, but as soon as you have them, you can't give them up.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 04:12:09 PM »
Since I tend to keep cars for only 2-3 years I'm almost tempted to lease a car.  I could get a lot more car for the same money, but then you get stuck with limited miles per year, charges when you turn it in, possible additional wear and tear charges, etc.

If I keep the Gti I will mod it, but if I get a new car I could go another 2-3 years without modding it.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

TurboDub

• Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 05:16:55 PM »
+1 for the WRX!!

or if you want something a little more refined check out a Legacy GT...

NO I'm not biased or anything...  :lol:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Looking for a new car
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »
Subaru does the 24 hour test drive.  Ask for that locally.

jfrahm

• Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:20:18 PM »
Leasing is a good option if you turn them over pretty regularly, and can risk taking a big hit if you have to get out early, and do not put tons of miles on a car.   I like the idea of leasing as you know you can put normal wear and tear on the car and do not have to worry about a few dings and scratches.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Looking for a new car
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 12:03:47 AM »
AWD has my vote... FWD doesn't even come close to the handling that RWD or AWD have.  I saw subaru.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 03:08:26 AM »
I checked King Subaru on cars.com and found two that would be good possibilites, both are listed for about $2,000 under invoice.

I guess this weekend I'll start test driving cars.  Where to begin?

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 04:04:05 AM »
Quote from: "KevB"
I guess this weekend I'll start test driving cars.  Where to begin?

Kev

well, if there are any in Centential, I would start there... then spread wider and wider range through the metro area.  That is where I would start if I was you.  :lol:

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 04:17:04 AM »
Quattro could only be had with the V6 A3, and that's a $4,000 premium over the 2.0T A3 which I think it's already overpriced.  The 2.0T has a lot of modding potential but it lacks the advantages of the Quattro.  I think you could get a sweet deal on a 2.0T A3 after the New Year as it has been a really slow seller.  My preference would be a nicely modded A3 2.0T with DSG (if you don't mind the lack of a clutch pedal), the Revo program for the 2.0T is pretty awesome.

The newly restyled Subie WRX is actually nicer looking.  The performance is extremely good, but you still have to deal with the econobox interior and rather spartan features.  It has AWD driving all that power so I don't complain.

The Dodge Neon SRT-4 is still a Neon.  The performance is there but you have to deal with a rather poorly built and poor quality car.  The 4 cylinder engine is rather strained, rough and unrefined, and the interior is just the same.  It will still seem like the chick car even with the obnoxious huge handle bar rear spoiler.  Also it suffers from really bad depreciation.

The Jetta 2.0T styling is rather bland and Corolla-like, but it has some great features, a very nice interior and it's now as large as a B5/B5.5.  If you are willing to spend the money to mod this Jetta it would be a pretty nice ride and much cheaper than the A3.  You may want to consider the upcoming Golf V/GTI as it will be priced a tad less than the Jetta.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

SivNiz

• Stock
    • http://
Looking for a new car
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 02:07:35 PM »
What about an EVO VIII.  Those things are fast!

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 02:11:39 PM »
I forgot to mention I do have the requirement of 4 doors.  Mostly just for convience because I tedn to put a lot of stuff in the back seat and it's a pain having to fold the seat forward and reach in the back, etc.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 02:13:16 PM »
An EVO would be nice, but that is a little out of my budget.  The A3 is pushing it and it's only $29K.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

jfrahm

• Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 05:28:04 PM »

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2005, 05:41:22 PM »
Thanks.

That's a nice looking car.  I wouldn't mind buying from a private party, but I'm not too sure how easy it'll be to sell my car.  It wouldn't be able to make two car payments for more than a couple months.  My loan balance is between NADA trade-in and retail, so I have a little leway in what price I could ask.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

TurboDub

• Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2005, 05:49:48 PM »
Maybe something like this?...:twisted:

I paid just under $25k for mine...and the ins was half what it would have been for a WRX/EVO/9-2x Aero

Go to Shortline Subaru. The chick that handles internet sales was very  cool and fair. She drives an OB XT and an A6 2.7T...
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2005, 09:25:04 PM »
Well here's an update on my car search:

I test drove an A3 w/ Sport Package & DSG, SRT-4, and WRX Sport Wagon today.  

