Author Topic: New Gallery Software is live!  (Read 2697 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
New Gallery Software is live!
« on: February 28, 2006, 08:48:50 PM »
I hope to have a testable version of the updated Gallery sometime this evening. If not then by Thursday evening.

I will basically have it so you can navigate through, and hopefully have the album ownerships updated for member albums.

I hope to leave most of the usefulness in place for the albums. This new version is database driven so no more banning on highlights and so forth.

I am looking at enabling quotas and potentially restricting usage unless you have x number of posts (meaning not able to add images). Quotas can be tricky because I don't want GTG, or Evnt albums to count against a users quota.

One fo the things I plan to do is backup, and remove albums of folks that most likely aren't going to be gracing us with their presence anymore. Nothing bad, but having stale albums that sit around for a few years without a visit is a pretty good indication that you have no intention of being a part of the community and therefore don't need to use the disk space or bandwidth. :) You can feel confident that if you are a part of this community your albums wont be going anywhere.

Hotlinking is going to be restricted except for select sites. If you have a site that you believe needs to be included in the white list please post and I'll let you know if it gets added or not. For instance, allowable sites will be places like vortex, edition719, passatworld, audiworld and sites of that nature. Things that wont be allowed, everything else. :)

The reason for the above, bandwidth theft and abuse of the Gallery. This site is really a community, but one centered around cars and the members. I wont be policing the albums per se, but as always, objectionable material will be removed without notice and if it occurs too often Gallery priveleges would be lost.

Really, every one here is very good, any time we have run into issue they have been resolved quickly and don't occur again. So don't fear this huge lockdown and constant watching of the albums. The Gallery here is a privledge and is something that will continue to be offered to our members. It's really just about rational thought, consideration for other members and things like that.

So anyway, you will see a menu item in the left Nav named Gallery Test, once it is enabled it will take you to the new software. The old Gallery will stay in place until I know this thing is good to go and I am able to get everyone's access up to snuff and all that jazz. It should be faster and easier to use.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: New Gallery Software to test
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 01:16:30 PM »
So has anyone played with it?

One thing to note, and it sucks, but the drop menu for managing the albums is at the bottom of the page now. I am going to submit some feedback to the developers that putting it there is stupid. :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 01:16:30 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:38:22 PM »
heven't played with it yet other than to notice the random pic looked a little different on the home page.

I'll try to take a look by this evening.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 04:32:17 PM »
Ok, I think the intrgration is all done. All albums have been moved over, nothing should have been lost. It is possible if anyone had a movie in their album there may be issues, but we'll see. The old Gallery is still there, I am going to finish backing up everything from it and then remove it from the server to save space.

It will be acessible by the same methods as the old Gallery. Top and left navs.

I will continue working on a redirect for anyone that has things pointing to the old gallery.

Thanks for your patience through this process.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Re: New Gallery Software is live!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 04:45:04 PM »
Can we set a highlight photo now?  I'm a little leery...
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »
i'm a little leary to even visit the gallery.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 05:21:50 PM »
Yes, I mentioned that above, it is all good. No more banning. :)

The old version used a flat file type database as a wat to store information so it required a lot of data to be sent around. The security software would catch it and ban you. Hey it's better than letting ppl hack the site ;)

The new version is all database driven, should be much faster and much more functional. There are a few things I need to turn off, like the shopping cart and things like that. For the most part it should work just fine.

If you have any difficultes let me know.  Like I said int he original post, everyone here is a good user, I don't forsee any issues with it. If it is in a post, and something happens that is negative I can alwasy point back here.

I will get the quota thing worked out, but right now it isn't a priority.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 06:27:21 PM »
jay - that sounds good to me even know i did not understand a word you said about flat database with upsidedown file drawers. you guys are just to PC techie for me.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 07:27:02 PM »
:roflmao:
OMG! Eric you crack me up!!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 07:28:04 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T";p="42694"
jay - that sounds good to me even know i did not understand a word you said about flat database with upsidedown file drawers. you guys are just to PC techie for me.

Just so long as we're not too PC for you :wink:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 07:53:11 PM »
i'm not PC.. so non-pc is good. :)