Author Topic: i learned the hardway...  (Read 1803 times)

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
i learned the hardway...
« on: October 08, 2003, 03:15:08 AM »
the 60-40 bias on quattro vehicles is 40%front/60% rear= slight oversteer under extreme conditions
here is how...

ok sunday i was helping my new roomate move in, and was barrowing my dads truck when i realized (at 4:00pm) i forgot that i had a group project meeting (@5pm) in pueblo to finalize the project for presentation and turn in 9am mon. morn.

so i hurry up to return my dads truck to him and pick up my A4 i asked my dad the fastest way to pueblo from his house (23 miles east of coloradosprings) he said take this dirt road to this one all the way there

so there i am hualing major ass (70mph) down these straight dirt (read:dust!) roads

i come up to this slight hill and the next thing i know my tach hit redline instantly=----->RALLYE jump!!!! 8O (think my stock shocks are dead now :lol: coilovers are arrive on thursday )

scared shitless i decided to slow down a bit to 60-65mph, when i see my turn coming up in less than 200yards......i feather the brake and take the turn pretty fast and just like i would in a FWD car (thinking the front were the main drive wheels)
ONE WORD------->OVERSTEER!!!!! 8)

WELL so there i was going SIDEWAYS down the dirt road...not a prob, easy fix with a lot of gas mixed with very slight left foot braking and after some slight fish tailing action all was good and i made it to my group meeting safe and sound with no damage to "frau schnecke" (my car)!!

needless to say the honda autoXer is out----> my next project is a prostock rallye car!!!! :twisted:
keep on the lookout for older audi 80/90 quattros!
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
i learned the hardway...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 12:44:54 PM »
Glad you kept her rubber side down.  I had a similar experiance in a 1995 while driving a Subaru Legacy Wagon.  I would like so say my adventure ended with the same successful outcome... but it did not. :oops:

Twice over and new pair of underwear later all was good - well except for the car. :wink:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Rocky Mountain Club B5

i learned the hardway...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 12:44:54 PM »

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
i learned the hardway...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 08:23:01 PM »
sigh....slow down Mike!  

:wink: ~W

kt037

• Modded
i learned the hardway...
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 12:42:41 AM »
Quote from: "Wendy Darling"
sigh....slow down Mike!  

:wink: ~W

yes ma'am! :oops: LOL
OT DISH?-----> nope!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
i learned the hardway...
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 11:00:38 PM »
Hehe, I have had a few situations like that.  Once I even had to do some countersteering in my FWD Scirocco.  Try that!

Dirt sure is fun but you do have to be more careful...Glad it turned out okay for you.  Can't wait to see your Fraulein!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kt037

• Modded
i learned the hardway...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 02:21:59 AM »
yeah
my honda is so lightweight in the rear that she acctually has oversteer on asphalt..... esspecially once the rear inside tire lifts off the ground....
so i know exactly what you mean :lol:
OT DISH?-----> nope!