Author Topic: Lowering a b5 With Stock Shocks  (Read 3354 times)

K-MART

• Stock
Lowering a b5 With Stock Shocks
« on: March 30, 2006, 04:10:19 AM »
What would happen? I wouldn't do this permanately, but just for a hypothetical i would like to know if anybody has tried this. i figure that it would ride like crap and probably
 bottom out easily. Anybody know?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Lowering a b5 With Stock Shocks
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:16:34 AM »
I ran on stock shocks with the Eibach Sport springs. These springs are the same as the VW Sport Springs. Keep in mind my car has like 20K miles on it when I did it and according to VW it was the appropriate application. I sold the car with about 39K miles and the shocks still seemed fine.

In the end, there are two sides to this tale. Yes, you can run on stock shocks, but they will go quickly with some of the more aggressive springs. It is also possible that the springs you get may not work witht he stock shocks. So the other side is, do the springs and shocks at the same time. Sure it's extra money but the front end on a B5 is a bear to do, and I know I would hate to have to do teh job twice myself or to pay to have it done twice.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:16:34 AM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 12:05:51 PM »
IMHO -  If you are going to spend the time to replace the springs, spend the money to replace the shocks. If you can't afford to do it at the same time then wait till you can.

Running springs that are not properly matched to the dampers is unsafe and dangerous. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Again that us just my opinion.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:50:29 PM »
it depends on which springs you go with.  If you go extreme increase in spring rate, the stock dampers will not be able to handle it, and you will get that "bouncy, bouncy" thing going.  As Eric stated, that is unsafe.

I have sport springs with stock dampers on my MINI right now, and it is not that bad.  I had Neuspeed Sport springs on my B5.5 with stock dampers, and it did fine as well.  but the spring rates that I put on were close to the stock application, no not much difference between damper requirements, for both cars.

I would recommend waiting until you can do shocks, might as well get a great set up to begin with, do it once, and leave it alone for thousands and thousands of enjoyable miles.  A matched system does much more for performance handling than just springs alone.

If you are just going for looks....then lower it...if you want looks an matched performance, then get shocks as well.

I agree with Eric, do it right the first time, or simply find lowering springs that match the spring rates of OEM springs....that way, your dampers will be matched to the system.  Like I said above, if you go with an aggressive increase in spring rate, then you MUST get dampers to match....otherwise, you have just made your car very unsafe....bouncy, bouncy means loss of traction and control.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:41:14 PM »
I ran Neuspeed Sports on b5.5 shocks...my car dropped alot! It rode better than my friends Bilstein/Neuspeed setup (so says him) and it handled beautifully. I had no complaints. But again, nothing beats a fully tuned and matched system. The plan was to convert to Bil's and tune it then I bored with the car and sold it  :roll:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

K-MART

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 02:34:35 PM »
Thanks guys, I was looking at a walkthrough of installing springs and shock that was posted here and I t seems like it would be a huge pain to take the front apart then take the front apart again to replace the worn shocks.  I was worried about having the money for the shocks, but I will just wait until I have enough cash.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:53:16 PM »
Yes, it is a pain.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:35:25 PM »
When I did the spring on my B5, it took me about 6.5 hours to do the fronts! This long period of time was mainly due to not having the right sized socket for the strut compressor for my air ratched! So i had to do it by hand.

The rears took like half an hour. :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 03:42:58 PM »
I've done it about four times...twice on my car and twice on other people's...it's a pain. But the 4-Mo is worse.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 04:15:42 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="44214"
When I did the spring on my B5, it took me about 6.5 hours to do the fronts!

;)  I just did Pat's front and rears, replacing all his Bil's...only took 3 hours total...and he has that goofy Quatro rear...almost as much of a pain as the 4motion on the passats.

With an experienced person, you can get the entire B5 done in about 3-4 hours.....

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 04:32:08 PM »
Just as long as you don;t have to crank down the spring by hand like I did...twice...

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 04:57:40 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="44223"
Just as long as you don;t have to crank down the spring by hand like I did...twice...

that would SUCK.....I love my impact wrench stuff...they are livesavers!!!!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 05:28:21 PM »
Me too, I just didn;t have the right size adapter for the socket so I had to use my wratchet set instead of my air tools. That has all been remedied now, but at 10pm that night it couldn't be remedied. :)

K-MART

• Stock
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 06:38:03 PM »
The Right tools make your life so much easier. We put a lift on my old ranger without a spring compressor and it took forever.

We already did one side and were almost done with the other when my friends dad came home he saw us wrestling with it and asked us why we didn't use his spring compressor that was hidden up on a shelf. D'oh!  :x