Author Topic: a little help with some diagnosis?  (Read 4271 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
a little help with some diagnosis?
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:46:24 PM »
last night my car got a CEL.  I read the code but have no clue what it means.

the only code thrown was:

16805: Warm up Catalyst Bank 1: Efficiency below threshold.

WTF does that mean?

maybe it is good news if it means the cat is dying and I'll NEED to pick up a set of downpipes and exhaust. ;-)
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: a little help with some diagnosis?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:50:20 PM »
hmm...that may be an o2 sensor deal. I know StarlightB5 has...too much...experience with teh o2 sensors so he may know more if this is that issue or not.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:50:20 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
It is an 02 sensor code.  Drives side is Bank 1 and this code is for the rear sensor.

I suggest clear it and see if and when it comes back.  If it returns quickly, then you need to check for exhaust leaks, if none are found, you need a new 02 sensor.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:09:28 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled";p="45000"
It is an 02 sensor code.  Drives side is Bank 1 and this code is for the rear sensor.

I suggest clear it and see if and when it comes back.  If it returns quickly, then you need to check for exhaust leaks, if none are found, you need a new 02 sensor.

thanks Randy.

hmmmm.  I did clear it and it didn't come back on the way in to work this morning.

would it have tripped if the wires to it got loose?  the CEL tripped after driving down a dirt road pretty rapidly.  lots of vibration.  could have messed with the connection.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »
I have this code also.  I've been ignoring it for quite while now.  As I understand it, the O2 sensors are not sending data that make the car's CPU happy, either too much oxygen or too little (probably too much).  Since there are multiple O2 sensors on these cars (4, right?), there's lot to undertake to diagnose it.

And worse still, if it's not the O2 sensors simply reading poorly, it could be that your catalytic convertor(s!) could be bad, which cost big bucks ($3k+) from the stealership.  I understand that there is a possibility of this issue being covered under the EPA mandated warranty for all cars.  Randy told me about this one.  Basically the environmental controls on a car are covered by the manufacturer for a particular period of time / miles.  Unfortunately for me, I was past the mileage mark.

You should do a little research on this warranty issue b/c it may save you.  Next I guess I would perform a visual inspection of the O2 sensors, and possibly check electrical performance of the O2 sensors and the wiring with a multimeter.  If that doesn't fix it, I think the next likely issue is the cats.

Since I've been ignoring this problem myself, I'd appreciate hearing how this works out for you.  Maybe I'll get off my butt and work on my own CEL issue too.

Lila

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 02:05:43 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="45001"

would it have tripped if the wires to it got loose?  the CEL tripped after driving down a dirt road pretty rapidly.  lots of vibration.  could have messed with the connection.

That is very possible.  Clearing it will help us find out if it was a one time thing, or it is a consistant problem.  Ususally it takes a couple heat cycles to get the CEL to come on, if it is a problem with the 02 sensors.  They store data and compare reading between start-ups of the car.  If there is a variance that is consistant from start up to start up, then the problem is the sensor, not a freak thing like a bump that caused the CEL to come on.

If I were to wager money on it, I would bet the light comes back in a day or two.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 02:16:17 PM »
I'll keep my eye on it, and you'll be among the first to know if it does come back.   :D

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 02:45:37 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="44994"
last night my car got a CEL.  I read the code but have no clue what it means.

the only code thrown was:

16805: Warm up Catalyst Bank 1: Efficiency below threshold.

WTF does that mean?

maybe it is good news if it means the cat is dying and I'll NEED to pick up a set of downpipes and exhaust. ;-)

I was thinking your ten years of marriage is starting to have an affect on your foreplay  :roflmao:

...I'm probably the only one who thinks that's funny...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 02:54:29 PM »
:oops:

doh!

Nah, that doesn't seem to be an issue yet.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 03:39:20 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="45022"

I was thinking your ten years of marriage is starting to have an affect on your foreplay  :roflmao:

...I'm probably the only one who thinks that's funny...

