Author Topic: Garage Day 11/8?  (Read 15186 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« on: November 01, 2003, 04:59:44 AM »
Anyone want to come over and do a garage day early Saturday?

I would like to head up to Lance's and check his place out before I have to go pick Jen up at the airport in the evening.  

We can do caliper painting, tail tinting, brake light modding, and any other projects we can fit in.  Everyone fully suspended now?

Anyone needs adjustments on anything?  I have a VAG-COM now and am open to learn anything anyone knows...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

RobD

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 11:27:43 AM »
That weekend is all tied up for me.  I would love to do the rear fog mod, brake caliper paint (gloss black baby!)  and have somebody with the vag-com hook me up to "sport" mode for the tip.  I guess I'll have to wait for another weekend to do all this.  Have Fun!

Rob

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 11:27:43 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 03:36:04 PM »
Well this would probably be a good weekend to do winter wheels too, or the following at the latest.  I'd also like to retint my tails since all the tint came off ;).

Let me know what you think about wrapping the wheel thing into this Garage Day otherwise we could shoot for the following weekend.  I just know usually when we have something one weekend most have to make up for it the next with their significant others ;).

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 05:52:10 PM »
im in....have to find a new mod to do :wink: ...ill look into it!
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 08:05:07 PM »
I'm down for a garage day. I'm not sure if I'll wait to put my winter tires on then or do it this weekend. :?
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 02:26:03 AM »
Hey Jay, we could make the garage the wheel rotate bay.  That takes about 10 minutes a car, especially with two people working on it.  Tint all around for anyone that wants it.  

For those with the B5.5, I can do front blinkers since yours are different and are not right next to the headlights.  Once coat would totally change the appearance but make it just as bright as stock..

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 04:25:07 AM »
Sweet! Lets do that! I know I need help, I am still too weak and under spleen restrictions on force and weight so that would rock!

If that's cool with you W then i'll update the message on the homepage with a link here.

Thanks!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 04:55:32 AM »
Wish I could make it to lend a hand...but I am working as usual.  Have a good time guys!!!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 06:14:24 PM »
I am there for the tail lights and winter tires.  Can someone post a be-all end-all grocery list of everything needed for the tail/fog light mods.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 12:24:05 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
Wish I could make it to lend a hand...but I am working as usual.  Have a good time guys!!!

We'll miss ya Jon.  At least we get to see you sometimes though.  Big change from last year.

Jay knows the part numbers for the headlight switch hook up.  Jay, do you remember that part number?

Also, you will need two 1156 bulbs, several connectors as well.  I'll be buying some of this stuff to have in stock, but we may want to see if we can use Andrew's wire again.  

Remember, you do need the euroswitch to be able to use the rear fog, but the other mods don't require it.  

Also, the tail tinting uses a lot of that spray.  I'll buy a can for everyone that wants to do this, but you have to give me some cash for that and let me know who you are (I got you Dave and Jay).

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 03:07:08 PM »
I think I'm going to try and wire up my fogs (dual), although I have them as brake lights now. Winston, what kind of diode do I have to get? Also, I may have enough extra wire for those wanting to do the brake light mod.  :) I definitely have to put my stocks back on too. It was slippery at times this weekend. 8O
mad wagon

Chas

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 03:28:24 PM »
I wish I could make it. Haven't done anything with you guys in a long time, but just like Jon, I have to work.

But I will try and do the extra brake light mod in honor of the GTG. It'll be jst like I'm there only Jay will get to drink more beer!  :roll:  :wink:  Oh, wait, that's right. I forgot.

Hey Jay, I did a story the other day and while I was doing it I thought of you. It was a story on how to brew your own Beer! Neat stuff and of course I got to sample some of the stuff, if you know what I mean.

After thinking about it, Doing that for next years big summer GTG we should all gather and chip in to make a batch of brew. 15 gallons worth! It looks like a whole lot of fun and you get to choose your own type and style of beer. Good stuff. You don't even have to do it at someone's house, there are places that you can brew on site. You do the cooking and pitching of the yeast and they store it while it ferments and then you go back and bottle it. And whamo, 14 to 16 gallons of beer in 22oz bottles!  8O

Just an idea for another time maybe...  :wink:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 05:08:34 PM »
http://www.users.qwest.net/~bkain/images/Technical-Fog_Brake_Light_Conversion.jpgWow Chas, that sounds like a great idea.  I'd be up for that even before next year.

