Author Topic: Help: Turbo timer installed... now the A4 won't start  (Read 1390 times)

Nickle

• n00balicious
Help: Turbo timer installed... now the A4 won't start
« on: January 11, 2006, 03:06:05 PM »
I had posted this on Audi World, but figured RMCB5 and Edition 719 are good choices just incase anyone wants to swing by to take a look and get some beer.

The Car:
2000 A4 1.8T Quattro Manual

The Story:
I installed a Blitz DTT turbo timer last night.  I used the two links below for guidance.  Once the wires were attached as outlined in the writeups, I reconnect the battery, and turned the ignition on.  The TT came on just as it should.  However, when I attempted to start the car, it just cranks and will not fire.  I double checked all my wiring and fuses relating to the install.  It all checked out.  Since then, I have reversed the install to about 90% stock, but the problem continues.  I am new to the German car world, and would like some insight from those of you with more experience.  If any of you are local and have interest in swinging by, I will provide beer and… pizza or something for your time.  Let me know if you have any suggestions at all.

Thank you,
Nick
(719) 339-2918

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec98.shtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2263846.phtml

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Help: Turbo timer installed... now the A4 won't start
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »
Damn Nick, that doesn't sound like any fun. :)

I wish I could be of more help, I have never installed a TT. There are a few folks on here who have, so hopefully they will chime in and maybe have a good answer for you.

Good luck, hope it gets resolved soon!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »
It is possible that the wire to the ignition is not connected to the correct wire.  If that is the case, the car will not start.

What happens if you turn the TT off?

Also, do not keep trying to start the car, otherwise you might roast the starter in the car.

Keep us posted.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Nickle

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:40:02 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled";p="40400"
It is possible that the wire to the ignition is not connected to the correct wire.  If that is the case, the car will not start.

I returned the car to stock and hooked everything back up as it is intended to be.  It started right up.  The culprit turned out to be the connection between the cut wire from the #6 fuse location to the 75x terminal.  With everything else stock, and that one connection bridged, the car will not start... even if the 5A #6 fuse is not present.  Go figure.

What happens if you turn the TT off?

No change

Also, do not keep trying to start the car, otherwise you might roast the starter in the car.

Beat ya to it.  I have been very careful of doing just that.

I once submerged my Jeep in a stream crossing.  I ended up filling each cylinder and the intake manifold up to the throttle body.  It happened to be one of the rare times I did not have a second vehicle with me.  I pulled the spark plugs and turned the engine over in short cycles until the water in the cylinders was out.  I had to do a lot of other draining and drying, but three and a half hours later I was driving the thing back into town.  I picked up a new starter the next day.  ;)

I'll keep you guys posted.  I'm just stoked that I haven't friend anything... yet.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 01:56:35 AM »
Glad to see that you have figured out the issue.  I just hope that you can get it worked out.

A TT is good insurance.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Nickle

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 12:25:24 PM »
It's alive and kicking.  Everything is in its place and working as it should be.  It turned out it was a user error... my fault.  I’m super embarrassed to admit what the problem was because it makes me sound pretty dumb.  However, in my defense, it was a small error that I'm sure people with more wiring experience then myself have made.

In the online tech article, it says cut the wire from fuse #6 and bridge it to 75x.  It describes the #6 wire as a black wire with blue stripe.  Well, as it turns out, #7 is also a black wire with a blue stripe.  I cut and bridged to #7, not #6.  The #6 wire was hidden in the rest of the loom, so my first instinct was that #7 was the wire I was looking for.   :oops:   :lol:

So... thank you all for the help.  Sorry for being such a moron.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 01:33:32 PM »
Honest mistake, glad you were able to figure it out.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 02:01:22 PM »
With all the wires on a car, at the fuse box, it is a VERY easy mistake to make.

Enjoy the added protection!
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065