Author Topic: Cupholder Install - Feb 26  (Read 1343 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Cupholder Install - Feb 26
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:37:14 PM »
So as long as I continue on this path to recovery I think I will be well enough to undertake the install on Sunday. I know a number of you are going to the auto-x tomorrow and I want to come out, but I need to get my Scout running so I can pick up some furniture with it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in helping out on Sunday let me know. I will most likely just need to get your numbers if you want to help so I can call you Sunday morning and let you know if it is go or no go.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Cupholder Install - Feb 26
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:52:58 PM »
I did this today, very cool, but I don't think I ever want to do this install again!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:52:58 PM »

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 08:48:42 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="42478"
I did this today, very cool, but I don't think I ever want to do this install again!

How did it go Jay? How much disassembling did you have to do?
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »
It was a chore...If I had to do it again, it would go much faster. Two people would make quick work of it.

In the end, I caused some very minor damage to a cosmetic portion of the interior. I also ended up with 4 scrws left over...OOPS!

Well 2 were intentional, the other two, I can't even think of where they go. I have no rattles though.

I mean it is a worth install, already tested out the new cupholders with a stop at good times earlier. So much better, no drink tippping over. It also looks a lot better with the car. A bit more class if you will. ;)

The thread in the B6 forum on vortex is what I used to do it, there were two others doing it this morening. We all had little hangups here and there.

One frustration was that the scrws holding in the old cupholder had proctically stripped heads. So byt he time I was done with them theyy were stripped. They didn't get tightened down all the way, but there is no movement or vibration coming from the cupholder (as far as I can tell).

Some folks complained of airbag fault lights when diconnecting the cable from the passneger airba indicator. I plugged mine back in before turning the car on so i got no fault.

So, $50 for the euro cupholder, about 3 hours worth of work. It was worth it, just wish I would have not cause this tiny little damage, it will drive me crazy.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 09:42:59 PM »
nice job man. do you have a pic of the old vs. new?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 10:02:37 PM »
Well I didn;t take any pics of mine, but here is the stock:

The new, of course mine si black since I have a black interior

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 01:19:49 AM »
Jay, any day wrenching is a good one.  sounds like it will make the car much more functional for you.

since some screws were involved, you could always go about bragging that you spent 3 hours screwing in the car today.   :oops:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 04:11:31 AM »
Very nice jay, it looks alot better. I was going to say that I won't be able to come by due to my Running the Register tomorrow so I'd be dead. However, since you did it already...NICE!
I remember installing a couple things on my car and causing that super small, only-noticable-to-me cosmetic damage that forever more drove me nuts.  :roll:  :oops:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner