Author Topic: The pet Stork dropped something off at our house!  (Read 6438 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: The pet Stork dropped something off at our house!
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 07:02:40 PM »
We spent many hours training our dogs, but they still are just dogs. We crate them during the day in the cool of the basement and they hang in the room and around the house the rest of the time.
Two Huskies and one Domestic House Cat. The Cat likes to sit or lay on things higher than the dogs and swat at them as they go by. Or just attack and run 'cause they can't catch her. Well, Kahzi's too lazy to run and Tala thinks she's the bees knees :roll:

'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 07:58:58 PM »
After my mad dash home after a lunch time meeting I didn't make it in time and there was a litle puddle and a pile int eh garage. Same places he messed on Monday when we weren't around.

I'm not upset by it, he is being a good boy. But we do have some scrap carpet in the carage that leads to the kegerator...so i don't need shoes to et a beer ;).

I went in the garage and both pieces were by his bed all folded over. They are pretty heavy for a little guy like that. I can only imagine he was wrestling with them pretty good. There were little carpetbits everywhere too so had some cleanup. And had to put the carped up on the trash can where he cant reach.

I am beginning to see the need to maybe crate him during the day until he is a little ilder and all trained up. I just feel bad about it since he spends his nights crated. Maybeone of those collapsable temprary pens is a decent idea until he is a little older?

I can't wait for the time that he can jost mosey on his own inside and out.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 07:58:58 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2006, 12:30:45 PM »
Jay, the need to kennel/crate dogs is huge- if not, they create problems and bad habits and alot of times grow to have separation anxiety. Even if we're home all day, we put the dogs in their kennels for a bit. Generally, they're quite happy to go too.

When they were puppies, the kennel was in the room at night with them in it so we could get them trained. As they got older and could "hold it" through the night and not cause problems, they were out of their kennels. It's their own place, we only allow them in their kennels. We won't go in their either unless to clean or something.

We even kept them on leashes round the house during the learning stage. It helped us immensly training the "good bite/bad bite." We always have rawhides on hand for this. It helped them understand as well, that the whole house is essentially their "kennel" so if they went to the bathroom, we were thier immediately for "good potty/bad potty" training.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »
We'll see how he does today, I should be able to get home at  abetter time since I have no meetings.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »
I tried to crate train Yuki when I first got her.
the first three days were fine (I kept the TV on to keep her company and left a worn shirt inside the crate so my scent could be with her when I'm gone), but a few days that she would scream and yelp all day long and shook the crate so that it actually travelled the entire length of the room.

After that I let her have free reign of the house, which she did very well.  She only chewed on the corners of a couple pieces of furniture for a few weeks, but quicky grew out of that habbit.  Luckily she doesn't chew on shoes or valuables.  A good plastic chew toy is very valuable, Yuki has the same chew toy since I got her and she still uses it today.
After observing me going to the bathroom, she quickly learned to have an 'accident' on the tile floor next to the toilet before she was fully potty trained.

Keeping your dog on a leash inside the house is also good training.  You could attach it to your belt so that you don't have to hold on to it all the time.  Puppy class after 10 weeks old is also very good, you learn so many tips on training and raising a dog.  I really like the classes and trainers they have at Petsmart on Colorado Blvd.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2006, 01:48:12 PM »
Yeah, we are going to training at petsmart starting on the 24th. We couldn't enroll in the one that started Tuesday because of Kona's kennel related illnesses (eye goop and cough). He is pretty much all better now, but it would have been irresponsible to expose other dogs to him.

We are looking forward to the class.  He is getting really good at the sit command and sitting when he walks (or runs) up to us.

We have been working on taking his food way while he is eating to ensure there are no hard feelings.

He'll get a potty training class this weekend and some socialization with my niece and nephews as well as my neighbors dogs (hopefully).

My neighbors are strange. Their dogs all bark, Kona doesn't (knock on wood) so they are frustrated cause their dogs bark at my dog. Who doesn;t bark back. So when one neighbors dog starts barking the other neighbors dog starts in. It is actually kind of funny.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 01:50:22 AM »
Had a potty training class today. Taught us some good tips. So we have a few things to work on with Kona until his formal training starts in about three weeks.

With that, a couple new photos:

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2006, 01:52:32 AM »
Way cute  :thumbup:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 01:08:41 PM »
Wanna see my white eye trick?  :lol:

Way cute.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »
I think your dogs' evil eye is scarier than my dogs evil eye....

Life's too short to be taken seriously