Author Topic: Freak dumpster encounter!!!  (Read 4448 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Freak dumpster encounter!!!
« on: November 16, 2005, 01:30:27 AM »
You wouldn't believed what has happened to my car now!

A freaking dumpster slammed into the side of my car!!!  8O  
Last evening I was leaving work to go to a lecture at CU and to my shock there was a dumpster pressed against the driver's side of my car at the Union Station lot in front of Rodizio's.  It was very windy that evening but I can't imagine such a heavy dumpster travelling across the parking lot and into my car!  (it travelled about 100 feet)

I quickly called the trash company that was on dumpster and I was greeted by some clueless broad who took forever trying to find a manager.  I was already late for the lecture and left my name and number.  Luckily I had my camera with me and took photos of the scene.  I had to carefully push the dumpster out of the way as it was leaning against the doors (it took Manya and I both to pull it off my car).  As soon as I got home I called my insurance company who took down all of the details and information.

The damage didn't look that serious.  The fenders and molding took most of the damage from the impact with scrapes to the paint and a few shallow dents.  The side view mirrors and door handles had abrasions to the chrome finish (which has to be replaced), and the side moldings and the rear bumper edge were scraped too.  I'm glad the wheels and major panels were not damaged.  It looked like it must have hit my car twice as the scrapes and scratches almost covered most of that side, but the mirror remained intact (but scraped).

After leaving a couple more messages with the trash company I finally got a call back from the manager today.  He sounded like a total prick as he expressed no sympathy and would not admit any guilt.  He told me that these things happen all the time and it was probably an act of god or vandalism.  He gave me the typical "we will look into it" bullshit.

Luckily my insurance claims rep was really good, she thoroughly examined my car and noticed more very minor damages which I didn't notice or didn't think much of.  She will also be contacting the trash company to explain the situation and try to get them to settle on the damages.  Unfortunately if they will not cooperate than I will most likely will have to settle in court as the damages is estimated to be $1850 -- my deductible is $1000, but I don't think that is important in this case since I was not at fault.

Today the dumpster was moved back to where it was before and a noticable pile of rocks and gravel was laid under the dumpster that day probably to prevent it from rolling again.  The dumpster shouldn't have been placed where it was/is as the lot has a noticable slope and the dumper's wheels had no braking nor barriers around it either.

Here's some pics:

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 01:37:26 AM »
That is just horrible.   I just can't believe that happened... I'm sorry for you Alan.  LMK if I can help with anything.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 01:37:26 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 02:14:48 AM »
Wow, that is insane. Sorry to hear, but it looks like everything will get taken care of. Hope the trash guys pull through and pony up.

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 02:24:52 AM »
Are you parting out?  Dibs on the wheels  :D  :lol:
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 03:02:47 AM »
Quote from: "PasSoup"
Are you parting out?  Dibs on the wheels  :D  :lol:

freaking vultures!!

dibs on the dumpster.... I am gonna make that sucker a stage 3!

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 04:14:21 AM »
Sweet dumpster mod!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 10:31:54 AM »
Ouch  :(   I am sorry to hear about that.  I always cringe a bit whenever I park anywhere.  I always try to park out in the middle of nowhere, but that is not always easy.  I hope the trash company steps up.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 01:18:56 PM »
Alan, that's awful.  hopefully everything will get repaired and back to normal soon.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 01:58:42 PM »
Alan. That really sux bad. I can believe, however, that the trash company is going to shrug it off. They are usually that way.
They should hold responsibility though. Even if it was some kids pushing it around for shits and giggles and happened to slam it into your car it is STILL the trash comanies responsibility! They should have had locking wheels or SOMETHING to prevent that.

Let me know if you want me to help you go and find that manager. Let's see if we can give him the same type of damage that your car sustained. What a prick.

Alan ( the other Canuck)
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 04:10:38 PM »
dude -  you have to watch out for those attacking dumpsters. That is crazy, hopefully you get it fixed soon.

