Author Topic: Damn you Discount Tire!  (Read 8318 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Damn you Discount Tire!
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:46:30 PM »
Well first off many thanks to jfrahm for the Khumo's, I owe ya some  :beermug:  :beermug:  :beermug:  :beermug: !!!

So I had the tires swapped out on my car, called yesterday and made a 9:45am appt. I get in and I could tell somethign was wrong with my appt but the guy made it seem like evrything si fine and the appt stands.  45mins later my car goes in, so much for appts.

So then my car is done over an hour after my scheduled appt time began and I walk outside to pick up the car and there is a gash in my left front wheel! I am livid! So I was already being helped for a little complaint about my appt as the guy comes out to give me his card with a no wait next time message I noticed the gash and showed it to him. He went in grabbed some cleaner and low and behold, it is a gash.

Of course he cops the "Well there is no way to tell if we did it." Which I said true, but this is NOT from curbing, it is clear that it is not from curbing. It is from something striking the wheel. My weeks were mark free upon arrival.

So I satyed calm, but I am sure I was visibly pissed off as anyone would be. Now they will be looking into what they can do about the wheel and I wont find out until Monday or Tuesday. Now I feel like I should just stay locked up inside because today is not going well at all.

Ugh...I guess the positive outcome, I have some summer tires on my car for this season. Daddy like.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Re: F*&^ Discount Tire!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 04:01:58 PM »
that sucks.  If they damaged your wheel, they are responsible for fixing/replacing it.  I am sure they will, if they don't your insurance it probably a good source to tell them what happened.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 04:01:58 PM »

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 04:42:08 PM »
Bummer.  Pour one out for the homies... :beermug:
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 06:11:07 PM »
MAKE them replace the wheel with a BRAND NEW ONE.  Politely throw a big enough fit about them being total jagoff's and how they didn't do their job right and they will offer to replace the wheel with a "refinished" one like they did to me but make sure it's a brand new one.  

With my case I managed to get 4 brand new Pirelli P-Zero Nero's for $400 with lifetime warranties on each.  Of course that was after I gave nasty replies in their email survey since I was just gonna brush them off after the service I received from my local Discount Tire.  After they got the complaints they made sure they did everything they could to make me happy.
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 06:22:04 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I did tell him that It needs to be a VW wheel and new.

Fortunately the guy that was addressing my concerns was calm and professional and since I didnt yell or screm and have a hissy fit I think it will all work out. I imagine he knew how upset I was.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 06:32:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that! I hate it when car places fix my car and it comes back more broken than before.

On a different note, my friend in St. Louis recently had the same thing happen to him.  He took his Jetta in to a VW dealer to have a new tire mounted, and they scratched the crap out of his wheel.  But they took responsibility once he showed them the damage, and they sent his wheel to a hub&wheel place to have it fixed. Took three days, but the wheel is impeccable now. They even gave him a replacement wheel for the three days that he didn't have the original. Not as good as no damage, but better than nothing!
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 07:03:33 PM »
Keep us updated Jay.  I hope it all works out in the end.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »
which Discount Tire?

I went to the one on Colorado South and they were really fast, very friendly and extremely courteous.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 07:13:38 PM »
It was the one at County Line and University. I have htem do my wheel rotaiton and balance as well and haven't had a problem yet. This was the first and it was a two fer.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 07:42:20 PM »
the one on Colorado gashed my wheel as well. Pretty much the same exact story, down to which wheel the F#^#&d UP. Even though the guy claimed they have a "no touch" machine...whatever!!!  :roll:

They were nice and curteous...but still f'd up the wheel!
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
Jay, I am very sorry to hear about what happened.  It makes me sick just thinking about it.  I try so hard not to curb or damage the wheels and I get the sweats just hearing about other peoples problems.

Ironically I went to my Discount Tire (Wadsworth by Belleview) earlier this week for a balance and air pressure check.  Though there was no tire swapping, I still removed the center caps prior going in and I gave each wheel a fine tooth comb inspection when I got it back.  

Last fall, when I got the Conti Extremes I was a nervous wreck, like an expectant father.  I spent at least 10 minutes going over each wheel and did not leave until I was satisfied.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »
Bastages...so sorry to hear, I will be watching for what happens because the Tacoma is in need of new tires, and I am not familiar with any tire shops down in this area, and don't feel like driving back up north for my installs.

Imprezzive83

• n00balicious
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 04:52:43 AM »
Man, that really sucks. I was going to purchase some 19's from Discount but they would be mounted up on 120th and I-25. Hopefully they do not f my car up because the wife does enough of that already.
ast: 2 '69 Bugs, '58 Bug, '64 Ghia, '62 Bug w/ tilt front end, '83 & '84 Rabbit GTI's, '85 Golf 4dr, '86 8V GTI, 2 Black '92 GTI 16V's

Present: 2003 Passat W8,
         2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wifes)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 12:57:46 PM »
the discount tire at 104th/Colorado f'd up 2 sets of new wheels. They did replace them though every time.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 02:43:59 PM »
Well I feel better about reading these stories of them taking care of the customers. So we will wait and see what happens. For the record, this is only the second time in 10 years Discount has jacked something up.

