Author Topic: Get out your winter wheels...  (Read 6434 times)

madigan

• Modded
Get out your winter wheels...
« on: October 31, 2003, 01:42:29 PM »
When is everyone going to switch over to their winter wheels? This icey/snowy/rainy mix has me thinking I'm gonna slap my stocks on real soon...ugh!
mad wagon

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 02:00:10 PM »
did you see the front page of the site and the poll ;). We should do it in the next few weeks.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 02:00:10 PM »

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 02:21:34 PM »
Shows you how much I pay attention to the home page. :roll: That's twice I've missed important info...gosh!
mad wagon

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 09:46:55 PM »
ive had mine on for 3 weeks now!
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 03:45:47 AM »
Oh, you big wheeled SOB's are real rich. Fair weather wheel boys! HA! I don't ever get to worry about this issue. I always have my winter wheels on.  :roll:  :wink:  :cry:  :(  :(  :cry:

Oh well, time to get them skinny wheels and tires on. It's winter again!  :?
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 04:45:26 AM »
Yeah, I put mine on today.  Didn't want to take the chance sliding around.  So, back to winter tires too, which I hate...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 03:10:52 PM »
I need to get them done.  I think that I will have Big O' do it, just for the reason that they can then take the 18" and speed balance them.  I still have that wierd forward/back vibration at certain speeds.  Plus it is free and I live across the street.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

BlackA4

• n00balicious
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 10:39:15 PM »
I usually put mine on right before the first major snow. (The kind that makes the trucks lay sand and gravel on the road.)
I might have to put them on sooner because I might be going snowboardering soon...... :lol:  I ususlly watch the news to see if the snow is coming.
att

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 04:07:51 PM »
Well, I have my stock 15's on now. I don't really like how it looks...you know, going from a PLUS 4 application and all... :wink: I have to admit, though, that I am really enjoying the smooth and quiet ride! It's amazong how luxurious the Passat can be. :)
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 04:11:57 PM »
Hehe, I hate going to my 15's, but the ride is so much smoother.  Blizzaks don't handle for crap, so I do miss that.  Looks like I'll need to change soon too!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 04:28:57 PM »
I've already gained 1.5MPG average in 3 days!  I was really bummed losing that fuel economy, but it trades off I guess.

BlackA4

• n00balicious
Fuel Economy
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2003, 06:19:07 PM »
Are you saying you loss fuel economy with sportier tires and rims. That is hard to believe unless you ran a larger (taller) tire? A wider tire has more friction but not enough to make an affect.  The only thing I can think of is that you drive more aggressivly with better wheels and tires. In that case I would have to agree, my fuel economy will go up when I install my winters.
 :lol:
att

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2003, 06:25:31 PM »
Yeah, the wider tires (235 from 195 in my case) increase the drag coefficient and therefore the amount of energy requirements are increased to push the mass the same distance as before.  This results in slightly worse mileage.  I'm sure everyone will agree it is so worth it though...

:D

McFly

• n00balicious
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 05:33:04 PM »
I was all hot to pick up a set of Dunlop M3s a month ago, then I found out that Costco had a ($100) rebate deal on Michelins. Since I needed 2 sets (one for my Jetta), I bit the bullet and went for the deal on a tire that is OK (I have run Alpins for the past 3 years), but lacks the  *sex* appeal of the M3.

...so I rationalized the frugal purchase by picking up a set of aspherical mirrors  :wink:
00 V6 Variant, Blk Magic, 3M Tint/Clear Bra, Bonrath Grille, Versatech Fogs, Rear Fog, Kamei Sills, 16" Tangos, 225/50 Dunlop SP5000A's, Weathertech Trunk Liner, Aspherical mirrors

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2003, 05:35:59 PM »
Atta boy!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2003, 05:32:11 PM »
HOLLY SHIZNIT!  It is way past time to get my wheels changed out.  I had to drive the stretch on Hampden from Wadsworth to Tamarac today and I felt like I had no traction just about the whole way.  I had to use my tip control to downshift and not use my brakes as much.   8O

I am going to BigO and get things changed out either Monday or Tuesday.  I know that I have had plenty of time and opportunities, but I love my wheels so!
 :D  :cry:

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 02:46:24 PM »
I know the feeling!  I changed mine on Saturday while it was snowing!  I hated to do it, but the ride is a little more comfortable, which is the only benefit (beside having actual snow tires in the snow).

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 08:04:11 PM »
I definitely noticed the comfort and much quieter ride after changing to my 15s on Friday. I went with the Firestone Affinity LH-30 to replace the stock Continentals.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2003, 08:14:33 PM »
Nice, Andrew were they pricey?  I feel I need to replace mine and I am on a really tight budget.

Also, you will notice an increased MPG too! Mine is about 2.5 - 3 MPG more.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2003, 08:26:49 PM »
I had them purchased and installed at a local Firestone dealer with lifetime road hazard, wheel rotation, balancing, etc. for $385.32. It was cheaper than buying through tirerack and having Firestone, Sears, etc. do the install.

I looked at the tirerack reviews, surveys, and pricing before purchasing these. Good bang for the buck IMO. I only have maybe 100 miles on them so far, but I was very impressed this past weekend driving in the ice/snow/wet.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2003, 09:00:05 PM »
Sweet! Looks like a good deal at that price! I need to do some shopping I think.  I haven't driven the Passat in a week.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2003, 03:34:11 PM »
Don't forget to check out Sam's club if you are looking at 195/65/15's.  Ithink they have both all season tires as well as snow tires in that size and they are very reasonable too.

Jay I have the stock 15" rubber (still on my 15" rims) that you could have if you wanted to pay to have them removed from the wheels.  Two tires are decent two are a bit worn.  Your call.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2003, 08:21:02 PM »
Just wanted to give an update on these tires: Firestone Affinity LH-30. They did a poor job of tracking on grooved pavement. I know grooved pavement does that to all tires, but I expected to be shifted around a lot less because of the skinnier (195) tire. This was on my trip to Niwot from South Denver. Pavement was recently paved, so it had the multiple grooves/cuts in them that went parallel with the lanes. Other than that, I still like these tires. The tires seem soft in the corners, maybe because of the profile or the tread depth, but they stick pretty good and don't squeal.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Killed two birds today
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2003, 10:14:36 PM »
Went to get emissions done this afternoon and the guy tells me that he can't because of possible damage to the 18"s.  I had to stop by the house, pick-up the jack stand and go to storge to put the winter wheels back on.  Went back over to the emmisions test and I passed with flying colors.  Gee, you think that the new MAF, plugs, oil and air filter might have helped!!!

Alot of running around, but I needed to do one and had to do the other.

Hope you guys had alot of fun at the GTG today.  I will try to catch the next one.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2003, 11:47:17 PM »
Dave, I thought you bought that car new?  If so, no emissions for 5 years from purchase date.  But if it was used, I udnerstand.

Congrats ont eh passing, it's likepassing a urine test for work...ope the bad stuff doesn;t show ;).

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2003, 12:39:24 AM »
I don't understand why the Emission testing would require you to have the stock tires on. My friend has a M3 that has stock 17's that they told him to swap out for the stock tires, after about a half hour of bitching and explaining that they were the stock tires they still sent him packing. You can buy Passat's with 17's stock, does that mean that when they go to get emissions they can expect to get turned away too? STUPID!!!!!! Can't understand it, stupidity at it's best, I guess.
Look officer, I really do own it......

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2003, 04:10:45 AM »
Well I have 18x8.5" and they were concerned that the wheels, if they bump the metal frame that the rollers are attached to when the car is lowered during testing, it might cause damage.  I really was glad that they told me, just in case.  Anyway, I needed to change over to winter wheels, no biggie!

kt037

• Modded
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2003, 11:10:05 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
Well I have 18x8.5" and they were concerned that the wheels, if they bump the metal frame that the rollers are attached to when the car is lowered during testing, it might cause damage.  ie!

rollers?
unless it is a diesil you there are no rollers involved in an emissions test...now i am confused?!? please explain.
OT DISH?-----> nope!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2003, 12:22:40 AM »
I will give it a try.  When they test your car they drive the front wheels over a set of rollers and onto a bar that sits between them.  When they start the test the bar lowers so the wheels are resting on the rollers.  The deal where concern for the wheels/low profile tires is that when the car is lowered there are some side skirting that help to keep the car on the rollers.  The rollers are about 2' wide to accommodate varying widths of tires.  So, if a careless tech were to let the car steer far enough over to one side or another during the simulated driving test, then the rims could rub against the skirting and possibly damage them.  With 17" wheels or non-low profile tires, the risk may be less or none at all.  Maybe that is what I should have said in the beginning of my original reply, it may be more the low profile tires than the size of the rim.  Sorry for the confusion.

kt037

• Modded
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2003, 04:57:03 AM »
i have had many cars e-tested (8 in all), and never once has any shop put my car on rollers of any knid.... the only ones i know of that need the rollers are deisil. it has been about 1.5 yrs since ive had mine tested...so is this a new way of getting an emissions test?
OT DISH?-----> nope!