Author Topic: Spring is around the corner. Whats next on your mod list?  (Read 7336 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Spring is around the corner. Whats next on your mod list?
« on: February 22, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »
Since spring isn't too far away.. What's up next on your mod list?

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Re: Spring is around the corner. Whats next on your mod list
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »
I really want to do a test pipe and exhaust. However, nothing aviailable for my car... yet. I am maybe thinking custom.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »
I am trying to decide on getting chipped or a couple of golf clubs that I need to round out my set... and since I enjoy both my car and golf, it is a tough decision!
wo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »
Well on my list are springs, tint, wheels/tires and maybe a chip. I would expect the tint and springs in the coming month or so. Wheels and tires are always an issue with me, primarily because I hate paying for them and need to find the best deal. :)  As for a chip...well I still need to drive Al's B6 and go crazy.

wagongotya

• Stock
Spring is around the corner. Whats next on your mod list?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:09:16 PM »
getting my car track ready...BBK, oil cooler, and installing my suspension (finally!)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 01:14:42 PM »
I don't really have any mods, but will be doing a lot of work on the car.
In the next couple weeks I'll be replacing all shocks, a driveline seal, fuel injector o-rings and a rear sway bar bushing.
In another three months I'll put on the car's fourth timing belt, as soon I will be at 180K miles.
I'll be getting new summer rubber in a couple months, probably the new Kumhos or Avons.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:23:42 PM »
Wow 180k! Go Pat!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »
I agree, you should be able to do the timing belt in your sleep.  :D   The times I have seen your car, you would not have known it had that mileage.

As for anything on either car, I have nothing planned.  Just make sure that they are both happy and running.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 01:45:10 PM »
Hmm...tint on the Jetta and sliders on the X. Other than that, just making sure they running strong and happy  :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 01:46:55 PM »
Since my suspension is about 90% done I guess I should get some new wheels to replace the 15" steelies w/ snows I have now.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 01:53:27 PM »
stupid house mods are keeping me from doing anything to the car outside of regular maintenance. It feels neglected, but i talk to it nice and give it a pat on the dash every now and then.

Next time I get around to doing something it will most likely be HID. Either that or chip, once I determine my current state of chippedness.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 02:05:41 PM »
Here's my list (mostly maintanence and repair stuff):

- Going to do the Auto-Rx engine oil cleanse (V6 don't have the sludge problem as 1.8T do, but my oil looks a bit cruddy).
- Replace the engine breather tube (Passats up to MY2002 all have a poorly designed tubes which could become clogged and brittle).
- Replace my cabin air filter (I discovered that the NB charcoal filter fits for my B5.5 and it's half the price of aftermarket charcoal activated filters).
- I'm in the process of adding a Hella Supertone Horn in addition to my PIAA Sports Horn.  It's a mod I discovered on one of the WRX forums where many are mounting it behind the main grille. It produces 118dB of distinctive sound that any cell talking SUV driver would notice.  The location of the stock horn doesn't direct the sound too effectively.
- I would like to get rid of the extremely heavy and somewhat restrictive suitcase resonator of my exhaust and replace it with a stainless steel pack with a Magnaflow muffler.  It will produce a rich deep sound that's not loud or obnoxious.
- Replace my cracked and heavily pitted windshield.
- Paint my rearview mirror black so that it's not so noticable from the outside.
- Replace my glovebox door (my handle broke off).
- Replace my broken trunk light with a couple cold white cathode tubes (I might even do the same thing to my glovebox).
- A little engine bay dressup, possibly painting my engine cover.

Luckily I found out that the timing belt for V6's don't need to be changed until around 75,000 miles, so I'm relieved that I don't have to do this time consuming and costly job anytime soon.
I'm sure there will be more stuff to add to my list.

speaking of spring time mods -- we should plan for a garage day soon!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »
20% tint on the Civic....then a 6 foot privacy fence, trenched sprinkler system, preped soil, sod, rock, planters, veggie garden, etc.

No car mods for quite some time.  Basically detailing and keeping them running.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 02:37:38 PM »
Quote from: "hotani";p="42203"
stupid house mods are keeping me from doing anything to the car outside of regular maintenance. .

- I know what you mean with the house mods. We are going shopping for a frontload washer. WEEEEEee. Our old one still works fine (1yr old) so if someone wants it, it might be for sale soon.

- Other than that i need to get my ABt body kit painted, pending i can find a good deal on the paint work. I went to SVE and the estimate was thru the roof so i need to go to APEX and get a quote from them. Hopefully it will be more affordable.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

-Order my new Dell laptop yesterday so now i will have my Vag Com setup.

-Other than that the car is just getting some Stoptechs and i think that might be it for this year. The checkbook is looked more empty than i thought it would.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 02:44:17 PM »
Not to stray, I love my front load washer...damn it is awesome, so efficient and cost effective! Well worht the money, of course I have a hook up so mine was dirt cheap, but nevertheless if I had to pay full price I would have.

BTW, make sure it is a frigidaire!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 02:53:05 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="42210"
Not to stray, I love my front load washer...damn it is awesome, so efficient and cost effective! Well worht the money, of course I have a hook up so mine was dirt cheap, but nevertheless if I had to pay full price I would have.

why did you choose the frigidere vs the kenmore, maytag, or GE? They are all about the same price ~$1k.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 02:53:19 PM »
we got maytag stuff, and could not be happier.  You can barely hear our dishwasher...