Cliffjumper

• n00balicious
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 12:02:47 AM »
Well, that's one way to add more cargo space.  Have you talked to Central (they manage the lot).  I ask because the parking company is usually responsible for the care of the lot. So they may have some responsibility in this.  It's possible you'll have the same problems with them that you did with the garbage company, but it's something I'd look into.

P.S. My friend used to do valet in that lot.  Didn't heve have a car hit by a dumpster.  Though he did manage to take off my license plate braket with rear three-quarter panel of a chrysler.
id you remember your towel?

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 02:17:02 AM »
Central Parking has a policy (like any parking lots) where they are not responsible for any damages to personal property.  The row of parking against the Ice House (the loft building) and Rodizio's is not owned by Central Parking, so they are least likely to go after.

I doubt that it was some pranksters who pushed the dumpster as the parking lot is highly visible from Union Station, a number of restaurants (Rodizio's and Wynkoop Brewpub), offices (including mine), and a number of loft apartments looking down on it (pretty much from all directions).

The HOA of the Ice House could be responsible if the property where the dumpster is normally stored is theirs and the dumpster serves that building -- being the vice president of my own HOA, these are the kind of things we really have to be aware of.  Imagine if that dumpster hit someone, that is one huge liability that the HOA would have to be responsible of.

I just received another call from my insurance company and they had to revise the repair estimate to almost $2,000 now.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 02:36:36 AM »
Wow Alan, I know how well you take care of your car, so this is a big deal.  I felt the same way when my roof got dented.  As long as the shop you take it to does a good job, you will get that positive vibe again.

I can personally recommend Euro-Collision down on Colorado and E470.  They fixed a rear-end on Jen's Saab before we sold it and did great work.  They aren't the cheapest, but they are good.

If it is something that you change your mind on, there are always other good cars out there.  How about a convertible TT?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 02:54:40 AM »
I don't think I'll be getting a new car anytime soon -- funny, I just got a call from Mtn. States today saying that they just got 4 V6 B6's in which I'm curious to test drive one, but a sticker price of $40,000 for a nicely loaded one is definately way too expensive.

I still love my car, it still gets attention, and most importantly it's totally paid off.

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 03:43:23 AM »
I am very sorry to hear of the horrible things happening to your baby.  I am however interested in parking where you did and allowing the silly metal can the opportunity to hit my baby.  I am thinking new front end... paint job.... ummmm
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 05:03:44 PM »
Wow Alan, that is seriously bad luck!  I certainly hope everything works out well for you on this one, and I am glad to hear that no major damage was caused.  Who are you using for the autobody work?  I highly reccomend talking with Butch at SVE.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 10:11:03 PM »
It looks like the manager of Waste Connections is not cooperating.  He hasn't been returning mine nor my insurance claims rep's messages.

I think I may need a lawyer to collect my damages.  Any suggestions on a good lawyer?

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2005, 10:31:04 PM »
I am sorry to hear this is being so much trouble.  Knowing what it felt like to have any kind of damage to my car in the past, I can only empathize with you.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 09:18:26 PM »
Dang, Alan, that really sucks.  Hope it all gets taken care of.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Re: Freak dumpster encounter!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 06:23:23 PM »
so I'm still dealing with this B.S.

A manager at Waste Connections is failing to return my calls and the calls by my insurance company.  I talked to my own property management company to get some advice and she said that Waste Connections is the company to go after, but I should also call the property management company of where the dumpster is servicing just to let them know of the situation.  I would need to pay my deductable to get my insurance seborgation department to start going after the waste company for the damages.
Taking them to court would be a pain since the damages are less than $5000 which means I would have to take it to small claims court.  A lawyer would cost the same amount of my deductable which is not really woth it, but it would be nice to get some help.

I'm planning on sending a detailed regestered letter to the owner and manager of Waste Connections, and cc'ing to Ice House Lofts' property management and and my own insurance company (and possibly the insurance company of the waste company), describing the negligence of the Waste Company and the resolution I am seeking.  Eventhough I really want Waste Connections to pay for my entire damages for ethical reasons, I'm willing to accept them to pay for my deductable as it seems like they will be difficult to deal with.