Mark, here's Boris' diagram with part numbers.

I only needed the one bridging across, not the one down.  This was probably due to the way I wired my rear fog.  Plan on 1 diode for each rear fog you do.

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 07:24:51 PM »
Cool - thanks Win! :D
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 01:53:16 PM »
I'll check with my wife...but It looks like I'll be there, at least for the morning, I've got some committments that afternoon. I've got all my rear break light stuff on hand, just haven't done it yet...ie. tint, lights, crimp-on disconnects etc.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 04:00:33 PM »
I just got a big oil extractor delivered today.  I'm gonna try it out tomorrow night probably, but I can bring it on Saturday if anyone needs to change their oil.  Just bring a large jug to take home your old oil and you can use this thing so you don't have to get under your car.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 04:05:06 PM »
Alan!  You are the man.  I was planning on changing my oil this weekend anyway, so I would love to try this out.  Where did you get it, what kind, how much, etc...?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 04:17:13 PM »
Is there a possibility that if it's nice :? someone could bring their digital camera so I could take some updated pics of my ride to post? I don't have one. Thanks :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 05:07:58 PM »
JR, since I saw you last, I got one, and I will, of course, be there...

velo

• Lightly Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2003, 06:15:06 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Alan!  You are the man.  I was planning on changing my oil this weekend anyway, so I would love to try this out.  Where did you get it, what kind, how much, etc...?

Winston, apparently, there was a group buy on this extractor thru clubb5 a while back.  The GB is technically closed, but you can still get a good deal on this extractor.  The one I got was $48.95 shipped.  Here's the link to the GB thread: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53411&highlight=oil+extractor and here's the link I used to actually purchase the extractor: http://toolparadise.com/company/B5/.  If you buy thru that site, pick the 2 day air shipping option, it won't cost any more than the ground shipping option.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2003, 06:30:35 PM »
Hey, I would love to learn how to change my own oil. What should I get? Is is better to go to a synthetic and something for the colder months? TIA!
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2003, 06:39:03 PM »
I have only used Mobil1 5w30 in my car since the first oil change.  Your engine will run better, smoother, longer and will also balance your checkbook.

velo

• Lightly Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2003, 06:43:07 PM »
Quote from: "madigan"
Hey, I would love to learn how to change my own oil. What should I get? Is is better to go to a synthetic and something for the colder months? TIA!

You can search on clubb5 and find more opinions about which oil and filter to use than you can ever imagine.  I prefer to use a synthetic.  I use Valvoline Synpower 5w40 (or 5w30 if that's all I can find).  Other folks are happy with Mobil 1.  I also use a K&N oil filter.  You can pick up a replacement oil drain plug at the dealer for a few bucks (unless you use an extractor in which case you don't need to remove the drain plug).
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2003, 07:26:48 PM »
Ok..now for the dumb questions...

How many quarts of oil should I get and can I get a good oil filter at one of the local Checkers, Pep Boys or Auto Zones? If not maybe I'll order a filter today to hopefully have it by Sat. Is that all I'll need for the oil change? Thanks!
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2003, 07:36:29 PM »
Mark, it should be just over 4 quarts with the filter.  This page should show it, but I can't view it from work due to our internet nazis:

http://www.springbreakdaytonabeach.com/vwtech/www.vwwebsource.com/vwtechcontent/pdf/v170001.pdf

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2003, 07:40:46 PM »
Hey Win, the link/pdf isn't working for me either.
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2003, 07:42:53 PM »

velo

• Lightly Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2003, 07:47:39 PM »
My car takes a little under 4 quarts.  Here's a page on clubb5 with more info: http://www.clubb5.com/information/oilchange.shtml.  I can usually find a K&N filter (the HP2005 for the 1.8T) at Checker or Pep Boys.  They always have the better quality kind by Fram too, for example.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2003, 07:52:18 PM »
Cool - thanks Win! I'll pick up 4 quarts of Mobil1 5W30. Would you want to split another quart with me to get that extra .2qts? Also, where should I get a new oil filter? Thanks.
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day 11/8?
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2003, 07:54:00 PM »
Quote from: "madigan"
Cool - thanks Win! I'll pick up 4 quarts of Mobil1 5W30. Would you want to split another quart with me to get that extra .2qts? Also, where should I get a new oil filter? Thanks.

Mark, I have some extra Mobil 1 (5w30 & 10w40) if you want to top it off with that.  Alan just posted above what filters and where to get them.  I have always been happy with the K&N.