Author Topic: Weird Brake issue. Ideas?  (Read 2766 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Weird Brake issue. Ideas?
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
Last night on the way home i went to apply the brakes so i could slow down to take a left hand turn accross traffic. There were a few cars coming so i thought i would just stop and wait. But, when i applied the brakes the brake pedal got firm like usual but the car was not slowing down. I ended up hitting the gas and pulling thru the intersection almost hitting the oncoming car but i had no choice. Luckily i had down shifted to 2nd gear so that had shaved some speed off, but it was a really scary feeling.

The brakes feel fine this morning and felt fine after the incident. i wasn't abusing the brakes last night. I had only applied them at 2 stoplights prior over a 3-4 miles span.  It didn't feel like brake fade and the pedal didn't go to the floor. What could cause this? Could it just be air in the lines? The brakes were bled (dealership service @ Prestige) about 4k miles ago and new pads were also installed at that time.

Any ideas?

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Re: Weird Brake issue. Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »
Whoa! (no pun intended). that is not a good thing to have happen. I am not a brake guru by any means but...

Did the brakes work okay after that? Was it just the one time? I am wondering baout air in the lines as well but that wold lead me to believe that it would keep happening. Other than that I wonder if it's something to do with the ABS system. I know that on my previous Passat I had that happen to me. Took it McDonald and they checked it out. They found that it was a fault ABS module (covered by warranty) Mine happened "once" but I wasn't about to chance it, I had it towed.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:59:02 PM »
it worked completly normal after. i applied the brakes 10 seconds later and the car slowed down fine. It was like a 1 time thing. I am just not sure what could cause it.

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
That's realy weird Eric... hence the name of your post. I have no idea but if it was air in the lines wouldn't that cause ti to happen on a more frequent basis? Maybe Randy or Mark may have an idea on this...
Just a thought, but I take it you checked your fluid level. Was it down by chance?
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 01:26:53 PM »
piston jam? bubble in the brake line? or some module error like Al suggested?

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 01:44:34 PM »
i really need to buy  a lap top so i can isntall the vagcom software so i can check for fault codes.  It felt fine this morning.  I am going to check the brake lines tonight for bubbles. And the resivor volume looks ok.

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 02:05:16 PM »
What you are described sounds to me like a mechanical impediment to activating the brakes.  A simple explanation might be a tennis ball or a piece of fruit under the brake pedal.  Too simple, too stupid?  Perhaps there is a mechanical issue with the brake pedal/lever itself.  Just a thought --- look for a simple explanation.  How about an issue with grease or other lubricant (even water) on the pads?

As for low fluid or air in the lines, I think this is very unlikely given your description of the problem.  Low fluid or air pockets create a soft and slow response to braking.  Usually air pockets require more foot travel on the pedal, but you normally can still brake unless there is very little fluid.  And ABS issues usually are accompanied by pulsing or other obvious signs like indicators on the dash....

If I were you, after looking for the obvious, I'd take the car to an empty parking lot and give the brakes a workout, and see if you notice other issues or indicators of the problem....

Mike aka Lila

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 04:33:24 PM »
mike -  i am going to check everything over tongiht and see if anything looks out of the norm.

Randy/Mark -  any ideas?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
I agree with Lila.  I doubt it's a air bubble issue.  The pedal likely wouldn't feel firm, and it would likely be a reoccurring issue after driving hard.  None of those are what you're describing.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:34:29 PM »
I'd recommend a visual inspection of the caliper piston and the rotors, as well as just generally looking around for irregularities.  Good luck.

Lila

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 06:44:09 PM »
thanks for everyones input. I guess i am pulling the wheels and checking out my brakes tonight. I will check out the lines for damage, check the rotors for scoring or iregulaities and make sure the calipers are solid and make sure they look ok.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 07:17:03 PM »
Eric, that is really weird.

The fact that they didn't feel soft makes me think there was something in the way (blocked line, stuck piston, etc)

BTW, you looking for vag com?   :lol:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2432050
Life's too short to be taken seriously

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 07:20:13 PM »
I am going to jump on the bandwagon, and agree with Al and Mike.

The fact that it was a one time thing is frustrating, because you can not replicate the issue, to check various things.

Keep us posted.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065