Other than that I don't know what else I can do.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 07:07:50 PM »
Are they registered with the P.U.C?  You might try filing a complaint with them.  They may do something if their license to operate is in jeopardy.  You may also want to consider the BBB, although I'm not sure that they are appropriate for this issue, but it never hurts to ask.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
Small Claims is a great way to settle these sorts of things.  Filing is pretty easy and reasonably inexpensive.  You also will probably want to pay to serve them or have a disinterested party (one of us?) do it.  The Sheriff does it for $40 or so.  You will need to find out who at that company gets served the papers, I think they have to register some person in that role.

One thing you might check into is if your photos are admissable.  My cop friend told me that digital photos were not admissable due to the ease of editing them.  He said an exception to this rule were cameras that wrote directly to CD media.  He told us this to account for why he had a camera that wrote to CD media (we thought it was unusual in these modern times.)  This was a couple of years ago, so the law may have changed.

It sure seems like a win to me as long as they own, service and maintain that dumpster in that location _and_ it is not disputed that the dumpster rolled away and was not put into play by vandals.  It looks like they how how to prevent that from happening (see gravel) so it is a typical problem they address regularly.

Worth a shot IMO.  Even if you lose there is some satisfaction in serving them and making them show up to court.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 03:19:51 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

The property manager of the Ice House was kind enough to help me in guiding me to the right person at Waste Management -- the idiots there have been giving me the runaround and I have been trying to contact the wrong manager there.  According to the property manager, the person I should be talking to is supposed to be very nice and cooperative, so I'm hoping I don't need to go to court to collect.
I have sent an e-mail to P.U.C. of Colorado to see if someone there could help me better expedite some kind of resolution.

I could always take film photos of the lot with it's sloping pavement and other information to support my case, as well as photos of the damage taken by my Progressive rep.  I could always get the printed digital pics verified by a notary of public if I need to.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 09:36:57 PM »
Well hopefully you can get it all fixed, and get to the right person.  Pretty weird how it just rolled down the slope and decided to collide with your car.

I have the same "luck" sometimes.  Not fun.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 03:17:32 PM »
Update 03.02.06:
I took my car to Apex last month to finally fix damage from the dumpster.  While it was there I had them refinish my scratched up and rock pitted bumpers and also getting the unpainted lowers painted.  Overall I'm really happy on how it turned out -- Randy, the owner at Apex was awesome to deal with.
I was warned about the painting of the lowers interms of durability and the texture of the plastic will make the paint look a little different than the body.  The painted lowers is a very nice change, unfortunately because the plastic is quite old and slightly deformed, the silver paint showed off many of the imperfections of the plastic surface.  I'm still happy as it's definately an improvement from before.

I got a surprise call this morning from Progressive saying that their seborgation department received my 8 page report I sent to my claims adjustor, documenting the accident, the parking lot and dumpster itself, as well as every single contact I had with the waste company and other people I've contacted relating to it.  He said that I should be getting back my $1,000 deductible (fingers crossed), which I was surprised because insurance companies don't usually resolve legal issues if the other party refuses to pay especially if I don't have a strong case, which I was clearly warned by my adjustor after the accident.

Last month I also filed a complaint to the BBB on the waste company, citing that their operations of their dumpsters was improper and unsafe, and their handling of the matter was unprofessional.  I asked proper resolution to include compensation of my dedutible and my insurance damage payment, as well as a written apology for the time, stress, and expense I had to experience from their negligence.  I doubt I will get an apology, but it was worth a shot and something to piss them off a bit.

It has been 4 months since the accident I'm hoping all of this was worth the wait.

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 03:21:58 PM »
I hope everything turns out in your favor... sounds hopefull though!! :D
wo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 05:52:55 PM »
Alan, what is the word with your car BTW?
Life's too short to be taken seriously

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 06:16:26 PM »
I've been driving it everyday since it has been out of the shop 3 weeks ago.
I'll be at Randy's GTG at APS.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »
I saw the car the day of my move....looks amazing.  I only wish I saw it with his new 18" rims on it.  I noticed the dimples in the lowers, not that bad, but overall, the car is SMOKIN' HOT!!!!  One of my all time favorite B5.5's now, hands down.