Author Topic: Your thoughts?  (Read 4753 times)

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
Your thoughts?
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:39:25 PM »
I am "contemplating doing this paint scheme on my B6 Passat. I am not in love with the big chrome grill (reminds me of Jaws from of James Bond).
The anthracite or gunmetal would be done in a bit of a flat or low sheen finish. This was a P-Chop from the tex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2491902
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
2006 B6 2.0T, APR, soon with new booties, coil-overs and Votex body kit
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - now my dogs SUV.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:52:37 PM »
I like it, but not the hood...just the grill.  Similar to the GTI....or GLI fronts.

"Jaws from James Bond".....LOL....that is totally what the front grill looks like :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:52:37 PM »

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 12:58:44 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo";p="44185"
I like it, but not the hood...just the grill.  Similar to the GTI....or GLI fronts.

I was thinking that too Jon. The hood may be too much of a good thing. I wish someone made a "Clear Bra" type of thing with a grey or gunmetal tint to it. It would add protection AND get rid of the Bling! It would make it easy to do the window trim and the side mouldings as well, to match the grill.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.
OLD SCHOOL, '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 with M22 Muncie. All stock, mods not required ;-)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 01:01:17 PM »
I am curious what it would look like to do the WHOLE CAR in that gunmetal color.   I think that would look sweet.

that or go the MTM S8 route, and chrome the whole car to match the front end.   8)

if you are just doing the bumper/grill I'd say skip.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:03:41 PM »
that woudl be cool, it would make it look like black chrome.

BTW...they do make that stuff, I have it on my side marker lights for the MINI, smoked clear bra stuff.

Give IDS Window Tint a call, maybe they can source some for you, they do amazing work...303-730-1019....they are on South Broadway near 470.  I don't think it is something they stock, but I am sure for a price, they can find anything...would be cheaper than painting, and would last longer....

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:04:32 PM »
and before anyone asks, yes you could chrome the rest of the car, even the plastic.  chech out what one guy did to his Hayabusa.   :idea: .

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 01:07:13 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="44189"
and before anyone asks, yes you could chrome the rest of the car, even the plastic.  chech out what one guy did to his Hayabusa.   :idea: .

HOLY BLING BATMAN! Can't imagine driving that on a sunny day. BLINDNESS!
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:08:32 PM »
^^^ Um, Wow!  No need for rear view mirrors there :lol:

Al, I agree with everyone here: do just the grill, unless you really are looking for something that will make everyone point at your car.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »
Quote from: "ianacole";p="44191"
unless you really are looking for something that will make everyone point at your car.

Are we talking a "point and laugh" or a cop pointing and saying... "pull that clownie pants over"!  8O
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
Al, I like the whole hood and top, but then, I'm a little more bling like that. The black chrome look is amazing.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »
i like the grille idea. But not the whole hood. I was just talking with Randy yesterday at APEX Autobody and he is adement about not painting over the plastic chrome. He claims it will chip really easy and will eventually peal.

Can you find a black replacement grill somewhere?

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 01:49:07 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="44189"

I have had a dream about doing this to a car.  Something lie a C5 Vette, something that has flowing curves and not too many hard angles.  Really stealthy.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T";p="44195"
i like the grille idea. But not the whole hood. I was just talking with Randy yesterday at APEX Autobody and he is adement about not painting over the plastic chrome. He claims it will chip really easy and will eventually peal.

Can you find a black replacement grill somewhere?

ABT did a nice touch on the MKV GTI hood. That's kind of what inspired me on this. However, my car is a Passat and not a GTI. I'm a bit torn between painting / color-masking the hood or not. I thas a nice touch and since my car is looking more and more like a sports car and not a family sedan... I dunno. Maybe it's time to pound a few Newcastles and flip a quarter!

