Author Topic: Insurance Institute: Top 10 safest cars  (Read 2687 times)

TurboDub

• Modded
Insurance Institute: Top 10 safest cars
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:31:22 PM »
VW/Audi's are all over this list! (and my subie too) hehe

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/12/04/iihs_top_safety/index.html

Large Cars

Gold: Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego (Twin vehicles)

Silver: Audi A6

Midsized cars

Gold: Saab 9-3

Gold: Subaru Legacy

Silver: Audi A3

Silver: Audi A4

Silver: Chevrolet Malibu with optional side airbags

Silver: Volkswagen Jetta

Silver: Volkswagen Passat

Small cars

Gold: Honda Civic 4-door
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 02:40:56 PM »
We were having a discussion about this in the B6 forum on vortex. I guess the 500/Montego are based on the Volvo S80 and the Malibu is based off of european counterparts as well including Saab.

Big deal right? Well this proves once again that American car manufacturers are still lacking in superior safety. All the accolades of safety on an american car are coming from their foreign acquisitions and being incorporated into American branded cars.

Don't get me wrong, I am not agains the American car manufacturer, but I am still dissappointed the direction these companies are driving themselves. I uderstand the pride behind Made in America, but to be competitive we found that we have to spend billions of dollars acquiring foreign car companies just to try and remotley get close in quality and safety.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 02:40:56 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 02:44:49 PM »
I have something against Americna Cars...not a fan.  Safety is a big issue, look at those pictures that Jack posted earlier...like the MINI vs. the F150 in a head on crash.  I'll take my MINI any day....as well as my scoobie

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 02:47:52 PM »
That's what I was trying to elude to, the true american made cars crumble in an accident. Now the foreign influenced American cars, they hold up well.

After seeing those pictures yesterday I was behind like 2 or 3 of those F150s this morning and I was just hoping they don't get in a wreck.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 02:54:06 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
I have something against Americna Cars...not a fan.  Safety is a big issue, look at those pictures that Jack posted earlier...like the MINI vs. the F150 in a head on crash.  I'll take my MINI any day....as well as my scoobie

I can't believe how much the A-pillar and bottom of the frame around the door buckled on that F150!

It's also sad that when buying a Malibu you have make sure to order the OPTIONAL side airbags for your own safety...crazy priorities GM!
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 02:55:51 PM »
I totally agree with you Jay, everyone tells me how unsafe my MINI is...and they all drive things like the Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Expdtns, and large dodge or other versions of pick-ups and suvs.  I am forwarding that picture to all of them to let them know that yeah.....they are safer in their over sized gas guzzler that sits real high off the ground ;)

I saw the Saab 9-7x yesterday, just a cladded trailblazer....blech.

It is interesting that the Ford Five Hundred is based on the Volvo S80...to me, it has more Audi like lines...the roof line in particular.  But it all makes sense.  I like the fords better than I like the Chrysler/Dodge renditions....

It is a shame that American companies have not been able to step it up...I guess that is some of the reason they are showing such huge losses this past year, GM and Ford...both are having financial issues.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:00:24 PM »

I know this doesn't make things better for the ford, but be careful with the interpretation of those pictures.  it really isnt the cooper vs the F150, it is the cooper vs a wall and an F150 vs a wall then comparing the two.  with the F150's weight and ride height, I wouldn't want to see the cooper in a true F150 v cooper accident.

I guess that is why the cooper handles so well too, so you can get out of the way.   :D
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 03:03:07 PM »
Quote from: "TurboDub"

I can't believe how much the A-pillar and bottom of the frame around the door buckled on that F150!

It's also sad that when buying a Malibu you have make sure to order the OPTIONAL side airbags for your own safety...crazy priorities GM!

but don't forget your little kids.  side curtain airbags aren't compatible with many infant seats.  that would be why they are made optional - so you don't wind up killing your kid just because you thought the car was safer with the optional bag.  comes down to safer for whom.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 03:04:27 PM »
Interesting, aren't side impact airbags/curtains going to be required in the next year or two?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 03:06:40 PM »
aren't the curtain air bags standard in the allroad as well?  I know they are standard in most cars these days.

