Author Topic: Front license plate...on or off?  (Read 1974 times)

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Front license plate...on or off?
« on: October 30, 2003, 09:36:23 PM »
I've lived in Colorado most of my life, with the exception of a few years here and there, and it never struck me to not have my front license plate on my car. Does anyone have any problems with the law not having them on? I've seen quite a few VW owners that opt not to have them on, but I need a general consensus to decide if this ok or not.
Look officer, I really do own it......

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 09:39:41 PM »
All I can say is do not be in Denver county or at least downtown.  I had a Olds Cutlass Ciera that the front plate fell off when I bumped a high curb and I got a ticket when I parked downtown.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 09:39:41 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 09:58:49 PM »
City and County of Denver is the only place you'll get any trouble.  Namely, if you park downtown, most likely you will get a ticket for it.  Though i will admit in recent months I have not had a problem.

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 09:59:20 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
All I can say is do not be in Denver county or at least downtown.

Well, unless you park in a garage all the time. 8)  I live in Capitol Hill and work near Coors Field.  I've had my car just over a year and have yet to put the front plate on.  I keep it in the trunk though so if I do get pulled over and the cop asks about it I'll try to make him believe I just haven't had time to stop by Ace Hardware and find the right size screws.  Dunno if that will work, but I haven't gotten a ticket yet (knock on wood).
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 10:04:41 PM »
I've heard two sides to his license plate business.

The first is you need a front plate. The second is...

As of this summer, the State was trying to cut costs and producing fewer license plates, in turn giving out one plate instead of two, but yet you would still pay the regular prices for tags. :?

I personally do not have a front plate and like the look much better.
mad wagon

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 10:23:32 PM »
Take it OFF Baby!! I've had mine off for almost a year and half so far and no problems. Before that there was a German license plate up front. Now that got me some unwanted attention from Johnny Law in Denver only. Everywhere else it was cool.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 10:38:46 PM »
Last Thursday we took Sammy to the hospital to get tubes in his ears.  We drove the eurovan over and parked on the street.  The van had no front plate and we got a $30.00 ticket.  I plan on going down to appeal the fine just to see if they will waive it.  So I finally got the plate adaptor to mount the license to the front of the van.  I have to admit i like it better without the plate but I'm tired of the Denver revenue collection system.  Bowing down to "the man"! :evil:

Rob

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 10:47:48 PM »
I haven't had my plate on since May.   Last year, I traded my car with a buddy to use his pickup and he got a warning in downtown Littleton, but no problems for me so far.

Mark, I heard about that proposal for just having one plate, but it was voted down.

Where I come from (Georgia) the DMV is ridiculous, but they do only have one plate and it's great.  You can put a german plate, antlers or even your momma on the front of your car and no one will look twice.

Well, maybe they will if you put your momma there, but you get the point.

It's not surprising that I am not a fan of the front plate, so it's off.  I haven't had any issues downtown either, but I stay off of the street parking.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 05:54:30 AM »
i had a german plate on my car and a cop made me remove it on the spot in the parking lot of 7-11 at 3am or he would give me a ticket.....and considering i was 3-sheets to the wind could barely stand or talk straight, the removal was not any easy task. (by all rights i should not have been driving and 1 good thing is i have been parinoid<sp?> ever since)

you can get a ticket for it but it is like $10-15 and i am sure you could fight it in court, say it was stolen
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!