Author Topic: Newest mod? Why the 4th and 5th brake light mod, of course!  (Read 8775 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Newest mod? Why the 4th and 5th brake light mod, of course!
« on: October 27, 2003, 01:54:18 AM »
I love this mod.  Thanks to Alan (Velo) and Mark (Madigan) for making this one happen for me.  This is the cheapest mod I have done that I can remember, but I sure do like the extra warning that people behind me get.

I can say that no one has rear ended me since doing this mod.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Jess

• n00balicious
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 05:22:20 PM »
Winston- Do you have the part numbers for the factory wire taps used in the tail light assembly? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks!
99 B5 1.8TM Colorado Red with a mod or two.
aka CRD99

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 05:22:20 PM »

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 05:57:49 PM »
Quote from: "Jess"
Winston- Do you have the part numbers for the factory wire taps used in the tail light assembly? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks!

Hey Jess,

We used crimp on "quick disconnects" from Radio Shack to wire up the extra brake light. They look like this:

They come in all different sizes but you'll want the ones that are about 1/8". I had a few 1/4" left over that I gave to Winston. They work fine too, but the 1/8" fit a bit better IMO.

Mark
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 11:01:07 PM »
Definitely!  Jesse, if you want, I can take a picture of my tail wiring.  I have the rear fog too, so it involved wiring in a diode to prevent the flow of electricity in the wrong direction...

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Newest mod? Why the 4th and 5th brake light mod, of cou
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 01:46:05 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
I can say that no one has rear ended me since doing this mod.

Haha! Your tails are so dark you need 5million candlepower brake lights for people to see 'em!

I want to do that mod, is all the existing wiring there and what bulbs do I have to buy?
Oh yeah, and when I do it, the tails are going to get tinted too
Tanks...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
Re: Newest mod? Why the 4th and 5th brake light mod, of cou
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 03:01:09 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
I want to do that mod, is all the existing wiring there and what bulbs do I have to buy?
Oh yeah, and when I do it, the tails are going to get tinted too
Tanks...

JR,

This is the easiest mod, next to the euro switch. Just pick up a few crimp-on "quick disconnects" from Radio Shack - they are $1.69. Get the smaller ones that are 1/8" wide for 16-18 gauge wire. Next, pick up two 1156 bulbs. Also, I think you'll have to enlarge the hole for the bulb on the inside of the tail lamp, but I'm not sure because I didn't have to on my variant but I know others who have had to on their sedans, so Alan or Winston can answer that for you. Maybe we can have a mini GTG in the next couple of weeks, before winter really gets here. I have some wire and extra bulbs too, if interested.
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 11:39:11 PM »
Yep, we should definitely do this and make it a RMCB5 initiation ritual.  Mine is integrated with the rear fog (requires the Euroswitch, but they are $30 on CB5), so I had to use Boris' wiring diagram and add a diode to get it to work properly.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 04:42:59 AM »
I'd like to get the rear fog mod done; get my TT DV in and have someone with a Vagcom set my tip for "sport mode".  But I have a lot of stuff to get done around the house in the near future so I'm not sure when i can make the next gTG.

Rob

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 04:45:26 AM »
The extra brake lights and rear fog are must do's...

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 01:36:17 AM »
Bring It!

Let's see upcoming mods:
tinted tails
brake lights
dashboard sock stuffing  :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Jess

• n00balicious
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 02:35:46 AM »
Oh yeah that's exactly what I want to do. Please please do tell!

I would love to have the rear fog and four brake light mods! I already wired up the indicator in the dash. That project wasn't really difficult at all and it looks pretty cool.
aka CRD99

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 01:04:34 PM »
Quote from: "Jess"
Oh yeah that's exactly what I want to do. Please please do tell!

I would love to have the rear fog and four brake light mods! I already wired up the indicator in the dash. That project wasn't really difficult at all and it looks pretty cool.

Doh!  Jess, I'll take pics of the process if you give me the process for the in dash indicator!  I saw it on CB5, but it wasn't very clear.

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 02:58:59 PM »
I would like to wire up the fog icon in the dash too. Jess, if you could give us some guidance that would be great! Thanks.
mad wagon

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 03:04:41 PM »
I get the extra bulbs and the crimp on connectors, but where is the power for these new bulbs coming from? The existing brake light wiring? And if you are just adding another set of bulbs at the end of each wire, aren't you diminishing the amount of power available at each bulb, thus making them slightly dimmer? Just wondering out loud here. I want to fully understand this one guys.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 03:15:56 PM »
Hey Chas, it's pretty straight forward.  Alan helped me do it a couple of weeks ago when we had the last garage day at Jon's.  You basically bridge a wire from one bulb to another.  

If you have the rear fog added, it ecomes a little more difficult, but still not too bad.  You do the same thing but add a diode to the side you have the rear fog on when you bridge it.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2003, 03:17:43 PM »
That's what I thought you guys were doing. Maybe I'll take a look at it today.

Thanks!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2003, 03:21:46 PM »
We should try to wire up the fog icon on the euroswitch too.

http://www.vwmkiv.com/euroled.htm

The above link was taken from the link below.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60880
mad wagon

Jess

• n00balicious
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 05:01:36 AM »
Mark that looks pretty cool changing the color inside the Euroswitch. Perhaps making it light up amber like the indicator in the dash would be cool.

