Author Topic: Brake pedal feel.  (Read 1501 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Brake pedal feel.
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:41:16 PM »
Now that i have bedded my brakes a slight bit of dead pedal has developed. When i go to depress the brake pedal there is a small ammount of travel by the brake pedal before the pedal meets any resitance and the brake pads start to touch the rotors. I didn't start to notice this till after i bedded the new pads and rotors.

Is there a way to adjust the pedal travel other than bleededing the brakes?

Oh and make sure when you go to bed your new pads and rotors make sure your rear folding seats are properly latched and locked, otherwise you might end up with a box of old brake parts running into the back of the drivers seat. (leason learned) ;)

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Re: Brake pedal feel.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:38:54 PM »
I had to go rebleed my brakes after my autocross school.  After doing the figure 8 (no braking involved) I would get back to my parking spot and the pedal would go to the floor.  Single pump and it would be right back at firm.  Pulled it back down to Randy's and purged a few bubbles from the driver's side caliper.  Speaking with Mark Baer (SCR Performance) at the event the next day, he recommended tapping the caliper with a light rubber mallet or something plastic gently while bleeding.  He said that StopTechs have a reputation for having a lot of nooks and crannies for hiding bubbles.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:38:54 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:06:16 PM »
You can also try bleeding at the various fittings, banjo bolts, etc.  If air is hiding in there it might never want to leave on it's own.  I've also used a big syringe and a piece of clear hose filled with brake fluid to backflow into a bleeder screw.  You open the bleeder, get some fluid flow from gravity, get the syringe on there, work any bubbles to the top, then push most of the fluid into the system.  If there are bubbles up high that are not inclined to go down and out the bleeders this can pop them out the top.

Good luck,
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:18:01 PM »
stainless steel brake lines would help the feel a bit and make the pedalsa little firmer.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:02:36 PM »
ian -  i think i might re-bed them this coming weekend and maybe rebleed them in a few weeks if it doesn't work, i will also try the mallet idea. I was talking with Jordan and he said he had the same problem, but after a 2nd bedding procedure his were good to go.  I think i might go try doing 12-15 bedding runs back to back.  If i do these from 80mph to 10mph back to back  that should make sure the pads and rotors are bedded completly.

joel - interesting idea. I will think about that.

Alan -  I already have them.