I don't have kids...yet that is, but I know i will be more concerned with that when that time comes.  Their safety will be a priority when considering new cars.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 03:26:23 PM »
I have to say that I am impressed with the subie!

http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=203

8)

Here is the marginal test that the subie got b/c the side airbags were manufactured and installed improperly 8O

http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=259

Subaru actually recalled some 05 to fix the issue and then redesigned the 06's to be even safer...

http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=602
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 03:33:04 PM »
I think the problem is in how the side bags deploy (where they originate from).  If they are in the headliner and deploy "down", it it different than if they are in a seatback and deploy "up":

I think the side airbags in the ar are in the seatand deploy away from the infant seat in the back.  hmmm,  probably a good idea to verify all of this.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 03:44:37 PM »
Andrew, I am pretty sure my allroad had both the curtain and rear seat bags....the rear seat bags were optional, and in my car.  I think the curtain bags were standard.  They are standard on my outback, and were standard in my 2003 Passat, and are standard in my 2003 MINI.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »
hmmm.  I'll take a look over lunch, if I venture out away from the office.

you could be right though.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 04:23:07 PM »
The wall impact is not a good test, the offset front impact is a better real-world test.  True head-ons are rare.  Another question would be how safe the Mini is when hit by a truck/SUV, or how it compares to realistic alternatives (who is going to sell the Mini and get an F150 for saftey?)
A more realistic evaluation would be to compare the Mini and some other cars, maybe small SUVs, and to evaluate how safe the Mini is if it gets punted by an SUV or minivan.

I'm not saying the Mini is not safe, but I would not say it is because of a favorable comparison to an F150 in an unlikely crash scenario.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 04:30:42 PM »
Quote from: "jfrahm"
The wall impact is not a good test, the offset front impact is a better real-world test.  True head-ons are rare.  Another question would be how safe the Mini is when hit by a truck/SUV, or how it compares to realistic alternatives (who is going to sell the Mini and get an F150 for saftey?)
A more realistic evaluation would be to compare the Mini and some other cars, maybe small SUVs, and to evaluate how safe the Mini is if it gets punted by an SUV or minivan.

I'm not saying the Mini is not safe, but I would not say it is because of a favorable comparison to an F150 in an unlikely crash scenario.

-Joel.

as much as I am in the mood to argue, I will let the original test speak for itself...the pics above are from a frontal offset impact...MINI is safer...so there :P  :P  :P

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=168

and here it the ford one...
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=7

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 05:28:39 PM »
All I have to say is "OUCH!!"

Restraints/dummy kinematics Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. The airbag deployed too late, and there was too much rearward and far too much upward steering wheel movement, which contributed to the dummy's head bottoming out the airbag and hitting the steering wheel. The driver seat was tilted so far forward that the dummy's head was confined to a narrow space between the steering wheel and head restraint during much of the crash.

Injury measures Measures taken from the chest indicate low risk of injuries to this body region in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head and neck indicate that injuries to the neck would be likely and injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be possible.

Major collapse of the occupant compartment left little survival space for the driver. Larger photo
Both doors partially opened on the driver side. Arrow indicates where rear door was latched to roof rail before crash. Larger photo
Massive intrusion and pitching forward of the driver seat wedged the dummy into a tight space during the crash. Larger photo

8O  8O  8O
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 06:27:34 PM »
Yikes.  It is good that the Mini fares so well in the offset front impact.  As for comparing it to an F150,  I do not think pickups are generally all that safe?  I suppose mass is on their side and you gotta figure hitting a smaller car with a 4500lb truck will be easier on the occupants than hitting a wall.  The object car would turn into cush space for the F150.

I have not made much of a study of car saftey but from my experience:

Mass is your friend, a 2500lb car is generally a lot less safe than a 3500lb car.

Side impacts (left turners, red-light runners) are the main area of concern.  This often happens at an angle as people react before the crash.  Having good side-impact beams and side/thorax airbags should really help.  Mass also helps a lot in this scenario, as a lighter car will accelerate more (more abrupt change in direction and higher post-crash speed in the new direction) whipping the occupant's heads and necks.

Rearend collisions are also pretty common.  Mass and rear crush space are really the only protection here.  

I was rearended by a 4 door Volvo (240?) while stopped in a 3600lb Mustang GT and my passenger and I both had a lot of neck soreness, even with headrests properly adjusted.  I expect in a 30% lighter car there would be a good bit more acceleration on the bodies involved.  The Volvo was actually a great car to be hit by, as it collapsed up to the firewall (by design.)  Had we been hit by a similar sized FWD car or minivan we might have been hurt more.  The RWD Volvo was designed to drop the engine/trans and use the engine compartment as crush space in a crash.

The Mini might be a very safe 2500lb car but it's still a 2500lb car.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l