Had GE before, worked ok, but was loud, my sister has a new GE dishwasher, that thing is not worth a penny, does not clean at all, and the noise from it is so loud, you really have to turn up the TV to hear over it.  

Fridigaire makes awesome stuff...but that was not an option from our builder, the offered GE, Maytag, and Kitchenaide.  We went Maytag.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 02:57:46 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T";p="42214"
Quote from: "gietl";p="42210"

why did you choose the frigidere vs the kenmore, maytag, or GE? They are all about the same price ~$1k.

My Dad works for Frigidaire ;) I paid quite a bit less than that, but like I said, if I had to I would have paid full price.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 03:01:13 PM »
For me....

CAR:
Stoptech in the front, repaint the front of the car and have the sides and rear painted to match, Timing belt #2 (end of summer)

SHOP:
Paint shop floor, new Air tools, and maybe a 2nd lift

HOUSE:
New grass in the back yead, clean the garage and install a kegerator!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 03:24:27 PM »
oh man don't get me started on washers....

First off, I have one sitting in the garage from my old place. Second, I have one *slightly better* in the house but it is making some crazy-ass noises. While washing, it goes BANGA BANGA BANGA BANGA BANGA! It works, but I have to be in really good spirits to use it, otherwise i'll start grabbing for anything long and sharp with which to stab myself in the ears.

So yeah, an eventual upgrade to a front-loader is sounding *really* nice right now. I've heard one at my friend's house - or rather *didn't* hear it. Ahhh, would be so nice. :)

Actually my last cash dump went to the home ent/computer center in my living room. I'm getting rid of 1 27" TV and 2 17" monitors to be replaced by 1 37" TV/computer monitor. :D

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 03:29:22 PM »
I want to see pics of that home theater set up when you get it going!!!!1

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 03:41:01 PM »
oh there will be pics! I'll have plenty of before and after shots.

Ordered the monitor last night, as well as the mounting bracket to stick it on the wall. My usb/RF remote should be here in the next couple of days. Only thing left for this stage of the project is speakers. :D

In the end, it will just be the computer and monitor. All media content being served up by MediaCentral.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 03:56:36 PM »
Front loaders rock!
This the second front loader I've owned and I will never turn back.  Very efficient and quiet -- I remember the first time I used it, I just sat there with a beer watching my clothes tumble.

Jon: after seeing your Civic, I could see the front grill easily removed for a cleaner and sleeker look.  Total debadging with the rear tailights slightly tinted would look really nice too.

As for house mods:
- finish building my fireplace mantle (it's still sitting in storage since November).
- Balcony: landscape my two large galvanized cow feeding troughs turned planters with some cool solar powered lighting.  I'm also making an outdoor illuminated coffee table out of a couple large flower pots I was about to throw away.  I may do some outdoor speakers if I could snag one on eBay for cheap.
- and some ginormous artwork for wall above my staircase.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 03:59:07 PM »
Charles, does the washer have a balanced load? Ours goes BANGA BANGA BANGA when my wife decides to stuff it full with all the jeans on one side. Then I have to come and balance it out once it hits the spin cycle :roll:

I've got a Bosch stainless innards dishwasher...it's amazing...gets things super clean and doesn't make a peep. :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 04:08:19 PM »
yeah it's pretty consistent - i even got out the level and checked the washer; it's truer than a calm lake but still knocks with every load.

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 04:10:17 PM »
Frigidaire makes the Kenmore washers. I love my front loading Kenmore washer and dryer. I built a countertop above them so that space is actually usable. Makes for a great folding table, ironing board, etc...

Back to the mods!

I'm replacing the high mount brake light with the newer LED version. The W5W bulbs are temperamental because they don't sit very securely in the holder.

Iím installing the Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth hands free kit.

The hunt for new wheels continues, since the S4 replicas are a bit on the heavy side and I badly damaged one a few months back.

That's all I can think of, for now.
mad wagon

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 04:21:19 PM »
good to have you back madigan. What ahev you been doing?

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 04:23:53 PM »
For me:

-Install the remaining suspension parts I have on my garage floor
-StopTech BBK in April
-Carbon Fiber hood
-Racing seat
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 04:34:42 PM »
lets see:

House Mods -
     Finish Landscaping
           1) 4"-6" river rock in the ditch in front of the house (30'x210')
           2) mulch on the berms in front of the house
           3)  everstone (http://everstonefloors.com/) covering for the back patio (20'X40')
     Finish basement

Car -
           1) New Tires needed before spring
           2) Chip (once I secure wife's approval)
           3) Cayenne Turbo 6 piston rotors/calipers when the current set up wears out
           4) exhaust/downpipes (eventually)
           5) DSMIC (also eventually)

ouch, this is going to be an expensive summer
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

dubitup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 04:35:51 PM »
Car Modz:

New S4 front bumper w/ RS4 grills & center bar delete on all 3 lower grills
Lower FMIC
Short Shifter
New rubber...amybe some wheels
Tints
not a mod, but I have to shampoo the A4 interior BAD!
and...if I can swing it....a stereo system