The last time was about nine or ten years ago, they over-tightened the lugs on my Fox and someone slashed one of my tires at the Dead Beat Club. So at 2am I was trying to change my tire and the lugs wouldn't budge. Called AAA, they showed at like 3:30am. This dude looked like Mr. Clean, he broke two lug wrenches, and had to jump up and down on one to get the lug loose.

Discount got an earful the next day. They did replace my tire for me though for free, but they kind of had too since I had that warranty stuff.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 08:13:09 PM »
Now I'm kind of scared about taking my new wheels there to have my summer tires mounted up.  But  they didn't mess up on my stock wheels the other two times I've had them swap tires.  

I've either used the one just east of Hampden and Monaco, or the one just west of Evans and Monaco.

Since they are brand new wheels they would be the only ones that could mess them up, unless UPS does it while shipping, which I will check for prior to taking them to Discount.

Good luck with getting everything resolved.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 03:51:54 PM »
So DT called me this morning. They want to either give me a "refinished" wheel or half off on some aftermarket wheels. While I would love some aftermarket wheels, I don't want 16" and I doubt there is anything they have that I want.

I told him I need to think about it because I am not happy at all with a refinished wheel because I do not know why it is being refinished or if the finish will last. I let him know I really would prefer a new wheel.

Up to this point I have been very nice and willing to listen to what they offer. Unfortunately it isn't going to last long with what they have offered me.

I will call them after lunch and unless they are going to get me some 18" wheels of choice for half price they are going to have to replace my wheel with a brand new wheel from VW. It's not like I came in with a refinished wheel that was damaged. I came in with a factory wheel without a knick on it.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 04:42:34 PM »
I don't like Discount Tire...I don't go to Discount Tire. I hope you get some 18s though.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 04:50:04 PM »
why don't people take responsibility for what they do anymore?....if they just owned up to it and fixed things, in the long run, less frustration, and probably less money.

A new factory rim would cost them much less, due to their direct buying, so they should just do that.

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 05:51:05 PM »
The only reason they are offering a refinished wheel is so they can "save money" as I was told when they screwed mine up.  Just be persistent with them having to get a new wheel and mention that you are part of a large community that shares info such as which shops to go to for the service they provide and they might change their tune a little.  That helped with my situation a little and got them to wake up.
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 05:51:30 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo";p="45653"
why don't people take responsibility for what they do anymore?....if they just owned up to it and fixed things, in the long run, less frustration, and probably less money.

A new factory rim would cost them much less, due to their direct buying, so they should just do that.

I am on board with John.  Accountability gets the back burner so often it is like breathing, people do not think about it.  I would not relent and ask them to replace your wheel with a new OEM one.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »
Thanks guys, I am so freaking busy today, I need to call them back, but I need to get this crap done here at work. Hopefully I can find some time to chat with DT this afternoon.

I really want it to turn out good because I did pay for (with my stock tires) the coverage for lifetime balance and rotation. Which means I need to go to discount to get my money's worth out of it. At least for this set of tires. Plus they are damn close to my house. Oh well, so is a goodyear and big-o so we'll see.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Re: Damn you Discount Tire!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 07:50:35 PM »
If you're talking about the Big-O just north of County Line and University I would steer clear.  I used to work at the UMB Bank branch rigth next door and the guys over there were pretty much a bunch of morons.  My co-workers would take their car there for service and pay way too much and everytime someone would tell them there was something new wrong with their car.  The worst was one of my co-workers paying over $500 to get two 15" tires replaced, she was pretty pissed when I showed her that she paid way too much for the tires she got and that there were plenty of other tires available for far less.

Just an FYI

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 07:51:35 PM »
haha, so unless I buy my own equipment I am pretty much screwed. :)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 07:54:07 PM »
maybe we should all pitch in an buy a touchless tire mounting machine. we can store it in jay's garage.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 07:54:59 PM »
As soon as Randy is able to start doing wheels and tires we won't need to worry about own equipment.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 07:57:22 PM »
Yeah, c'mon Randy, get it together man.

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 11:04:49 PM »
I had the same thing happen to my A4 wheels.  The tire machine scraped each pedal as it put the tire on.  I got him to agree to a free alignment, which I didn't use.  I didn't like the idea of a refinished wheel.  Maybe you can negotiate a price off tires next time.

Good luck.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 11:31:43 PM »
Quote from: "KevB";p="45667"
As soon as Randy is able to start doing wheels and tires we won't need to worry about own equipment.

Kev

Oh fine you HAD to say something like that...NOW I'll have to think of something to get something done to my car so I can help Randy get the funds together... :twisted: :lol:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 11:26:40 AM »
Jay that sucks about discount man.  I have always had great experience with them.  I have been going to the same shop now though for three years and I pretty much know everyone there.  That has been a bonus.  I am sure it will work out.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood