Author Topic: My unexpectant garage day  (Read 1588 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
My unexpectant garage day
« on: March 12, 2006, 04:06:33 AM »
Got up early today and couldn't go back to sleep.
So after I walked Yuki and made myself a killer omlette, I decided to work on my car.

I replaced my PCV breather tube. On V6's the breather tube (which allows excess air from the motor oil to release instead of building up under the cylinders) tends to build up with sludge and become brittle, so a new tube needs to be replaced as early as 50k miles depending on driving conditions.  Since this needs to be done with the engine cool, I decided to tackle this first.  Since the original part was so brittle and fragile, I ripped the old parts out in a few pieces as the tube runs around the engine 3/4 the way around and there's not much room to work with in certain spots.  Installing the new and improved breather tube was a snap.

I replaced my filthy bug- and leaf-clogged air cabin filter with a charcoal activated one.  An OEM B5.5 charcoal filter would've costed $40-45, but I learned that the Mayle charcoal one made for the NB is a perfect fit and only costed me $17.  I ove how the air through my vents is now crisp and clean smelling.

It was still early so I decided to install my grounding wire kit.  It was a bit of a challenge since I couldn't find any information on how to install it for a V6 I decided to go for it and try to mount it to some of the key parts in the engine bay (I referred to a 1.8T and VR6 installations).  I had to drill a hole in the firewall to install the distributing grounding plate and I connected the heavy guage wires to the drivers and passenger  fender panels, and both sides of the engine cover points.  I have two more extra wires, which should connect to the transmission case and the ABS module.  I'll install the remaining wires later as I ran out of nuts and screws.

So I had spent all morning doing all this stuff, and I decided to install the additional Hella Supertones horns which have sitting around (I discovered this mod which was pretty popular for WRX owners). These horns are 118 dB destinctive sounding horns which would definately give any cell phone talking SUV drivers notice on the highway.  I really need louder horns as I almost got hit by SUV and truck drivers a couple times who were totally oblivious to anything around them.  
I tried to install them on the center grill support like I've seen on the WRX forum sites (an optimal location in producing the loudest sound), but I found out that there is not enough space to put the grille back on.  So I had to zip tie the horns to the outer sides of the grille -- the horns could be seen through the grille, but I had painted the red horn cage a matte black so they are not so noticeable.  I simply spliced additional wires with the OEM horn wiring.
Because the sound is directional the increased loudness it not that noticable from behind the wheel, but I did notice a new destinctive tone to my horn (I still have my PIAA sports horn which replaced my OEM ones).

I have a few more mods ordered after discovering some things that needs replacing.  I ordered a Isotta two tone steering wheel cover (in black and silver fiber) after seeing major scrapes of the leather finish on my steering wheel.  I also ordered new low resistance spark plug wires after seeing the casing of my OEM wires coming apart.  I also ordered a set of Beru Ultra X spark plugs, these are OEM manugacturers' version of the four prong spark plugs similar to the Bosch +4, but I've heard it has less problems than the Bosch which seem to be more of a problem for 1.8T engines than V6's.

I'm pretty happy with my very productive unexpectant garage day, now I'm tired and taking it easy with a couple movies and some nice wine.  8)
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: My unexpectant garage day
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 05:50:03 AM »
Wow, nice work Alan. A nice busy day for you!

I just modded my office and Renee's office with new white outlets and switches. Pretty hardcore stuff. ;)

It's amazing what a difference a clean cabin filter makes huh!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 05:50:03 AM »

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 03:17:27 PM »
Alan,

Where did you get the PCV valve and what other parts did you install.  I probably need to do that to my V6 given I have 63K on it.  I also have some Hella horns (Tour de France sounding) that I want to install.  I was thinking of mounting the the 3 behind the bumper cover.

Scott

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 11:52:10 PM »
this thread on Passat World is a good reference:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191705

The website listed on that thread no longer carries that part but I bought mine from their affiliated parts site: http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/isamerica/quote.jsp?header=http://www.mypartscatalog.com/header.txt&footer=http://www.mypartscatalog.com/footer.txt&product=078103224R&partner=isamerica&baseurl=http://www.mypartscatalog.com/&clientid=mypartscatalog&cookieid=1QN0GICA51QN0GIEE2
the only part you will need is a small hose clamp to replace the one you will need to break open to get the old hose out.

I installed my horns behind the grille so that it could throw the most sound.  I got my inspiration from a popular WRX mod:

Mounting horns behind the bumper cover could get tricky, as you need to weld an attachment point on the bumper bar.  I've seen it done on Passat World with the Hella air powered trumpet horns as they are too big to install elsewhere in the front of the engine bay.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 04:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the website.  I just ordered mine today.  I love these forums.  I would have never know to replace this until I had an issue.  An ounce of preventative maintenance is worth a ton of problem free days down the road.

Scott