Author Topic: She's now gauged and boosted!...  (Read 1942 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
She's now gauged and boosted!...
« on: February 18, 2006, 09:34:48 PM »
The 337 is now at the next level, APR tuned!  A special thanks to Sarah in working with me to make a great deal on her chip.  I am very sorry to hear that her 337 is going to leave us, but I understand.  I also want to thank JR for the VDO boost gauge; it was installed about 2 weeks ago on my steering column and has been working great.  I mated it to the New Performance steering column pod and bought the 42DD Perfect Match LED kit, which does match the OEM gauges perfectly.  

Before I was chipped, I was peaking about 11-12 psi and on the way home today on C-470, I was able to hit 20-21psi (don't tell the wife, but I was up to 115MPH on HW-285 just after the 470 interchange).  I know that the ECU and engine will have to get to know each other over the next few days.  When I have a chance and I am not so dang cold, I will take some pics of the gauge.  

Sarah, JR you guys ROCK!!! 8) Thanks!!! :D
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: She's now gauged and boosted!...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 09:38:23 PM »
Sweet Dave! I can only imagine the perma-grin on your face.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 09:38:23 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 09:52:52 PM »
nice.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 10:32:39 PM »
Dave congratulations on the new found power!  Add the GHL 2.5 cat back and things should be even nicer!

I ind that my APR will spike in the 20 PSI range but holds a solid 18-19PSI under strong boost.  Yes it induces a smile on my face too Jay!

Dave I would like to see a pic of the 42dd led.  I did not do that on my autometer and think that will be changed out soon.

Congrats again!

Rob

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 01:01:32 AM »
Cool.  Since I just did all my suspension, I'll probably have to wait to do any motor mods.

Have fun with the new power.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 01:11:51 AM »
very nice....looking forward to seeing pics!!!

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 02:43:32 AM »
Hehehehehe..APR....hehehehehe  :twisted:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 03:50:36 AM »
Quote from: "RobD";p="42069"
Dave I would like to see a pic of the 42dd led.  I did not do that on my autometer and think that will be changed out soon.

Congrats again!

Rob

Rob, I might have another bulb...in both my guages I had the 42dd led blue...it wasn't the "perfect" match, but perfect enough that I couldn't tell. I gave one to Randy, the other one either went with Dave (which I think is the case) or I still have it.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 11:24:35 AM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="42082"
Quote from: "RobD";p="42069"
Dave I would like to see a pic of the 42dd led. I did not do that on my autometer and think that will be changed out soon.

Congrats again!

Rob

Rob, I might have another bulb...in both my guages I had the 42dd led blue...it wasn't the "perfect" match, but perfect enough that I couldn't tell. I gave one to Randy, the other one either went with Dave (which I think is the case) or I still have it.

I have it, Rob. The standard 42dd LED blue sounds like it works better with other models of VW's. Here is the text from 42DD web site FAQ page on the Perfect Match LED:

What's the difference between the "Perfect Match" LED and standard blue LED?
Our standard blue LED does a great job of lighting a VDO or SW gauge blue. However, the match to the mk4 instrument cluster is not exact. Simply put, our "perfect match" LED offers a brighter, exact match.

What makes the match so much better?
The stock VW mk4 instrument cluster uses 430 nm LEDs to backlight the body of the instruments. Our units use six or nine 3mm 430 nm LEDs to light the gauge. Standard blue LEDs use one 470 nm LED.

Oh and by the way when Sarah and I were at the dealership getting the ECU swapped out and the keys mated again, I went into the showroom and saw a tornado red MkV GTI and fell in love. It is gorgeous! Though the model was an automatic, it still just begged to be taken out for a "fast" spin (yes, I heard the voice!). There was also a black magic Jetta GLI and it was pretty sweet looking. It had all leather and the GPS unit, but again was automatic, go figure. :roll:

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 02:03:43 PM »
It is sad how hard it can be to find a manual.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »
On Sunday when I was trying to figure out the program modes, I embarrassingly found the valet mode....right when I was passing a mini-van. I was worried that I was going to be taken down by mini-van. Ugh!! :oops:

So far it looks like the modes are as follows:
1 stock
2 valet
3 91 octane
4 100 octane (not sure since I have not used 100 octane).
I am trying to find out from Sara and her friend whom she bought the chip from, exactly what the modes are.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5";p="42135"

I am trying to find out from Sara and her friend whom she bought the chip from, exactly what the modes are.

you can call apr with the apr serial number and find out. It is a 4-5 digit number that sara should have been assigned.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 06:10:20 PM »
She did not know at the time that I asked her.  She is checking with her friend who initially bought the chip new and will get back to me.