.. atleast he has 2 kids to show for something. JR, you don't even have any kids to show for anything... In that case, neither do i. 8O

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 03:59:45 PM »
Ahhhhhh, not O2 sensors!!!!  I hope that it was just a one time thing.  If you decide to tackle a change out, I can help (not to step on Randy's toes).  I got to the point that anyone that has O2 issues if they have rabits or squirrels in the area.  :lol:

Oh, and for that 10 year crack, didn't VW come out with the Karma Sutra?....Oh, wait a minute that was the Karmenghia.....my bad!  :oops:
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 04:02:50 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5";p="45030"
I got to the point that anyone that has O2 issues if they have rabits or squirrels in the area.  :lol:

at any given moment I do have probably 20 rabbits in my front yard.  and I have had the car outstide for the last few nights.   :roll:

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 04:27:55 PM »
Do a visual of the O2 wiring.  I agree with Randy, unless the wires a severed completely, it may take a few days for things to show up again.  In my case it allowed for some arcing that melted the plastic housing.  That is why in the beginning, I didn't think it was rabbits.  

All of this could mean nothing, but it is a bit coincidental.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 04:34:41 PM »
Sounds like I need to start selling rabbit poison :wink:
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 04:38:14 PM »
You know rabbits are very tastey and healthly to eat (naturally 97% fat free) ;)
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »
THREADJACK:

Starlight, being the resident German, I'm going to correct your German.  Aside from the fact that no one would ever say this, it should be:

"Deutsches Ingenieurwesen im Haus."

Invoice is in the post.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
Quote from: "s4josh";p="45035"
You know rabbits are very tastey and healthly to eat (naturally 97% fat free) ;)

come on over you can keep as many as you can catch.

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »
Rabbits are to cute to kill and eat, I was just throwing a suggestion out there :)
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 06:22:46 PM »
Quote from: "s4josh";p="45048"
Rabbits are to cute to kill and eat, I was just throwing a suggestion out there :)

nothing cute about them when I have this many of them.   Not a bad suggestion, just need to figure out getting rid of them without standing in the yard with a shotgun which the neighbors and HOA would frown upon.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 06:27:39 PM »
Quote from: "BHase";p="45041"
THREADJACK:

Starlight, being the resident German, I'm going to correct your German.  Aside from the fact that no one would ever say this, it should be:

"Deutsches Ingenieurwesen im Haus."

Invoice is in the post.

Ben

That's what I get for trusting a English to German translation web site.

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 06:35:35 PM »
Gragraver -- which motor do you have?  How many miles?  -Mike

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »
he has a 2.7T with ~60k miles.

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 07:07:09 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure that it would be a warranty issue if it turns out to be a catalytic converter, based on that mileage.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 07:15:04 PM »
even if it is, this gives him the opportuity to upgrade to a HFC.

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 07:26:02 PM »
Ok, here's a plan.  Gragraver can go get new cats under warranty, and then sell them to for a "reasonable" (that's lawyer talk) price, and use that cash get HFC.  Oh wait, maybe I should get HFCs!!!  Now we're talking....

Mike

PS Sorry, Gragraver, we would've included you in this discussion but you must be off working or something.....

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2006, 07:27:51 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T";p="45065"
even if it is, this gives him the opportuity to upgrade to a HFC.

yes it is a 2.7T at a little over 60K.  Audi emissions warranty goes to 80K

But, if it turns out to be cats, then one of the Audiworld guys had a great idea.  get new free ones from Audi, then remove them and sell them off to offset the cost of some nice LaBree's.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »
Quote from: "Lila";p="45066"
Ok, here's a plan.  Gragraver can go get new cats under warranty, and then sell them to for a "reasonable" (that's lawyer talk) price, and use that cash get HFC.  Oh wait, maybe I should get HFCs!!!  Now we're talking....

Mike

PS Sorry, Gragraver, we would've included you in this discussion but you must be off working or something.....

you are thinking like the folks on the allroad board are.  And yes, I actually had to get a little work done.   :roll:

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2006, 07:32:00 PM »
that is a great idea. mmm.. Labree's..

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »
grumble, grumble, grumble.  

stupid light came back last night.   :roll:

so, I guess while I am working at home today I'll have to take a break and crawl under the car to see if the rabbits have gotten to the wires.  If not, then I guess time to look into a new 02 sensor.  Any advice about whether those are covered under the emissions warranty?  If not, then I hear the Zoldman's are what to go with.  Randy, can you get those?

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »
My interpretation of the warranty was that all emissions control equipment was covered pursuant to the federal law.  Of course, you may have to fight for that, but I'd try if I were you.  The O2 sensors aren't cheap.