Author Topic: Woe to the lowly O2 sensor  (Read 1722 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Woe to the lowly O2 sensor
« on: December 28, 2005, 02:35:59 PM »
This year has been the year of bad luck with O2 sensors.  So far I have replaced the pre-cat O2 sensor on the Passat, the post-cat O2 sensor twice.  I do understand that around 60,000 miles, they should be replaced, but wow!  Now as of yesterday I get a engine light on the GTI and after VAG-COM'n it, I find out it looks like my pre-cat O2 sensor may be heading south.  Thank goodness that it is still under warranty, I am at 36,000+ miles and the warranty is good until 40,000.  I have an appointment with Mountain States to look into it tomorrow morning.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 03:17:08 PM »
Mental note, don't let Dave drive your VW as the O2 sensor may mysteriously "go bad."  Just teasing Dave, that sucks, you have become the O2 Sensor master against your will!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 03:17:08 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:16:29 PM »
When I dropped off the GTI this morning, I spoke with the service guy and mentioned the issue with the GTI and the issues with the Passat.  He suggested with the number of O2 sensor problems between the cars that I may have either squirrel or rabbit problems.  They may be chewing through the wires.  Living next to Marston Lake, we have hundreds of rabbits and the damage could be understandably caused by them.  He said that all they need to do is chew through a couple of wires and have them arc, that would show up as a burn and could mask some of the chew marks.

Now, if that be the case, anybody know of a sure fire (humane) way to deter the rabbits and keep me and my cars happy?

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 01:28:48 PM »
Sorry to hear about the issues there Dave.  I had the same problems on my Passat also.  What a mess.

As for the rabbits, there really is no humane way to do anything about it.  BB guns work wonders though, and if its underpowered, it shouldnt hurt too bad.

RobD

• Modded
Re: Woe to the lowly O2 sensor
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 11:36:50 AM »
Well Dave as of yesterday I joined the " those damn vermits chewed through my O2 wire" club.  Not a very fun club either.  It looks like something chewed through my post cat O2 sensor and of course it's the harder one to get to!

Dave did you replace it yourself?  If so any advise you might offer?  What about anything to protect the cables from being chewed again.  A steel braided enclosure like on break lines?

As for humane way to deal with it.....at a cost of 160 to 170 for the sensor I don't feel too humane! :twisted:

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 01:14:54 PM »
Ouch, Sorry to hear that.  I did replace it myself and it was not fun.  But it can be done.  Let me know if you would like some help.  I am trying to find a post that I wote up either on CB5 or here that helps.

dubitup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 01:16:55 PM »
That Marston Lake is a bad area,  I work real close to there.  A co-woker has had her Passats O2 sensors repalce due to rabbit/rodents twice in 3 weeks, gotta get something to cover the wires as protection.
I've seen rabbit climbing into the engine bay of a few cars here, one had fur all over the top of the engine cover, but the way, all of these cars in our parking lot have been european