Author Topic: Optima battery placement?  (Read 1391 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Optima battery placement?
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:31:04 AM »
After 6 years, my B5's original battery gave up the ghost this past Friday.  Saturday I gave it some new lovin in the form of an Optima Red Top battery.

The only problem is that I had to turn the battery around to get the posts to match up to the battery cables.  Do any other VAG owners out there have the red top and have run into this?

What is your solution?

Also, the red top doesn't fit the factory securing points, so although it is fairly snug, it is not secure enough for me since it is not bolted down.  If you have one, how have you secured it?

I am going to cross post to passatworld.com too.

Thanks,
Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Re: Optima battery placement?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 02:07:24 AM »
I think I replaced mine with an Optima battery.
I remember the mechanic had a little trouble trying to get it to fit, but it's in there and I never had a problem with it since -- still working strong.  The OEM really sucked, it died quite a few times in the first two years.

I could take a look and see how it was done.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 02:07:24 AM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:37:17 PM »
Hey Alan!  Mine's in there pretty good, so it's not critical, but I have some car work lined up and I want to take care of this at the same time.

Did you really have that much trouble with your OEM battery?  Mine did fine until it started showing signs of trouble about a month ago.  A guy on PW say ECS tuning makes an aftermarket battery clamp that I may take a look at.

How's the Passat?

Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.