Author Topic: "Distruptive Protesting" - Yay.  (Read 3503 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
"Distruptive Protesting" - Yay.
« on: April 24, 2006, 08:15:16 PM »
From our Ops MGR:

"It has been reported in today’s Denver Post that several groups plan to protest Newmont Mining’s annual meeting tomorrow. According to the report, protest organizers say as many as 200 activists could show up for anti-Newmont events in both Arapahoe County, where the meeting will take place and at Newmont’s headquarters, which are at the Wells Fargo Center, floors 35-37.

We have been told by the property management office that the protesters plan to gather at our building at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow morning for a peaceful protest and then travel to the Inverness hotel for further protests and a news conference. After the news conference, the group plans to return to our building at around 2:00 p.m. for protests that could be “more disruptive”, according to the protesters. In the past, Newmont protests were held on the Lincoln Street level of the building. Due to the numbers anticipated at this year’s protest, it is possible the protestors will be around the entire building.

The property management office has been in close contact with the Denver Police Department, Newmont officials and other law enforcement agencies and plans to have extra security officers on hand at all entrances to the building, the loading dock and the parking garage. None of the protesters will be allowed to enter the building. In addition, the doors to the parking garage will be kept closed all day tomorrow."

At least I have the tunnel to the garage I can come in and out of when I leave at 3...DPD'll probably be in full Riot Gear. Nothing like broadcasting your intentions- "we plan to get violent." Thanks for the heads-up! LOL
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Re: "Distruptive Protesting" - Yay.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 08:17:59 PM »
Do you work for Newmont, or the building's Property Management company?
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 08:17:59 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:02:26 PM »
water balloons anyone? :twisted:

gonna be watching the news tomorrow to see how this turns out

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:13:59 PM »
I hate protestors.
Luckily it's not happening during my drive home.

I hate that everyone has to be annoyed and be inconvenienced because of these protests, it just makes everyone mad at the protestors and their views.  There are much better and effective ways in getting your point across.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:39:30 PM »
cool. i got a veiew of there from my office.

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 01:59:16 AM »
"There are much better and effective ways in getting your point across."

What do you recommend?

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 04:08:59 AM »
Quote from: "03Indigo";p="45675"
water balloons anyone? :twisted:

gonna be watching the news tomorrow to see how this turns out

I have a 3 man water ballon sling shot... range new was 200yrds.  it is almost 10 years old now, so I bet it has lost some of it's springiness... so it might not shoot as far... anyone want to join me in some morter balloning?
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 12:08:23 PM »
We'll need access to the roof top of the Wells Fargo building to make this the most fun.  We could pick off Alan and Eric on their way to work today.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »
I work for neither, but I work in the building. I like the water ballon idea...although dropping one from the top of the building would kill someone.
Now drive-by water-ballooning I used to do at college...nailed the dean of men on the last day of school  :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 12:58:49 PM »
Quote from: "Lila";p="45690"
"There are much better and effective ways in getting your point across."
What do you recommend?

this sounds boring but getting the news involved, writing letters to your congress person, etc. generally educating and informing the public rather than pissing them off by being annoying and disruptive.  That how you get support.
The recent RTD strike and new illegal immigrant law rally really ruffled a lot of feathers in Denver.

Water balloons are fun, but how about eggs or ripe tomatoes?
Good luck getting access to the roof, those places are pretty secure unless you know someone who one of the building managers.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
Sometime boring doesn't work.  The public (including congress) is generally more concerned about weeds in their lawn or the size of their next raise to think about issues affecting the rest of the world.  

But, I see your point about things being a nuisance.  Personally, I believe that Newmont (not you) deserves all of this hassle and more.  Bring on the water balloons, get the board of directors!  International mining companies often commit (or contribute to) unspeakable atrocities, particularly on foreign soil where their actions are not monitored very well.  Indigenous people are actually dying (or are dead) as a result of some of the crimes committed by these big mining (plus oil and gas and other) companies.  

Mike

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 02:47:47 PM »
Yeah, however, when the offending companies headquarters are in the same massive building as probably twenty others, it becomes more of a hassle than anything else. You think they're up on the 35th floor thinking about the protest? No. They can't even SEE the protest much less be affected by it.
And what's the "more disruptive" protest going to disrupt?? They don't know who's working for who coming in and going out of the building. If anything, it's going to make the other 47 floors of poeple working here pissed off.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 03:00:44 PM »
This happening today (25th) or tomorrow (26th).  I work right basically next to the inverness hotel.  I would have to get blood on my GTi!
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 03:07:26 PM »
Well, the political process is not pretty.  We are lucky to live in a stable democracy where protests like this one are virtually guaranteed to be non-violent, whereas protests in other countries are virtually guaranteed to result in injury and death.  But, don't get me wrong --- I agree; this sort of thing is a real PITA for the bystanders.  Look at it this way, it's free entertainment.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 03:30:37 PM »
i think i am going to wander outside and see what is going on. i will report back shortly.

if i am not back in 20 minutes call the police and/or send a search party.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 04:03:09 PM »
HAHA! I'm lunch...the 2pm protest is supposed to be the good according to what they say. I guess right now, they're kinda lazy and just hanging out talking to each other.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 05:33:38 PM »
yeah, i went and checked it out and it was very lame. So much for an urban brawl of protesters..

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 12:03:26 PM »
I left at 3 and there were lots of unmarked police cars, and about 3 protestors looking lost. Agreed. Quite lame.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner