Author Topic: Damn you Discount Tire!  (Read 8200 times)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Re: Damn you Discount Tire!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 12:02:35 PM »
Jay, sorry to hear it.  I think we've all been there before.
Stick to your guns.  It went in there in perfect shape.  It should come out of there in perfect shape.  That's all there is to it.
FWIW, I now have all my tires mounted and balanced at Autoworks Colorado.  They can't plug holes in tires, but they do everything else for them.  I know all the mechanics there, and they are not in high school and take pride in their work.  Most importantly, in the unlikely event something does get messed up, they are accountable.  Until Randy gets the gear to do this, they are likely our best bet.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »
Pat,

Will Autoworks Colorado mount and balance wheels and tires even if you did not buy them there?  I'm asking because I was going to use Perfomance Wheel and Tire, but they won't do work on stuff you haven't purchased from them.

Thanks,

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »
Yep, but they'll charge you an hour of labor to do it ($85).  How much the piece of mind is worth is up to you.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 02:17:55 PM »
Quote from: "KevB";p="45705"
Pat,

Will Autoworks Colorado mount and balance wheels and tires even if you did not buy them there?  I'm asking because I was going to use Perfomance Wheel and Tire, but they won't do work on stuff you haven't purchased from them.

Thanks,

Kev

Really?  They have done so for me in the past.  I really like the guys over there.  They gave me a pair of loaner wheels and tires while I hassled with Centerline, for about 4 months.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »
Well Discount is now clearly irritated with me. I just got back to them and said I want a new wheel. I explained that I do nto want a refinished wheel and again explained to him why I don't feel comfortable with it.

The guy I am dealing with sounded irritated with me at the end of the call and said he would see what he can do about finding me a NEW wheel.

Now I am more uncomfortable about this whole thing because I feel like things will never be right. If he would have just said okay, I understand I will find you a new wheel it would be different. However, he made me feel like I was asking him to turn water into wine.

I want this to just be taken care of and I want to give them the opportunity to continue supporting my wheel rotation and balance, but now I feel like if I get the new wheel that I will be tagged as a pain in the ass customer and get no respect.

While this wouldn't normally be an issue, I did fork over like $70 bucks or something like that in the winter to add the road hazard and lifetime balance and rotation to my tires since VW doesn't do that crap anymore and the tire warranty sucks. It pays for itself in two rotations so it was worth it for me to do it.

Anyway, it sucks that I am made to feel like I should just take it and go. I just don't feel confident that the refinished wheel I will get will match right or will withstand the elements like the originals.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »
The pathetic part of it all is that, even if they do what you want them to in the end, you've wasted all the time, effort and emotion getting them to take care of their own mistake.
*sigh*
It's stories like this that make my loyalty for accountable businesses sky high.
-Chuck Patterson

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 03:07:32 PM »
Ask for cash money and get a new wheel off of ebay, you can wait for a good deal to turn up and probably end up ahead.  

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 03:29:06 PM »
that really sucks Jay. I am sick and tired of companies that don't stand behind their service and their product. As a consumer i feeling like i am being taken advantage of. I am willing to pay extra and deal with certain people/companies because i know i can trust them to make sure i am happy. As Pat said the extra $$ spent is worth the peice of mind.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
I agree with that to a point. Unlike what seems like a number of you guys I do not have the ability to just go off and get work done anywhere and be okay with my company or my wallet.

I try to find that balance of cost and service. While a number of us now have had some sort of problem at discount, as I mentioned before, this is my first issue in over 10 years. I felt going in that things would be done right as they have always done fine by me in the past decade.

I will still try and ride out the plan I have on the stock tires, when I eventually either get some 17" (or 18") wheels and tires or new 16" tires I will surely go elsewhere as I will have more invested into it.

I do appreciate all the input and sympathy. I know it is just a 16" stocker but it sucks no matter what. At this point I am going to wait and see what he comes back with in terms of a new wheel.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 06:32:00 PM »
Jay, bummer to hear about the scratched rim.

Hopefully discount tire will do the right thing and will take care of a good customer.

Although I have had bad experiences at other tire shops, I have to agree with you that my experience with discount tire has always been good.  The guys in the shop near Jon's old house have treated me well for 10+ years, and I will keep going there.  They have always been prompt, and when they have had a problem, they have been upfont and have been nice to work with in fixing the issue. (the only real issue was ordering rims different from what I had ordered with them, but they paid to have the right ones overnighted).  anyway, I really do hope that this issue was mearly with one employee (& hopefully a noob) screwing up your rim, and not a systemic problem in quality.  I guess their doing the right thing will be more evidence one way or the other.

you seem to be handling this well, stay on course!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 08:52:07 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="45721"
 The guys in the shop near Jon's old house have treated me well for 10+ years, and I will keep going there.  They have always been prompt, and when they have had a problem, they have been upfont and have been nice to work with in fixing the issue.!

My experience with them is just that, they always treated me well.  That is the best discount shop IMHO.  Never had issues, and they gave me AWESOME pricing when I bought from them.  I might consider still commuting back and forth to have them change out tires.  Might be worth my time after reading what Jay is going through.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 09:18:16 PM »
I guess I missed a call from them earlier. The message says that they have ordered a NEW wheel from VW and it should be here Friday or Monday.

My faith is being restored because I know that they are following through on my request. I will be sure to call tomorrow to follow up and thank them for doing their part.

I'm not out to drag them throught he mud, while this could have been a better experience I am much happier knowing that they are following through.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »
GREAT NEWS!!  :D

Ironically enough, I got a customer satisfaction survey e-mail from DT today.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 01:17:57 AM »
that is good news Jay...I will reserve judgement until things are finalized with the new rim next week.  Keep us informed.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 12:04:33 PM »
Great news!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 01:51:13 PM »
sounds like things are back on track.  keep us posted.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
The wheel came in yesterday. My schedule is full this week so it will be replaced on Saturday at 9am!

I am very happy this is all working out. The fella I have been dealing with seemed pretty happy too. He did apologize for everything and that is the first i heard that so that made me feel even better.

So the good news is I feel more comfortable about coming back and finishing up the lifetime balance and rotation on my stockers. When it comes to the aftermarkets though, I will probably take everyone's advice and find a place that takes a bit more pride and care with their work.