Author Topic: Canadian models not offered in the U.S.  (Read 883 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Canadian models not offered in the U.S.
« on: January 02, 2006, 01:45:06 AM »
I have spent a little over a week in Toronto for the holidays and heading back to Denver tomorrow.  I've seen quite a few cars that we don't get south of the border.  Here are a few:

Smart fortwo:

They look much lower here in Toronto than what I remember when I first saw them in Europe (they were almost SUV height) -- probably to reduce rollovers.  They make a great city car due to their size, economy and efficiency, however it's 40hp 0.8L engine would be scary on highways (and amongst assholic SUV drivers).  Unfortuneately the more versatile forfour (four door hatchback), and the Elise-like sporty roadster-coupé are not available here.  According to the smart website, a Canadian cross country trip would cost only $268 in gas money in a fortwo (and gas is much more expensive in Canada).
The fortwo coupé starts at an incredible $16,700 CAN and the fortwo cabriolet starts at still reasonable $19,700 CAN (to give you an idea, a Jetta starts at $25,000 CAN).  The plastic body panels are easily interchangable, so you could customize your ride or even do your own repairs inexpensively.

Mercedes B-class:

Seeing this car in person is pretty bizarre and makes you wonder why it was even produced in the first place (it started selling in Canada since last September).  At first I thought it was a unusually well modded Aveo, but to my shock I saw the Mercedes badges.  Built on a stretched (Europe- and Asia-only) A-class, it looks like what a crude A3 Allroad would look like.  The bulbous hood, front fenders and headlights makes it look like the front of a London black cab.  I would have much preferred the more stylish and sleek-looking A-class, as the B-class doesn't look like a Mercedes at all and looks more like one of the many popular tall four door econobox hatchbacks (such as the Chevy/Suzuki/Geo Aveo/Aerio).  From what I've read in the newspaper, despite being a budget Mercedes (starting at $30,000 CAN which is $3,000 cheaper than the A3) if you pile on the options and the must have turbo engine (the base engine has a weak 134hp and the turbo 193hp) the price skyrockets to a princely $58,000 CAN (almost doubling in price, and matching the price of a V6 C350 sedan).

Acura CSX:

Canada always had a Civic-based entry model which is exclusive to Canada, which sold extremely well.  The CSX (which was renamed from the previous EL) starts at just $25,000 CAN and fully decked out including leather, Navi and voice-activated controls will ring in at $35,000 CAN.  From the side it is almost identical to the new Civic sedan (I like the sleek new wedge profile).  The front and rear has been redesigned to be more Acura like, which looks upscale and sporty (which looks really cool with the .  The interior has one of the most beautiful steering wheels out there, with silver contoured inserts, aggresive sporty elliptical shape, F1 shift paddles, and various buttons that are well integrated into the spokes.  It also has the cool dual level instrument panel as on the Civic.
I kind of wished they bumped up the performance (155hp and 139 lb/ft) to better itself from the Civic, but it's the same output as the base RSX.

Toyota Echo:

In Canada we get the 2- and 4-door hatchback version of the strange Echo.  It looks much smaller, but better proportioned than the tallish Echo sedan we get here.  This model is the previous Toyota Yaris generation that's available in Europe -- interesting enough the current European Yaris is already available in Canada and will be available in the U.S. later in 2006.
Toyota Yaris:

It's nice to see small efficient cars and hatchbacks coming back.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:07:00 AM »
The Smart Roadster is also kinda cool, I have seen them in Europe.  The Yaris, I have had two of them as rental cars in Ireland.  Loads of fun but not exactly fast.  Flat out on the motorway I saw about 90 mph, after holding the throttle WFO for several minutes.  It's a perfectly useable little car though and great fun in the twisty rural roads.  3 cyl variable valve timing engine.

The Yaris is living proof that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:07:00 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 10:39:59 AM »
Darn, you're talking about cars...
'03 A4 1.8TQM