Author Topic: The pet Stork dropped something off at our house!  (Read 6446 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
The pet Stork dropped something off at our house!
« on: April 30, 2006, 02:43:44 PM »
RMCb5ers....this is Kona.....Kona....RMCB5ers. Kona is about 12 weeks, we adopted him through Every Creature Counts via PetsMart yesterday. Here are a couple pics of him. We have our hands pretty full and the cats are a bit upset. He doesn't seem to car emuch about the cats and one of them already pro-actively attacked Kona which led him to pee in our room. Ahh puppies.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: The pet Stork dropped something off at our house!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:46:44 PM »
Before the jokes start, no he is not a cyborg from the future sent back in time to kill John Connor.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:46:44 PM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 04:30:47 PM »
cool man. i can bring teddy by someday and they can play.

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 04:51:23 PM »
I am looking for Sarah COnner!  Ill be back.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »
1 major word of advise. If you have carpets in the house, and you actually care about them go pick up one of these:

Hoover steam cleaners

We have used it so many times with our new pup that it has already paid for itself. I used it yesterday to steamclean the whole house, and i used it this morning because both dogs were sick and threw up all over

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.johnwilker.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 07:26:56 PM »
vomit sucks.

Kona is cute!
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 07:46:09 PM »
Well of course we care abut our carpets, but we also know that other than the basement they need to be replaced in the next year or two. So going through puppy-isms should be tolerable.

That pic was taken in my garage as I have spent most of today working on making sure he is good while we are gone during the day at work. We have two doggie doors, one from the garage to the outside and one from the house to the garage. As he gets a little older I will open the one from the garage to the outside and he will have a giant dog house so he can go out and frolic and play.

In the mean time until he gets to the vet, and gets through training he will spend his time inside and outside with us when we are around and the garage when we are away.

Sounds harsh, but it is well isnulated, and he has a nice bed. I just hate the thought of crating him during the day.

He is at the point where he needs to socialize so I think a puppy play date would rock. We have a big yard and there is a bark park real close by. He has to hit the vet this week and we need to work with him on the whole leash walking thing. He doesn't get it...yet.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 07:54:32 PM »
i am up for a puppy play day. My berner needs some socialization, as she just turned 16 weeks. We are starting her at the trainer in 2 weeks now that she has all the proper shots.

As for crating, dogs are den animals via nature. After the first few days of crating it isn't that bad. Both of our pups know exactly what crate time is and they don't seem to mind it. They both have seperate crates and are in different rooms. They have small bowls of food and h20 and spend most of the day sleeping, except when the cats poke fun at them.. When we get home it is play time.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 08:12:44 PM »
cute jay.  So is one eye blue or something?  Dogs are so cute when their eyes are different colors
Life's too short to be taken seriously

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 08:40:25 PM »
Quote from: "Spicoli";p="45914"
cute jay.  So is one eye blue or something?  Dogs are so cute when their eyes are different colors

Exactly. Has one blue eye and one brown.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 08:59:47 PM »
That is how my dog is... so cute.  Sometimes it is a bit scary though.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 09:13:11 PM »
congrats Jay....

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 12:14:39 AM »
Cool.  What kind of mix is it?
I'm guessing Jack Russell, Beagle and Heeler.

Kona and Yuki should play together sometime.

As for cleaning products, I highly recommend Resolve for Pets.  It works so much better than the stuff you find at Petsmart and it's half the price.  It works extremely well on my ivory rug, which Yuki likes to go on.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 01:00:08 AM »
awwwwww!  how cute.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 12:36:01 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus";p="45922"
Cool.  What kind of mix is it?
I'm guessing Jack Russell, Beagle and Heeler.

Kona and Yuki should play together sometime.

As for cleaning products, I highly recommend Resolve for Pets.  It works so much better than the stuff you find at Petsmart and it's half the price.  It works extremely well on my ivory rug, which Yuki likes to go on.