Just as  anote, I was thinking of Gunmetal or Anthracite to match the wheels. However, I am also thinking of having the wheels powdercoated a matte black. then of course the grill / hood option would be the matte black. That may carry better with the lower black body panels and look more synonymous.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 02:20:33 PM »
Does ABt make a kit for your car? maybe we can all be running ABt kits. :)

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 02:36:57 PM »
In fact they have it development! It's a really nice front lip (similar to the GTI lip). I really like it actually. It's not ofr sale as of yet but their website says that it's in development. Charactre has a nice kit too I believe that is in the works. B&B already has theirs out, just don't like what they did with the front signal lights.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 03:47:46 PM »
Alan, what color is your B6?

There's an Euro OEM black chrome grille part but that's insanely expensive (about $800, I think), it's an option for the European Individual line.  You could easily paint it yourself if you sand the chrome finish off, put a quality primer and a few coats of paint.  It will look so much nicer in black, just like the Audi grilles and the GTI/GLI.

this is the H&R B6 (all the blacked out chrome looks aweseome on black):

here's the ABT B6 front lip:
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »
Hey Alan...

Yeah I checked that out! It is INSANEEEEEE!!!! 800 euro or something dumb. I did stop by a window tinting place today and there is a new 3M product. It's a tinted or smoked clear bra. Problem is all the intricate curves of the grill and the cutting required. It was not recommended. However, he did recommend his buddy that does vinyl graphics (plotter and laser cutter). He said that the software can map the grill and cut and exact UV protected vinyl sheet for the grill. That may be the best alternative as it could be easily replaced and it would protect from rock dings.

My car is reflex silver so I think the gunmetal type color may look good or the matte black.
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 08:28:58 PM »
Hey Al....get a line on the 3M stuff with the tint...if I can get a square yard of it, I would use it for some of my car stuff....

the vinyl will not really protect from rocks, it is actually pretty thin, and with that exposure on the front, it will not last long.  I have white vinyl stripes on the MINI, and they are all chipped up...One day, I am going to have the car repainted, and have the stripes painted in, then clear coated a million times for the super gloss finish.

Did you check with IDS Window Tint, they are pros at the complex curve stuff and I doubt the grill will be that hard for them, they wrapped the entire front bumper on the Subaru XT, which has a ton of complex curves...and not one bubble or dimple.  You should check them out, they do all the Ferrari stuff from the dealer.

givebloodplayhockey

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »
[Hey Al....get a line on the 3M stuff with the tint...if I can get a square yard of it, I would use it for some of my car stuff....]

No problem Jon. I'll call jimmy and see if he can hook me up.

Apparetnly there are two grades of Vinyl. There is an industrial type and the "normal" that people use on cars. He recommended the industrial stuff as it won't hcip. It's .008 thick so what the hell, may give it a shot! I will also get hold of IDS and see what they think! Thanks for the info Jon!
003 GTI VR6, Heavy mods.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 09:50:07 PM »
the current issue of Road & Track has a tuned 911 that is entirely covered in the 3M decal film.  The color is a bright teal green (almost identical to Gumby) which was a rare factory color that was offered in the 70's.  The color actually looks very nice -- the paint color underneith is black.  I'm guessing the decal was done just incase the new buyer is not to hot on the bright paint.
I couldn't imagine the labor involved in wallpapering an entire 911 in vinyl decal, the workmanship was impeccable, looks just like paint.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 09:57:05 PM »
They did something like this on HorsePowerTV once.  Vinyl wrapped a drag car they had finished building rather than getting a custom paint job.  It was pretty cool actually, and a lot cheaper.  They were able to lay out all the graphic elements on the computer, then print large vinyl sheets.

Here is the company that did it: A.P.E. Wraps
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 10:25:32 PM »
this is the Porsche I was talking about.
It's a 2006 RUF R Kompressor (the photos is a little more green than teal):

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 10:52:09 PM »
damn that looks nice.

Jon -  where is this ids place? i need to get my car clear bra'd.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 11:18:15 PM »
they are on South Broadway, near C-470

IDS...Integrity Dealer Systems
8071 s. Broadway
Littleton, 80122

303-730-1019

Tell them Jon Kessel or Jeremy Olive referred you, they will set you up.

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 07:30:12 AM »
You could paint a Ruf hot pink or even neon green and it would still be hot!

Its a Ruf life Brother!
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man