The Sport Package makes a noticable difference over the base A3.  I got lucky and the sales person let me have it for a half hour, by myself.  I got to run it a little on Deer Creek Canyon Road.  I love the new 2.0T.  If I get an A3 it will definitely have the Sport Package.  The one I drove today also had DSG.  Slick, but I'd still take a 6sp manual over it.

The SRT-4 was a alot like the last one I drove when they first came out.  This one had better seats in it though, like the R32 Konigs, not as high quiality cover, but the same support.  Turbo lag wasn't too bad, better than the WRX.  Strong motor when the turbo kicks in (250 torque).  Right now I cn get one for $19K.

The WRX was kind of a disapointment.  It had more turbo lag than I thought it would.  In my GTI I can be in 4th at 30-35mph and not have to downshift to get going, but in the WRX I wouldn't get anywhere without downshifting.  The interior was better than I thought, but I didn't really like the seats.  One surprise was the brakes, 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rears standard.  Also I think the car weighs too much for just 230 lb/ft of torque, didn't really pull that hard.  Rolling into the throttle in any gear other than first didn't provide any kind of rush.  

As of right now the WRX is out.  I feel for me the SRT-4 would be a better fit with less turbo lag, better seats, and similiar build quality.  The A3 would still be the ultimate, but with the Sport and Winter Packages it hits $28K.

So really it's down to keeping the GTI and start modding, or get the SRT-4.  I guess with less than $1K in suspension, $600 for a chip, and some type of turbo-back exhaust I should be on par with stock SRT-4 performance.

Decisions, decisions.....

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 12:31:23 AM »
SRT-4, while fun and fast for cheap... it is cheap... rattles and problems will happen quicker with this car.  FWD car, go the GTI w/ mods.  It is a better assembled and built car.  The neon does have a better rear suspension design, but isn't as strong for mishaps (pot holes, curbs, etc you can easily bend suspension parts).

WRX is pretty disappointing stock, but easy and cheap to mod and can really be an impressive car when modified.   The weight distribution is better than the cars you have listed, and the AWD really allows you to have fun in the snow and corning in general.  You can also launch AWD too.  I put the WRX in the rattle box catagorie.  After a year or two you get a lot of rattles (way more than a german car)....

The legancy GT is a different story.  It is built along the lines of the GTI, full door frames, etc.  It has the 2.5 motor(270hp?) and good brakes stock.  The interior is as cool, if not cooler than the GTI.  They aren't much and they can be tuned easily.  For about a grand in mods, you can have a car that will pull away from my Stage 3+ GTI and will probably be able to corner faster too.  It is a bit bigger of a car than I think you are looking at, but it isn't heavy.  It is only about 200-300 pounds heavier than the GTI (WRX is 100-200lb heavier than the GTI).  All the subaru's have that low center of gravity and high clearance... so you can slamm them, and you still won't be close to hitting your oil pan.  If you need to see, check out Joel's GT at RS Motorsports.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Looking for a new car
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 01:29:15 AM »
I wouldn't mind a Legacy GT, but I think it's out of my price range.  I believe that they will be in the same ballpark as the A3.  

I'm leaning towards keeping the GTI for a few more years, by then the MKV GTI's and R32/36 will be here, and a couple years into the model run.  Also maybe Colorado will have another road course built by then.

I guess I'll keep the GTI mods pretty basic; make the car more fun, but not go overboard.  

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Looking for a new car
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2005, 03:19:51 PM »
Quote from: "KevB"

So really it's down to keeping the GTI and start modding, or get the SRT-4.  I guess with less than $1K in suspension, $600 for a chip, and some type of turbo-back exhaust I should be on par with stock SRT-4 performance.

Decisions, decisions.....

Kev

Caugh, Hack, Clears throat, Excuse me.

Personally if you are looking to move from the GTi to the SRT-4, I would stick with the GTi and start the mods.  The fit and finish is far above the Dodge and  lets be honest, your GTi has much more potential the the SRT-4.

But it is your car, so go with the one you want.  I know you will make the right decision :wink:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065