Alan -

Kona is German Shepherd and Husky according to ECC, but you can clearly see the ACD markings in him, legs, chin and even his snout. His back has a few white hairs intertwined and the tip of his tail is white. So he could be a mix of all three or maybe just GS and ACD.

Some ACDs will have differently colored eyes. So it's possible they saw the eye and "assumed" husky. We'll see. I ahve to call ECC today to make an appt to have him treated for his kennel related illness(es) he has right now and make a vet appt with whoever will become Kona's permanent vet nad have him checked out there as well. I should be able to find out more baout his mixed breed breeds. :)

It was hard leaving him this morning, but I didn't make a big deal about leaving. I am going to drive my ass all the way back home to feed him and let him run around and potty. Then head back in.

By the way, our neighbor tragically lost her puppy a few months back, he was hit in front of her house. She met our puppy and asked us if we needed a crate for at night and we thought it would be a good idea to help with the cats. So last night we crated him. He really complained for about 10 minutes and then quieted down when he ralized we were there in bed and was good all night. Of course I had to get up at 1:30 tot ake him out to take care of business, but he was good about it and when he went back intot he crate did so with little fanfare.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 01:30:36 PM »
Jay -  See crating the dog isn't that bad, and it appears your pup didn't seem to mind it. We cannot crate either one while we are home as they know we are they and they get pissed. But they both sleep in the bedroom on the floor and are peaceful.  You are lucky only having to take him out once last night. I took our pup out 4x last night as she still has a small bladder.

You might also check out the 'natures miracle' product for your carpet when they make a mistake. We noticed that the resolve didn't take all the odor out of the carpet when we sprayed it on. The natures miricle seems to kill it a  tad better.

What are you feeding him for food?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 01:40:36 PM »
I got him a small bag of Science Diet Puppy. I figured it was a safe bet until we can get him into the Vet and get more info on what's best for him.

He seems to gobble it right up.

As for his becoming housebroken. Today will be the real test. Though the folks at PetsMart said he never messed in his kennel there the few days they had him.

I was going to see if he could make it trhought eh night, but he was being really fidgety around 1 am and making a lot of noise chewing on his teething bone (hitting it on the side of the kennel) and then became more fdgety so i knew he needed to go.

And he's quick too, it was cold last night. Got outside, and he ran to his spot (which is not the spot I want him going at...) and then we wnet back inside.

We didn't get much playtime this morning because it was so cold. So I feel really bad. But the grass was wet which I'm sure felt like ice cubes to him.

He has the garage though today. I may still go get a bigger kennel after doing this for a week. He will outgrow this one in the coming months. At least this way we can see how it works and hopefully get to the point of him just sleeping on the floor.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 02:01:07 PM »
before you buy another crate let me talk to my wife. We have 3 crates and we will be graduating Teddy (our Berner) to her bigger crate here shortly. Maybe i can hook you up with a bigger one for dirt cheap. ;)

we discovered that both of our dogs love pig ears and bully sticks. They will keep the dogs amuzed for a long time.  We also used science diet but we are switching them currently to a food from Breeders Choice.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 03:22:19 PM »
Thanks Eric, I need to see what size this one is. We basically just want to ge tthrough puppy rearing and cat acclimation then we should be able to have him be crate free. Just don't want him roaming the house at night and getting into a situation with the cats.

Right now he is terrified of them.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »
in the beginning we also used a kiddie gate accross the bedroom door so the cats could go under it and the dog had to stay in the room at night. it worked pretty well.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 03:41:48 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T";p="45940"
in the beginning we also used a kiddie gate accross the bedroom door so the cats could go under it and the dog had to stay in the room at night. it worked pretty well.

Those are some lazy cats if they won't go over it ;)
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 03:45:16 PM »
Quote from: "ianacole";p="45943"
Those are some lazy cats if they won't go over it ;)

not lazy, stupid. ;)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 03:50:24 PM »
Well our cats are old men. And the dog is just a little bigger than our biggest cat, so I dunno about the being able to let the cats under. We have been using the gate we have otherwise to keep him in the same room as us in the house.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 03:53:24 PM »
did you guys ever read the kitten/Akita story on AWOT?  there is a reason we don't have cats.  Stu wouldn't play nicely.

funniest thing ever though about dogs who grow up with cats.  As a kid we had a 110lb german shepard.  great dog, but HATED cats.  one time we went to my aunt and uncle's farm and took our dog with us.   My aunt and uncle also had a german shepard, only about 85 lbs and it was the laziest dog ever, it had also grown up around all the farm cats.  Anyway, when we arrived at their house our dog hopped out of the car, and immediatly saw one of their cats and took  off across the yard after it.  

I have never seen their dog move so fast, I didn't know it could go that fast.  their dog ran over, positioned itself between the cats and my dog and basically with a look and a growl told my dog to back off.  the amazing thing was our dog did.  he didn't mess with a cat for the entire week we were there.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 01:29:33 PM »
Ok, some pooch questions for you pros.

The last coupls nights Kona slept in our room in the crate. First night he whined a little at first but the second night not a peep.

Well unfortunately one of our cats is terrified of crates (carriers) and his safe place is our bedroom. So he was scared to be in the bedroom because of the crate and the dog. Ugh.

Since he is an old man (about 16 ish) we don't want to stress him out by taking his safe room away. So last night we put Kona in our empty bedroom, which is really dark. He was very unhappy and whined for about 15 minutes or so off and on. He settled down (we didn;t give in to the whining) and went to sleep.

I went in at 2am and took him out to potty and he was good and went right back into the room and was easy to get into the crate. Was quiet for about 5 - 10 minutes and then whined againf or another 15 minutes or so.

I know he needs a good routine and I think for the time being he is going to have his own bedroom at night. While we work on he and the kitties socializing. Any tips? I am thinking about buying a cheapy radio and putting it in there at night on like a talk radio or classical station. I know when we were in our room when the tv was on he was nice and calm.

At the same time I know every dog is different and what works for one person may not work for another. I just want him to be happy and not upset. It makes me feel bad. :(

He is at least getting better about being on a leash, I spend most of the time wiht im outside with him on a leash and we spend time learning sit and wait. He is getting good at understanding both.

He is a little jumpy when he is excited so I am trying to work on that and just make sure he is a quiet boy. His training class starts on May 24. We couldn't put him in the one that started yesterday because of his potential kennel illnesses (eyes, cough), but we did get him some antibiotics.

I am hoping to get him out a little this weekend to my sisters to meet the little kids and to meet the neightbors dogs finally and get the socialization ball rolling.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 01:34:42 PM »
Mutts rule!  I need a new dog.

What about a box?  A box is not a crate.  If you put same blanket in it maybe the dog will transition smoothly, and maybe the cat will not think it's a crate and freak.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 01:45:35 PM »
Joel -

We were talking about that too. Since he is a puppy, he needs to be monitored. :) Ant the cats are too old to hurdle a baby gate and he is still small enough that if we raise it for the cats to go under..well so will he (Elvis the cat is a big cat).

I was thinking about getting one of the wire cage kennes like hte one he was in when we got him. I think it will be less frightening for the cat and he will still feel like he is in the room.

We tried putting a towel over the kennel and it helped a little, but the cat still knew it was there.

Of course this cat..the scared one...trusts us in every other way. You can pin him down to examine him, manipulate him in anyway, carry him around places most cats get scared and he trusts you.  As soon as he sees a carrier, he freaks. Since he associates it with going to the vet.

Cardboard box might not be too bad though. We will have to look at that idea, we just don't want him to get up and go roaming...or using the floow as his potty.

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 01:59:04 PM »
Awesome dog! I have a Husky/Cattle Dog mix with one blue and one brown eye. We feed him a little bit of cooked salmon out of a can or sealed baggy thing and it seems to help with the whole shedding deal. Try getting him to chase a laser pointer, he'll probably love it.
wo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »
Jay -  You bring up alot of things in your post.

1. Why not have the dog (no crate) in your bedroom at night and still have the cats in the room with you? Reserve the crate for day time use and keep it in the spare bedroom. Our cats are also affraid of the crate, but we have trained our dogs to associate the crate with just certain day time times. At night they know they have free range of the bedroom floor.

I bought them both dog beds from LL Bean and they sleep on those during the evening. When it is warm they have been sleeping on the bathroom floor since the linoleum is cooler than the carpet. With some time Kona will let you know when he has to go potty and will wake you. Our older dog wakes us when she has to go and the puppy howls when she has to go.

2. As far as the cats go. They will slowly start to get along. We have 1 cat that does not like the dogs and will probably never like the dogs. She spends most of her time sleeping on the chair or the bed. She is safe there as the dogs tend to leave her alone when she is on either item. But i takes time.

3. As far as giving them music. I have discovered that Jazz keeps both of our dogs fairly calm.  I play it for them everyday when we are not home. I tired heavy metal, but my older dog just barked longer.

4. Make sure he has a full variety of chew items. If he has those toys he may just gather them together at night and sleep near them and be quiet. One of our dogs buries her toys under her dog bed and the other one puts her toys back in her 'toy basket' at night or when she is not using them (i was amazed with this one).

5. Training. Are you going to do a group class or a private trainer? We just registered our dogs to start private classes with a lady that uses the 'Tao Philosophy' for dog training. She promises to any type of dog. Our Berner falls into the stubborn catagory and this appears to be the best solution. If you would like her info i can PM you.

6. The jumping when excited should go away with time and training. Our berner is extrmly excitable and she will jump and try to push ya over. Keeping her from jumping is one of our major training focuses.

Overall jay i think you guys are doing great, especially since you just got the dog a week ago.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 03:49:26 PM »
Thanks for the details Eric.

The first night Kona was home with us I slept on the lower level of the house and baby gated it off. Put his little bed there and I slept on the couch and he was pretty good about staying in his bed.

So my real concern is, if he can roam the bedroom, I need to close the bedroom door or baby gate it, but as mentioned before the cats are too old to hurdle it. Well JJ can and he is the oldest, but that isn't really healthy for him to have to do that.

During the day Kona gets the insulated garage. When he gets a litlte older and has some training I will open the doggie door from the garage to the back yard so he can have free reign over that. The shelter and quietness of the garage and the backyard to enjoy himself in.

He has a nice fluffy sqeeky toy, which I hoped would become his security toy. I got him a puppy teething bone which he is just destroying so i need to toss it and get the next bone up for him. I put his toys in the kennel with him at night. He also has a bunch of tennis balls for playing with as well.

For training we enrolled him in a group puppy class. We are also going to stop in for a potty training class this weekend. He is doing really well in that regard, but he is not going where I want him to go. So I need to work on that with him. He is not going anywhere bad, but he unf to the back of th yard behind these HUGE bushes and we can't confirm if he has done everything he needs to do (#2), #1 he will only do in the rocks. Same with #2, but that has to be behind those bushes.

We may try the open sleeping in our room. I think he will be okay, but the one cat needs to get a little more comfortable. So I think Kona will have his own room for the next few weeks while we acclimate the old kitty.

I figure the jumping will go away as well. I am working with him on it already by leaving the leash on him about 90% of the time we are around him (non sleeping time). This way if he gets jumpy or nips we give a little tug on the leash to correct him. Plus it is helping him walk better on it. I suspect int he coming weeks he'll be reaady for his first walk around the block.

I think music will really help him at night and I can put it in the garage for daytime as well.

Thanks again Eric. I just want to be a good owner and raise Kona to be a happy and good dog.