Making the indicator in the dash work isn't difficult at all, especially if you've taken out the cluster before. I found it easiest to remove the cluster rather than trying to disconnect the harness from the back of the cluster. All you do is basically unplug the harness from the driver's side of the cluster (there's another behind the passenger's side) and add a wire to the harness connector. The wire is then connected to the Euroswitch rear fog terminal. The wire needs to be about 22 AWG to fit in the harness.

I did all this while I had the cluster out for the boost gauge installation. I'll be pulling the cluster again next week so I'll try to get some photos or at least better description of the procedure.

Kind of weird that I didn't know how to hook up the rear fog light but I had the cluster indicator connected  :? .

So I was looking at the cluster bulb holder thing and I see the empty connector spots as well as the empty spot in the harness connector. Which terminal did you hook up the rear fog power wire to?

From Winston's description I basically need to install a diode in the power wire for the rear fog?
aka CRD99

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 12:20:48 PM »
Hey Jess,

The second link from Mark's post actually has a link to pictures of where this connector inserts into the Euro headlight switch.

Check out the first link [rear fog light] in that post.  For some reason, the picture host is preventing me from posting the image or I would do that.

You can buy the connector from VW.  The part number is 000-979-126 although the picture shows 000-979-129

I would think the dash indicator would be more difficult since it requires taking out the cluster.[/img]

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2003, 06:07:00 PM »
Chas, to answer your question about whether the extra brake light mod would diminish the intensity of the brake lights.  It doesn't look like it diminishes it at all.  I don't know anything about how much voltage, wattage or current or whatever is going to the bulbs, but they look just as bright.  

In fact, the extra brake lights (or rear fogs) actually have a silver reflective coating inside the plastic housing, causing them to be a little bit brighter than the normal brake lights.  So if anything, you'll end up with a brighter brake light output.

This was one of the first mods I did within a week of getting my car and I still think it's a very worthwhile mod to make.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2003, 09:07:23 PM »
OK here is what I have picked up so far.  I still need the bulbs and the VW part.

1. Female Quick Disconnects for 22-18 gauge- 6pk #65-3058
2. Epoxy Rectifier Diodes 3 amps. 400PIV- 2 pk. #276-1144
3. 14 Gauge wire- 20'

I was also looking at the LED addition to the Euro-switch, but the only size they had in blue was 5mm and 3.7 volts.  Too big and to much power required.  I need to find one around 1.8~2.4 volts and 3mm.  Anyone know where to find one?

I do not have a Euro-switch at the moment, but I am in the process of ordering one via CB5 and should have it about this time next week.  So I hope to witness the install of that and to also do the wire work up to the switch this weekend.

I may do the  brake lights before Saturday just to save on a bit of time.  It looks like I will have Megan with me on Saturday.  So, you guys will get to meet part of my family.  Someday you will get to meet Carla.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 02:46:18 AM »
Brake lights done.  However, I did not use the Sylvania 1156 bulbs that were later noticed in one of the threads.  I used the bulbs that were listed in one of Marks links.  It was model 7506 (P21W).  Both are single filament.  Should I have chosen the 1156?  Is there any differance?  Both lights come on when the brake pedal is pressed.  Will it affect the fog light mod?  Questions, questions??? 8O
TIA for any info.

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 03:03:38 AM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
Brake lights done.  However, I did not use the Sylvania 1156 bulbs that were later noticed in one of the threads.  I used the bulbs that were listed in one of Marks links.  It was model 7506 (P21W).  Both are single filament.  Should I have chosen the 1156?  Is there any differance?  Both lights come on when the brake pedal is pressed.  Will it affect the fog light mod?  Questions, questions??? 8O
TIA for any info.

Dave, I'm pretty sure 1156 bulbs and 7506 bulbs are the same bulb. They just market the 7506's for "european" vehicles.
mad wagon

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 03:19:07 AM »
I would have to say that sounds logical.  The package does state "European lamps".

Jess

• n00balicious
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2003, 06:30:36 PM »
OK I picked up a bunch of wiring stuff today. We'll see if I blow anything up  8O . I'm removing my cluster today for a little modding. I'll post up the info on the dash indicator and the instructions for removing the cluster.

I actually ran all the wire for the rear fog when I had the cluster out of my car a while back. The wiring is all there I just need to hook it up and buy the bulbs.

-Jess
aka CRD99

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2003, 12:20:13 AM »
My Mod kicks A**! Tisha loved it and the tint job I did made her flip (happily)

Both of those are a good thing considering the um, well, altercation I had on Saturday. Sorry I busted out of there so quick...a medical condition reared it's head that I was unaware of until I got home...but it's all good :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2003, 01:00:23 PM »
Awesome JR, I'm glad you dug it.  Did you do the extra brake light mods too?  There was so much going on, I didn't know if you did, and then you took off.  

I hope everything is okay!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2003, 02:11:25 PM »
I did do the brake light mod, it's awesome!
Everything is okay, I want to stop my in the next couple of weeks and you can snap some pics of my ride, for my folder mainly or the Garage day folder...like I said, sorry I rushed off, couldn't be helped though. :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Jess

• n00balicious
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2003, 12:51:11 AM »
Winston-

Did you guys just solder the diode in the wire coming from the euroswitch? I bought a 12V diode so that should work. I'm just curious how you put it in the wire.

Thanks!
aka CRD99

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2003, 02:16:00 AM »
Jess, I just ran it from the two quick connects in the taillight assembly with an inline connector.

Easier than I thought!