Author Topic: not my day with motorized vehicles  (Read 1264 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
not my day with motorized vehicles
« on: May 19, 2006, 04:13:46 AM »
Today after work I stopped off at Andrew's place to pick up a spark plug socket so that I could finally change my spark plugs and wires.
A block away from Andrew's (heading home) I heard a muffled pop noise and all power in the engine of my scooter is lost.  I could not get the engine started electrically or kick started -- the scooter was in the shop a week ago for a new starter, spark plugs and work to the cylinder head.  So I had to walk home, pushing the scooter along side for 8 blocks.

Later tonight, I changed the spark plugs (Beru 4-resistor plugs) and wires (Neuspeed) on my Passat.  At first I thought it will be very fast and easy as everything is right there in front of me with no coil packs in the way (I have a V6).  However, I had to remove the stubborn airbox and hoses so that I could get to cylinder 3.  After everything was done I cleaned up the garage and car and put the airbox and hoses together, zip tied all the wires neatly together, put the covers back on, and put away all of the tools and cleaning supplies.  To my horror when I started the car, the engine wouldn't start!

I thought I did something seriously wrong to my car, but I couldn't figure out how something simple and straight forward as replacing the spark plugs and wires would kill the engine.  I did another check of the engine to see if there are any thing loose or disconnected, and I checked all of the key fuses (last time my car wouldn't start is because of a burnt power door lock fuse which triggered the engine imobilizer).  Still the engine wouldn't start.

Then I remembered that I haven't driven my car for a week and for that whole time my iPod was charging on the dash and I also had an air ionizer/purifier pluged and on at the back seat, so I figured out that the battery was dead.
I called up roadside assistance and in half an hour I got the battery jump started and everything was back to normal.
I initially thought for the worst and planning on getting my car towed to Randy's shop.

Tomorrow I will change the oil and hope nothing else happens (knock on wood).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Re: not my day with motorized vehicles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 04:29:03 AM »
Hope the scooters okay and glad to hear the passat was just a scare.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 04:29:03 AM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 11:47:16 AM »
yeah, that is a good scare.  glad to hear the passat is back to normal, and I hope the scooter is OK too.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 12:16:11 PM »
man thats a tough day. when do you hear whats wrong with the scooter?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 12:33:19 PM »
Alan, that sucks dude. I wanted to do a bunch of maint. work to the truck, get the Jetta's windows tinted and clean the both car this weekend while Tish was out, but no...no can do! I may head home early today my back hurts so bad!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 01:05:43 PM »
I always have problems with my scooter, they are certainly not built like Hondas.  It's pretty high maintanence, but what isn't when it comes from Italy.

But I get 80 mpg and I could park it anywhere.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 09:08:13 PM »
yeah, if I was going to stay in denver I would have definately gotten a little scooter to scoot around on.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 10:02:11 AM »
80 MPG   8O ...

Come on VW, where you at?
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood