Author Topic: Wow! That's alot of friggin' people...  (Read 2467 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Wow! That's alot of friggin' people...
« on: May 01, 2006, 03:30:24 PM »
Past the Pepsi Center, probably marching down Lawrence and I can STILL see them back to Federal along Speer. Looking down, they've closed off Broadway and 17th streets already. Trying to leave today is gonna suck.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: Wow! That's alot of friggin' people...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
yep. i just came back along 17th. I was being yelled at in spanish about being a gringo in a suit. apparently i am not well liked. needless to say i did not blend in very well.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:46:07 PM »
no one walks anywhere (let alone marches) up here in interlocken.  not even the guys on the golf course are walking.

I guess I am going to miss all the excitement.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 03:51:05 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T";p="45942"
yep. i just came back along 17th. I was being yelled at in spanish about being a gringo in a suit. apparently i am not well liked. needless to say i did not blend in very well.

And they want to work in our country. That's some great respect.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 04:06:45 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="45947"
And they want to work in our country. That's some great respect.

Jay - It is best not to get me started on this whole debate.  

My suggestion was to take all the RTD buses today and load them up and drive the illegals back to the border. I thought a lot of people would be willing to commute and pay to park for the week while the bus's were tied up to resolve the issue.  I made my suggestion to one of the RTD supervisors down at the market Street office and they weren't really receptive of it.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 04:09:27 PM »
The only thing that I have seen it 7th and Broadway is the helicopters hovering.  I am sorry to hear that Eric, it knda defeats the point, go figure.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 05:15:38 PM »
Eric, that's maddening!! I was just out running and started down Sherman to Colfax...passed alot of angry Mexicans hollering at white poeple driving or walking. There were alot of nice Mexicans to though. Still, that's just not good.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 05:26:37 PM »
Being disrespectful is not going to help their cause much.

I heard a lot of noise coming from "down there" as I'm up on the 7th floor at 16th and Broadway. I think they're all headed to Civic Center Park.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

huevon

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 05:38:57 PM »
i work on 16th and broadway and took a couple of pics i will post them up tomorrow.
they are loud!

huevon

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 05:41:36 PM »
well, everyone is leaving the capital now... that was a quick demonstration.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 05:54:11 PM »
The Axis are supposed to demonstrate at 2...those opposed.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 06:19:04 PM »
I saw the march and had to cross through it to take a test.  

Everyone I saw was chatting something in spanish and a couple of mexican flags being waved.  I agree with Jay (not a good way to get your point across).  At least some people had american flags, but I was still disappointed with peoples approach on the protest.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »
I was watching the Fox News report from Denver and the reporter was talking about some of the signs people were carrying.  One said " I am marching today and voting tomorrow"...and I'm sitting here thinking "Not if you're illegal." :roll:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 08:43:18 PM »
that's too bad how many are missing the point about this rally -- it's like having a rude and unappreciative house guest that just won't leave.

I am not against the rally, as this is a free country and everyone's entitled to their own views, but I'm strongly for immigration reforms and against immigrants who have no gratitude about being in this country (legal or not).

I have two reasons why there shoud be a reform:
1. As you most of you know I am Canadian, I'm here legally, I pay my taxes in two countries, pay for my health care, and I contribute positively to my community.  Because I am here legally, the INS has extensive yearly background checks on me (health, criminal, financial, etc.) so that they know I am clean and not a threat to this country -- as I am speaking, my office manager is preparing papers for my work visa renewal which I am flying back to Toronto next weekend on my own time and expense.  
It is insulting to those who spend the time, effort and money to be here legally that these immigrants could cross the border illegally, not paying taxes and using our health care (au gratis) -- this is totally known in society for a while now.  Many employers are to blame as they knowingly hire these illegals and taking advantage of their cheap labour.

2. Secondly I also sympathsize with many of these immgrants who enter our country through extremely rough conditions, many of them dying along the way.  Many Mexicans have died entering our country illegally, but none have died entering legally.  Human trafficing is also a big but dangerous business and the people who are making money off of it don't care about the safety or health of these people being smuggled -- they are treated like disposable goods.  It is really sad to see a Mexican entering our country hoping to make a few bucks for their family back home to die along the way here.

I'm hoping that this immigration reform bill passes which will greatly reduce the number of illegals taking advantage of the system, reduce the needless deaths of illegals trying to enter the country, and ultimately pressure the Mexican government to improve the living and working conditions in their own country.  We shouldn't be taking care of another country's problem when we can't even take care of ourselves (i.e. Katrina victims, lack of universal health care, education cuts, etc.).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 08:52:40 PM »
Good post Alan.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:20 AM »
Quote from: "hotani";p="46006"
Good post Alan.

No kidding.  Excellent post.  

here is your gold star.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 10:51:46 AM »
are we gonna send that post off to the news channels?  As a perspective?

Great comments Alan