Author Topic: Wiring problem and testing....  (Read 1098 times)

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Wiring problem and testing....
« on: March 18, 2006, 02:44:26 PM »
I was just curious if anyone knows of a way to test our wiring and see if there are any shorts.  I am pretty sure I might know what is causing my problem and just wanted to know if there were any other ways of testing.  The lights for power window buttons, climate control, defrost, dimmer switch are all out.  periodically.  I think the short is in my dimmer switch wire.  Again, I am not sure.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Re: Wiring problem and testing....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:35:58 AM »
Maybe I should say lights not working and how to fix in my subject heading....  Anyone?  I do remember pulling most of my fuses to check if any were bad and they were not.  I tried to look through my manual and on the cheat sheet guide, but did not find one that indicated this particular group of lights..  Please help.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:35:58 AM »

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:41:10 PM »
The only thing I could offer as a suggestion would be to pull a couple of lights and test them individually.  You could also pull the dimmer switch and test it.  Check resistance across the leads of the dimmer switch.  There should be some resistance change as the dial is moved.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 12:53:17 PM »
Are you saying those lights are flickering?  Or just out sometimes?  Are you blowing fuses?  If you are not blowing fuses and the lights are not working some of the time, you don't have a short, you have an open circuit.

If you installed a head unit I'd pull it and check the backlight wiring that you might have messed up while installing the stereo.  Also if the head unit's backlight was connected to that circuit that might be where this is all coming from.

If you can get to the circuit when the lighting is not working: find the wires, check for power, check for ground, see which is missing.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 03:06:59 PM »
Good call Jfrahm.  No blown fuses.  Sometimes the lights are on, sometimes not.  Checking the wiring on the head unit is a great idea.  I also need to check the dimmer switch.  Thanks for the input guys.